• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you handle citrus and gassy vegetables?

Is Citrus fruit suitable for us with IBD? I read in lots of places that we should avoid citrus. From my side if I drink orange juice, or eat some tangerines, I don't feel very good in my stomach. I think it's all the acid.... The only thing I can handle is some lemon squeezed on food.

Also what about gassy vegetables like broccoli or cabbage. Every time I try to eat them (even if they are thoroughly cooked), I get so much cramping and pain that I want to cry....

I know all of these things are supposed to be eaten because they are good for our health, but I don't know if they are suitable for people with IBD.

i can handle lemons and limes (they actually make me feel good) but i can't handle orange juice at all. i also drink grape juice and fine with it. dunno why orange juice is different though. i guess too much of anything is bad

Last edited:
K

kix66

Healthy Eating

The only fruit I can handle are bananas, apples (no skin) & plums (very little skin)...all the rest are too fiberous or acidic.

Forget gassy veggies like cabbage, brussel sprouts or asperagus, I suffer for days after eating them. Also, no peas or corn due to the outer part is not digestible.

It is very hard for us to eat "healthy". I take a muti-vitamin.

:smile:

R

ruthymg

I eat whatever veg I fancy but tend to avoid fruit and fruit juices as they disagree with me. I also avoid high fibre foods and fatty or spicy foods. Too much milk also disagrees with me. Luckily I am not vitamin deficient, so I'm doing something right lol

Ruth

I'm allergic to citrus, so don't have the opportunity to test that one. But I don't eat any fruits anymore, or veggies unless they are cooked very soft, and no skins or seeds, of course. I really miss apples, but can't even drink the juice because it causes painful bloating and heartburn. I can eat bananas, but don't really like them (the smell is a total turn-off for me), so I don't have one very often. And papayas! They made me eat papayas every day in the hospital & I got sick of them. I should try them again as they are supposed to be very good for problem digestive tracts. And I can pluck them free all over the neighborhood, too!

G

GeoGiGi

mmmmmmmmmm... papaya! I've been dreaming about it for weeks (in Dec I'm going to Hawaii and can't wait for fresh papaya).

My GI told me no OJ-- too acidic for us. But of course I still drink OJ sometimes. After finishing my last carton of it (two weeks ago) I vowed not to buy any more-- and I can feel the difference. Same thing with the whole fruit. I can do bananas but all my other favorite fruits are very BAD with me (strawberries, blueberries, cherries).

Veggies-- broccoli!!! It feels like someone is taking a rake through my intestines. Ouch. I can do salad on a good day, but on bad days... no way. Bell peppers are pretty much always out because of the skins. Same thing with tomatos (my fav, so sad!).

I do a little salad every now & then, but the price I pay for that indulgence is quite steep. And the few that I do eat are mostly just lettuce and shredded carrot, as those are a little easier for me than most raw veggies.

Blueberries! I eat blueberry muffins or pancakes every now and then, but, again, the after-effects usually keep me away.

Anyone wandering in and seeing this would think we are food-obsessed. Oh wait ... we are!

I never have any problems with acidic foods. But I was allergic to oranges when I was a kid, maybe that had something to do with the Crohn's.

W

Wlmsports

No Fruit, No Vegs

Have not had either (besides and avacado) in 9 years. I do drink OJ and other fruit juices and I'm usually ok. I was obstructed on broccoli once and heard all greens are bad for crohns, i became tramatized and cut it all out.

No OJ or grapefruit juice, or gassy vegetables, or raw fruit and veggies, except bananas in 10 years.
I can eat a few fresh green beans though, well cooked.
And well cooked fresh carrots go down well.
Sometimes I sneak in a strawberry.
I only drink apple juice which they started me on in the hospital.
Then I sneak another strawberry.
Also the only cereal is Special K that I can handle..
guess it's because it's a rice cereal.
..then maybe another strawberry....
No salad...the lettuce gets to me..but to get the flavour
I will peel and take the seeds out of a couple slices of tomatoe,
chop it, and add a bit of Italian dressing..just to satisfy my craving for salad.
...oh those strawberries! :)

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
OJ juice seems to have become an issue for me . . . of course, when I crave it, I drink like a whole bottle at a time . . . and then, not so good a bodily response. Sad. I love the stuff!