• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

This is my story......this may be our last chance

Ok so some of the fellow nerds will get that reference :) Hello my name is Brian. I am 26 years old and have had crohn's for a while. When I was younger every few months I would get really terrible stomach aches and be in the bathroom for a while. I just thought that was normal and didn't think much about it. Several years ago I began having trouble going to the bathroom. I went through all of the fun tests and found out I have crohn's disease in my intestine and dormantly in my colon.

I was prescribed Endocort but that only worsened my constipation. I then was put on Asacol (three pills, twice a day) which helped me get regular. I still have flareups that get really bad (I say I'm crohnzin which is why thats my login name).

I also have bladder issues. I believe as does my doctor that they are directly related. I know that if my crohn's is acting up and/or I dont have a good bowel movement, my bladder is going to act up.

It took a few years and a few bad doctors to finally find a good doctor who ran the right tests and found I have overactive bladder with cystitis and incontinence. I have enough scar tissue in my bladder that it nearly has spit my bladder in two. This is a problem that flares up more often and I'm having a harder time getting a hold of. It is a lot better though after being put on Elmiron (three times a day). I used to have to pee every 15-20 minutes at best and every 2-3 minutes at worst (that would only last an hour or so thankfully.) Now I am at every hour or so and at best as long as 2 hours or more. It makes a big difference but I still suffer from incontinence after I pee which is not fun.

I have recently started a few supplements to try and help with Crohn's (I feel like getting the Crohn's in optimal shape will also have significant impact on my bladder.)

I take 8 billion Florasmart probiotics, once a day. I've noticed a difference. My stomach feels much more at peace. I've been having horrible pain throughout my body, particularly in my neck that has improved significantly since I started the probiotics.

I take Completegest a digestive enzyme. I've noticed a difference although it makes my stomach hurt a bit, so I might try another brand.

I take omega fish oils called coromega. I haven't noticed a real difference.

I want to take multivitamins but that is a challenge. I have read that B6 and other vitamins help crohn's and the malabsorbtion that comes along with crohn's. However I have been told by some that vitamin c can irritate the bladder so I'm kind of unsure what to do. I've just been weighing my options and figuring out a multivitamin to try and see if it affects my bladder negatively or not. I know I am nutriently deficient.

I forgot to mention I have also had heart palpatations for years. Sometimes my heart flutters but the worst problem is where my heart beats very hard. Not fast per say, but like someone is punching the inside of my chest. It happens at night generally (like last night) and can keep me up for a while. I talk to a guy who says its perhaps from eletrolyte imbalance and/or a nutrient deficiency.

One problem I have had for years that may or may not be related is a body heat problem. I am feel very warm often. My feet get so hot that I cannot wear sneakers. Other parts of my body get just as warm as well. Even in the winter I may feel the cold of the wind but still feel hot as well (if that makes sense.) If you just touch my ear it turns bright red within seconds and burns for hours subsequenly.

As a result of liquids basically going right through me into my overactive bladder I do not drink a whole lot. It also takes a whole lot for me to sweat. I went to the beach the other day in 85 degree weather and only sweat in my armpits. I used to work out with weights and running the treadmill and barely if at all sweat. The body heat thing has been a hard thing to live with. I don't know if all these things are related or not, but thats my story.

Last edited:
Hah. The only non sports game I play...nice title.

And hey brian, Ill be honest...I only read the first paragraph because I got lazy but I still wanted to reply...lol.

But I hope you find answers or what not on here. Its a great place.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hey Brian, welcome!! I read something today that might be of interest to you. I don't actually have the article so this will be vague. It was in Smithsonian magazine. There is a research lab at Wake Forest University that has developed a system to grow new bladders using the transplantees own donor cells. The article stated that there were a number of children and young adults who have already received these transplants and that the results are promising.

They are also researching ways to grow other organs and body parts using these methods... who knows what might be possible eventually.

Hi Brian

I only joined the group today after 30+ years of crohn's. I can relate to the bladder. The very first pain I ever had before Dx was after getting up in the morning to empty my bladder and after doing so when I stood up (thats because I'm a sitter) I doubled over in pain. When I have a flare up start, I have a urine test because that where my pains start. The urine test comes back negative and then I know its the crohn's. As for the heat issuse I was going through menopause blaming that for my hot flushes till I relalised they where comming back and more fequent with a flare ups. I also feel isolated areas of heat in different spots on my body, feels like someone holes a glass on something refecting the sun to the spot. Best wishes and take care.

Hi Dexky, I read that article as well and was very encouraged. I also saw them talk about something similiar on 60 minutes.

Hi Cheryl, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't actually have any pain associated with my bladder. I don't have any blood in my urine either which is why my case isn't classified as interstitial cystitis. My bladder flares up by me having to pee frequently, there is no pain associated with it. When my crohn's flares up (there is a lot of pain with that) I find I have to pee more often. As for the heat thing, that is similiar to me. My body on the whole in general feels pretty warm with different spots at different times feeling warmer.

Thank you for the replies.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Brian and :welcome:

Holey dooley you do have a lot to deal with! With the whole temperature control thing, Homeostasis, it is normally controlled through the hypothalamus but there is also some connection with the gut and it is believed that this may have some effect on those that immune issues due the effect the disease has on the bacterial load. So maybe it is related.

I hope you can get your bladder issues sorted through controlling your Crohns. It would be great if you could stick around here 'cause it sounds like you have plenty to offer!

Welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Astra

Hi Brian
and welcome

Yes, you do have a lot going on! glad you found us tho, stick around, lots of friends here for you, young ones too!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx