• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Foods

Hello everyone!! We're back with a question about pizza. When TJ went through all of this we tried different diets, doctor said he didn't have celiac disease (basically said this is normal) but for some reason whenever he eats pizza he gets sick. And only pizza. He loves dairy. He has cut his Vitamin D milk from 2-3 gallons a week to 1 gallon a week. We are tying to figure out if the quantity of cheese that is on the pizza is what is making him sick or what else it could be. we've had pizza and the leftovers almost all week also other food but pizza has ALWAYS been the one thing. Doctor told us since he didn't have crohns not to diet like you would if you have it but we tried a tuna and rice casserole with white rice, very yummy....and yup it made his stool very big and solid. other than that he is doing well! Thanks for all your help and support :)

It could be a number of things. The yeast in the dough, tomato paste, the type or quantity of cheese or other ingredients on the pizza. What kind of toppings are on the pizza that he usually gets?

Like Johnny said though, grease can't help either. Too much makes my tummy queasy. Maybe trying patting down some of the grease off of the pizza with a napkin next time? Vegetables like onions and peppers, and mushrooms can also do a number on the gut as well.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi Teresa! If you are getting take-out pizza, then I vote grease, too. But if you are making your own, then, as the others said above, there are lots of options. From what I've learned (here and in Crohn's books), some the most common pizza triggers could be cheese, fatty meat (pepperoni, regular beef), onions, mushrooms, other vegetables, and tomato sauce.

My primary problem with pizza is the tomato sauce (so, I make my own and go easy on the sauce).

Good luck!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Teresa, EJ does not do well with pizza or spaghetti so we assume it's the tomato sauce. Good luck:)

Hi Teresa. I avoid all wheat and gluten foods as well as corn. You may want to try Amy's gluten free rice pizza and see if it helps. For me, it's not the sauce, but what the sauce goes on; pizza dough and noodles (wheat and gluten). Also, check out my blog where I describe exactly what I can and cannot eat. I hope your son feels better soon......Lynne

www.HowIbeatCrohns-Lynne.blogspot.com

I don't know yet what it is about pizza, especially from either of the 2 superpowers of pizza delivery. All goes down OK, but it's an all nighter on and off the toilet. Add some hot wings to the order and oh yeah, I'm really having fun. What is strange is I can eat tomatoes or any of the other ingredients in a pizza and it doesn't happen. Been this way for 22 years. Everytime without fail, it's the same outcome. :poo:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
In addition to all the other ingredients that those above me have mentioned, I'd also like to say that if there was garlic on it, that could have affected him. Garlic always upsets me terribly for several days. Or maybe there was one particular seasoning that doesn't agree with him. But I do agree that the most likely culprit is probably the grease. If you make pizza at home, try leaving off some of the ingredients and see if that improves things for him. Good luck!

I get that with pizza too (mainly a Dominoes indulgence) so i'd agree that it might be the grease, I make my own pizza and don't get it with that so maybe trying homemade pizza if you have time???

We get pizza hut and get the hand tossed so there is a lot less grease with that. he like the meat pizza which includes, pepperoni, sausage, and beef. also get pepperoni, chicken and black olives on the other one. we've tried a gluten free diet but never seemed to be it, that is why we question pizza :( Thanks guys! We'll try the suggestions and look into it.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi: Have you tried cutting out the pepperoni? I love my pepperoni but it doesn't love me back. :)