• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis affecting the entire colon in about 1972. It was managed with Salazopyrin and prednisone and regular colonoscopies. After one such examination in 2008 I was advised that there was cancer present and just starting and that I should have an operation within 6 months. I was told that a re-section was not an option and that I would need a total colectomy as the remaining colon was not in good enough condition to re-section. I had the operation within a month and was told that the cancer was particularly aggressive and that we had only just got it in time, so glad I took the first available appointment and didn't take my time to mull it over! I had a temporary ileostomy and then a reversal. Since then I have been having constant trouble with infections and am not happy about being on anti-biotics all the time, I am currently on Ciproflaxin for a two week course and the surgeon suggested pro-biotics so am also taking VSL#3 and have been doing so for some months although it does not seem to prevent the infection recurring. I have just recently also been diagnosed with rosacea and the GP tells me this is the UC symptoms presenting in a different way, so I was disappointed to find that after getting rid of my colon I did not get rid of the colitis. I went looking it up and came across this support group.
Thanks for the support and shared knowledge and experience.
Heb (in Australia)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Heb, welcome!! How long did you have the ostomy and is there any suggestion about making it permanent? It just seems for many that has been the best move. Wow, 38 years, you're going to be a real asset to the forum!!! Stick around!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi again Heb, :bigwave:

I'm so glad to see posted in this forum. I hope you continue to stick around 'cause it would be great to have you here. Welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

I had the ostomy for approximately two months and sometimes wonder if it was easier to manage than having infections all the time. I did have some issues with skin rashes from the glue though, but they were not bad, didn't have long enough to get bad I guess, perhaps if I had a permanent stoma that would be an issue, but one that everyone learns to deal with.

Astra

Hi Heb
and welcome

wow that's a long time!
glad you found us and we'll see you around the boards!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx