• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How it began

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Apparently this is where I'm supposed to start.

I'm now approaching my the 2nd anniversary of my initial flare and diagnosis of UC.

It started in August of 2008. I had pneumonia, spent a week in the hospital and quit smoking.

October 2008 I finally moved out on my own, no room mates, moved into the city to be closer to work as opposed to staying in the suburbs. 2 weeks after I moved I started getting sick, I assumed it was food poisoning, from what I hear most people assume that's what it is. After a couple of weeks it didn't go away, and I saw some blood. I didn't have GP, so i went to the walk in clinic, they ordered some tests, and gave me antibiotics. I was still functioning, a bit run down. I head back into the clinic to see if the results were in, they weren't so they gave a referral to a GI.

I started to loose weight, and it went down hill fast. Still no word from the clinic or the GI they had sent my info to.

We're now 4 weeks into it. I'm going to the washroom every hour. I can't eat anything, I made a box of Stove Top Stuffing, it took me 3 days to finish. I can't sleep more than 45 minutes at a time. It's a Sunday night, after a week of not eating or sleeping, I promised my girlfriend that if I hadn't heard from the GI's office in 48hrs I would go back to a doctor.

The next day I tried to go to work, after about 30 minutes at the office in I find myself holding back my tie as I was throwing up the iced tea I drank. I talked to my boss and the director (who had complimented me on the weight loss the previous week), I took a cab home to try and nap before heading over to the hospital.

I spent 3 days in the ER on a morphine drip, antibiotics and saline. they eventually moved me a to a room, and put me on steroids.

The GI clinic I was referred to called me after I had been in the hospital for a week.

After 2 weeks they took me off the morphine. I had yet to respond to the steroids, I was still going to the washroom every 30 minutes. Then they started sending in surgeons to talk to me. After 2.5 weeks in the hospital and a few days before they were going to perform emergency surgery to remove my colon, things got better, in the span of two days I was suddenly only 8 times a day. They asked if I had recently quit smoking, I said yes. They danced around the question, until I point blank asked if me quitting smoking had any correlation to the UC, eventually they said yes, but that I shouldn't start smoking again, because the damage is done.

They released me after 3 weeks, I spent another week at my parent's recovering and spent a grand total of 2 moths off of work. It left me severely anemic, and 60 pounds lighter.

Things were going well, in the spring they tried to take me off of prednisone, that didn't go well. Then in the middle of the Summer they tried Imuran, after a couple of weeks I was back in the hospital with pancreatitis.

Then in May of this year I started getting weak, I went in for a routine follow up, and they took blood. The next day my doctor called and said I need to be admitted that day because I was in desperate need of a blood transfusion. While I was there they took a look around to find the source of the bleeding and they couldn't, it's just somewhere I was bleeding and they didn't know where. They upped my steroids and gave me a couple of transfusions

Then in June I was back in the hospital with blood clots, most likely because of the steroid increase.

So here we are at the end of July, I'm in a flare up that started 2 weeks ago, my diet has consisted of Ensure, Gatorade and instant noodles and I've dropped 15 pounds in that time, I'm a tubby guy so it doesn't affect me too much (the only positive thing to come out of this). My GI appointment is on Tuesday. And I'm a TB test away from starting Remicade (the test is also on Tuesday).

All because I quit smoking (one of the few things that I was really good at), I started up again, but it wasn't related to the UC, I just didn't feel nearly as cool as I once was.

Last edited:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
They danced around the question, until I point blank asked if me quitting smoking had any correlation to the UC, eventually they said yes, but that I should start smoking again, because the damage is done.
So the docs told you to start smoking again? How was smoking keeping UC at bay? I have heard user Ameslouise say something similar to this about flares starting when she tried to quit smoking. She is crohn's though not uc. It is odd to hear a doc recommend this. I'd like to hear their reasoning.

Hope the Remi gets you into remission. There's is a Rem club thread on here in the treatments section that is almost completely positive from what I've seen of it. Good luck Von!!!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
that was a typo, they said i shouldn't start again.

So there are two theories with smoking and UC. One is that it's the nicotine that the colon loves. The other is that the hydrogen cyanide in the smoke reacts with a chemical in the colon that UC patients have a excess of, and lack the gut flora to remove (the chemical escapes me at the moment).

I've been skimming through the Remicade thread over the past couple of days, I hope it helps me with remission, as I can no longer remember what it was like before the initial flare up.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hello and welcome fellow Canadian. I read your story,my first worst flare was right after moving. A strange flu and time past and I moved again, boom sick the day I move in. Then a year after that was a dx of Crohns. Stress is a factor.

I have a friend who's daughter had UC and was a smoker but she only quit when she was in the hospital and I have heard smoking can keep it at bay, or so they say.

I am glad you quit smoking, I quit to 9 years ago and I cant say I am any better or worse for it. I too cannot tolerate Imuran, affected my liver within days.

Remicade has done wonders for so many, some people so far 5 years. Glad you are here, lots of people to help you and give their experiences. Welcome aboard!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi vonfunk and :welcome:

Yeah, I've read some articles about the link between keeping UC under control and smoking. I think there have been some studies with the use of nicotine patches, but it is about keeping it in remission once the flare is under control.

I hope Remicade works for you, keeping my fingers crossed! :)

I'm glad you found us and welcome aboard.

Take care,
Dusty

Astra

Hi vonfunk
and welcome

My friend Danielle has UC and she packed the fags in and ended up hospitalized! weird theory innit?
and yet, quite the opposite with Crohns!
really hope you find some relief with the Remi, lots of success stories with it on here
let us know how you get on
lotsa luv
Joan xxx