• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Private Capsule Endoscopy in the Uk

Hi guys i'm new to the forum,
basically i think i have had crohns for over a year now, my GI saw crohns in my illeum but the biopsy came back negative.

Therefore i am going to pay for a capsule endoscopy and just wanted to ask if anyone else has been down that road and paid for it themselves? I have had an estimate for around £1900.

Has anyone had one that has been cheaper?

Thanks

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Jim, welcome! If you'll post in Your Story, you'll get more responses. I can't help you myself but many here can. Come in to Your Story and intro yourself to everybody. Good luck!!

I'm due for a capsule endoscopy on the NHS, is there no way the GI that you see can send you somewhere that will perform one without you having to pay out?

If I had the money I'd be paying privately to hurry everything along, so I can totally understand why you're considering this, but given due to darn Crohn's I'm in and out of work that's not an option!

Maybe you should try to find a doctor who will treat you like they would a patient who has Crohns, even though yours isn't "diagnosed" yet. I too showed inflammation in my terminal ilieum but biopsies were normal. I went to three different doctors and now the one I'm finally at told me well, we can treat you as if you had Crohns and see if it helps. If it does, we can assume you have Crohns... See if you can go this route to save some money??? Good luck!