• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed

Hi! I'm 33 years old women, living in Amsterdam. I was just recently diagnosed with Chrons. Was 3 weeks in the hospital in June, cortisone didn't do it for me, got a bacteria in my bowels and finally was treated with Remicade, which helped to get me out of the hospital in 3 days. So, still in Remicade, should have my 3rd infusion tomorrow. Having a flare at this very moment, have had some quite good days/weeks as well, still always having at least diarrhea. Also got hives all around my torso, side effects from Remicade, I assume.

I don't believe western medication will help me in the long run, so trying to find ways/diets to calm my bowels down and to get in remission. And of course, at some point, I want to get rid of Remicade... But it will take time, I went in such a bad condition in the hospital, going to toilet 20 times a day, having almost every night 39c fever, lost 9 kilos... But I'll do anything(!) to get back to normal life and feeling again.

Nice to meet you all, happy to find a place with peeps who understand what I'm going through.

p.s. English is not my first language :)

Hey Troll - Welcome! I have been to your wonderful city and loved it. My husband has relatives in Loenen Au Vecht. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis and hope you find something that brings you relief!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
HI Troll welcome! Many people do well on Remicade and some cramp or have symptoms just before their next infusion. We fully understand the side effects of medications but sometimes we do what we have to. Diet and stress plays somewhat of a role, taking care of yourself and rest is important. This is disease is hard to control and dealing with other symptoms like rashes, fatigue, joint pain, nausea, diahreah and some constipate. Hope you get some relief soon, lots of people here to cheer you on! :hang:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Troll and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. Sorry to hear about the rough time you have been having and I hope Remicade brings you relief. We have a Remicade Club here so it may useful for you to browse through.......................

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=4544

Also the Food and Diet section is great. Many people here take supplements and have alternate treatments as a way of keeping their IBD under control, some without the addition of conventional medicine and some in with, so there are many different experiences to read about and consider. I hope you stick around 'cause this is a safe and friendly place for support and info.

Welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Hi Jettalady! Thanks for you kind words :)
For me it's not just the side effects. I'd be happy using medications, if I feel some improvement in my condition. My problem is, I get severe reactions from so many medications, or they just don't work. Of course I hope Remicade will work for me! Having said that, I know that where I'm treated, many people have gone into remission and then gradually quit Remicade. So, here they don't think it necessary has to be a life long thing. Dutch people in general are really careful with medicating, for example, they don't easily prescribe antibiotics. I'm from Finland myself, over there it's another story...

Thanks DustyKat for your words and the link! Much appreciated!

I feel a lot better already knowing I'm in touch with people who are going through the same thing.

Astra

Hi Troll
and welcome

I know how you feel about meds, but sometimes we need them, remember that Crohns is inflammation, and no amount of diet or lifestyle change will get rid of it, only appropriate meds, sometimes steroids do the trick or the biologics like you're on. Diet certainly helps with Diarrhea, and staying stress free helps too.
The low residue diet works for me, gives my bowels a rest during a flare, find this in the diet section on the forum.
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi Troll, welcome to the wacky world of Crohnies. We are all hee for you and don't worry about the Englishthing. A lot of here use it everyday and slaughter it really, really bad.

I'm doing Remicade and I am loving it. I've had Crohns for 24 yrs and I've had some really bad times and really good times, but since starting Remi I've been doing great. I can even eat pizza again, just not every day.
Every one here will give you good advice and best of all, support. Hang in there hon and things will get better.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Troll, I can't really add anything. Just wanted to say welcome and your English is phenomenal!! Good luck!! Few on here have the experience that Jett has!!

Hi Troll,
I am new here as well, just found these wonderful people. Took me a stint in the hospital to finally make the time to look for a support forum. Now that I have found all these.... generous people, willing to share their, life styles, opinions, information, life experiences. I am like a sponge, it is a relief to read and learn. I hope you find the same experience that I have. You will find the support you need to get through difficult time. Regards,

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, Troll, and welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you here. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Thank you all! I'm so glad I found this forum!

I woke up my guts feeling better and today I'll get my 3rd Remicade. I hope it goes well.

See you around!