• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could use some help and advise

could use some help and advise

i just have a few questions regarding wound care after surgury, possibility of hernia after surgury, pentassa dosage and flares. first question-how long does it take for my scar to heal. its been 4 months and still looks very red and raised although it closed 3 months ago, and it is sensative. the colo rectal surgeon says its coming along. great advise. also, i have exercised my whole life, so i am really fit, i have done thousands of sit ups, running and my body fat percentage is about 4 percent, yet i noticed a small bulge near the site, so i am thinking some sort of hernia may be forming, who knows. the doctors really dont tell you much, its like pulling teeth and i have one of the best in the united states, but she is quick. i am just thinking about this. regarding flares- i never had one, so i dont know what to look for, although, i went to the toilet in my car after a a slice of pizza in march. i just could not hold it. now i am afraid to drive alot. how many times a day constitutes a flare? and regarding pentassa- do you take it all at once, spread it out throught the day? is there a best way of doing this. i am sorry to bother you guys, but this is all new and my gi and colo rec surgeon, really dont say much. they actually told me to join a supprt group and get online info. really makes me have angry. they just test, operate, perscribe and they are very good. i go to probobly one of the best gi and surgical groups in the northeast, but i guess they are pressed for time, like most doctors. once again, i appreciate any help.:confused2:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Maxi, your pill bottle should explain dosing and other necessary info ie. take with food, water etc.. I can't speak to any other of your questions, but after reading about some of the flares on here, I'd say you'll know one when you get one. Good luck!! You might get better advice now if you ask these questions in the Support Forum though.

Astra

Hi Maxi

regarding Pentasa, I spread mine out through the day, 2 x 4 times a day, after meals.
regarding flares, everyone's BMs are different, if you were having a major flare, you'd know it! lots of toilet trips, diarrhea, urgency, abdo pains, nausea, maybe vomiting, etc
sorry can't help with surgery questions, I've not had Crohns surgery, I had a hysterectomy and it took a good 6 months to heal my wound, til it went white.
xxxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Maxi,

About the wound, it is normal for scar tissue, produced due to surgery, to be raised and red, it is due to the way the wound heals after surgery. It will eventually fade and how long this will take varies. In Roo's case I think it was about 12 months before it became a very light pink colour.

Where, in relation to your wound, is the lump? It is possible, following surgery, to develop an incisional hernia. If this is the case it is something you need to speak to your doctor about.

Also, what do you mean when you say the scar is sensitive?

Sorry for all the questions, :)
Dusty

hey dusty, ty so for getting back to me and i read about the incisional hernia, i will find out this week, but i have no pain, so maybe i am just looking at everything to much. regarding the scar, i figured it would be ok by now, but i guess its to soon. sometimes i get some pain when i touch it, but i should not be doing that either. hopefully. it will be ok, and you can ask me anything, i am very open about this stuff and life in generel. ty very much again for your help. its nice to know that people care on here. i dont have any family around and my friends have there own problems, so its just me. i am very happy to have found you guys and ty so again.