• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohns Story

Well mine as most started the same way ad most. Needing the toilet a lot. When I went to the doctor, he gave different diagnosis' within a 3 month period. The obvious ideas was celiac, and a lactose intolerance. After a few doctors I got to Dr. Ayub. A brilliant doctor, who made me have tests, and trialed me on different medications (can't remember the names, I was only 12 at this point) but after. A barium meal and colonoscopy I was given Olsalazine and Azathioprine. Then I went into remission after the drugs started to regulate.

But recently (past few months) my symptoms have come back...and hard. That is why I joined this forum to be able to understand this condition and find out other peoples experiences which might help me finally accept me having this condition.

Thanks

Dallies

Dragonfly
Hi Lewis, and welcome. Please PM Megz! You have been through so much at such a young age. There are quite a few young people on this forum who no doubt you will meet soon. It's lovely to have you here. And welcome fellow Brit it's lovely to have you here. xxxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Lewis, glad you found us!! Welcome!! My son was dxed last Dec. at age 10. I hope you'll stick around cause we could learn a lot from you. Nice find Dallies:).

Thanks. Well I have never been able to talk to other IBD suffers. I must admit I think if I had i might be able to of asked questions that doctors wont know. A very warm welcome from a brit is very kind. I will PM her in a minute ha ha xxx

Hi Lewis welcome from a fellow new member, Im realy enjoyiing it and lots of good advice on here and very nice people.

Take Care Sue

Hi Lewis, glad you found us!! Welcome!! My son was dxed last Dec. at age 10. I hope you'll stick around cause we could learn a lot from you. Nice find Dallies:).
I know a few things, any questions I'll gladly answer. That's if I know the answer ha ha XD I'm sorry about you son. I got my symptoms when I was late 10, nearly 11. It is hard for him i bet xx

Heya Lewis, yeah I was diagnosed at the age of 12, great time to be diagnosed with this when you're just starting secondary school, as if that isn't hard enough!lol
Megs is right there's so many lovely people here who can give great advice, comfort and listen when you need to have a huge vent! I joined for exactly the same reasons as you things were getting hard and luckily I found this place to turn to, hope things pick up for you soon :)

Astra

Hi Lewis
and welcome fellow Brit
we're really taking over!

My sister lives in Shropshire, a place called Shrawardine, Shrewsbury!
glad you found us and fire away with any questions, are you still on Aza?
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Heya Lewis, yeah I was diagnosed at the age of 12, great time to be diagnosed with this when you're just starting secondary school, as if that isn't hard enough!lol
Megs is right there's so many lovely people here who can give great advice, comfort and listen when you need to have a huge vent! I joined for exactly the same reasons as you things were getting hard and luckily I found this place to turn to, hope things pick up for you soon :)

Well its nice to know that other people know how I felt. I was just finishing primary school. How was secondary school for you? Xx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Lewis and :welcome:

Good to see you here. As others have mentioned, there a quite a few young adults on here and parents on here for their kids so you are a very welcome addition. If you don't mind me asking, what is your treatment at present?

As you have probably already worked out there's stacks of great people hanging out here so I hope you stick around. Welcome aboard!

All the best,
Dusty

Hi Lewis and :welcome:

Good to see you here. As others have mentioned, there a quite a few young adults on here and parents on here for their kids so you are a very welcome addition. If you don't mind me asking, what is your treatment at present?

As you have probably already worked out there's stacks of great people hanging out here so I hope you stick around. Welcome aboard!

All the best,
Dusty
Hi there Dusty! There are a lot of awesome people on here. Currently I am on Olsalazine and Azathioprine and Mebeverine for pain. And obviously Imodium for the obvious XD no surgery to date....yet...still many years till it comes to that.I hope

Thanks

How about you?
Well an experience. Not many people understood when I was ill. Even the teachers thought I was lazy, and thought o skipped school, buti was so ill I had my own toilet pass. Now that thing was useful. Save me a lot of time arguing with teachers. Once a teacher said no and I just ran out of lesson.

I had a few friends that understood so I managed as well as any teenager could. Especially as popularity was important to me back then xx

I didn't have any trouble with teachers at all which was great however I did give up on popularity after the first year of pred, if I ever get the courage to post it on here you'll understand why! In turn me and my friends were the TOTAL squares I guess I have to thank steroids for getting great grades lol x

Thanks Kelly.

Yeah I had some trouble with kids my age too. I might explain too one day, dies take alot. I had tw courses of steroids. Messes with my head though. I was like a 5 year old at 12/13 ha ha xx

Hey crohns, I understand where your coming from also being diagnosed at a young at, I was 16 when diagnose...now 20. School can be rough when you are flaring or having problems. But just keep in mind you should just be yourself and if people cant deal with that then screw em. You wiill prob never see them again after school

Hi Lewis
and welcome fellow Brit
we're really taking over!

My sister lives in Shropshire, a place called Shrawardine, Shrewsbury!
glad you found us and fire away with any questions, are you still on Aza?
lotsa luv
Joan xxx
Hi Joan

Just wondered if you heard all the fuss re: calcium tabs?

Sue x

Hey crohns, I understand where your coming from also being diagnosed at a young at, I was 16 when diagnose...now 20. School can be rough when you are flaring or having problems. But just keep in mind you should just be yourself and if people cant deal with that then screw em. You wiill prob never see them again after school
Yeah I learnt that lesson later on in school. I went into remission when I was 15 (i think). But then college came, everyone from new schools, new friends as well. Same friends to this day. But I still keep my condition a secret from most, through embarrassment, and to prevent school all over again. Still I have one friend who knows all about my condition, and is always there to help me if trouble hits.

Ain't it better to have one person to rely on than a few people who little bits of it?

Thanks Ethan

Dallies

Dragonfly
Lewis I think in time you will open up to more people and it's so wonderful you are making friends here. Because Megan's Crohns came mid GCSEs (She ended up doing two in hospital) she has always been very open and explains her condition to all her friends and they are so supportive and understanding. She ended up having her 16th birthday party still on a liquid diet and therefore she didn't have a birthday cake but all her friends had milkshakes in her honour. She still hasn't had her birthday cake! Hopefully after her surgery this month........:wink:

Dallies well its hard not to make friends here. Everyone is so nice.

I can definitely agree Meg is very open about her crohns. And she does seem to have had it harder than I have. Not having cake on her birthday, that is rough (even at 18 i have cake) her friends seem very loyal and really do understand her condition very well.

Xx