• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any other athletes out there?

Hi. New to the forum, and new to Crohn's. I was diagnosed a little over a month ago, smack in the middle of my bicycle racing season. I've been track racing for five years, and was really an up and coming athlete. Last year I got a few national metals and was right on track to be even faster this year! That is, until the stomach aches, bloating, and cramping came along. I couldn't get enough calories in, and haven't been able to train correctly since June. I haven't given up yet, though. I have pretty mild symptoms but they're still enough to keep me off the bike most days. I'm on entocort and mesalamine. What I am really hoping for is that there is some other athlete out there who can help me figure out how to manage my guts enough to be able to train. I keep looking online, and there are plenty of articles about athletes with Crohn's who go on to do amazing thing. All the articles I've found are more inspirational than how-tos. I don't need to be inspired; that doesn't do me any good if I still don't know how to get from point A to point B. I have a biology degree, so I have some basic understanding of the human body. A and P didn't cover, unfortunately, why my ulcers would hurt when I do a hard effort on the bike.

Any thoughts? Feel free to e-mail if you have anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that could help!

The fact that you haven't given up is the most important part of living with Crohns. You are going to have to educate yourself as much as possible to understand this disease and how it affects you personally. Have COMPLETE bloodwork done regularly. I can't begin to tell you how much Crohns screws that up. I found I was deficient in iron, folic acid, testosterone, Vitamins D,B12,C and others. I'm not an athlete, but I am a novice bodybuilder and these deficiencies will hinder anyone in physical training. Also, keep a food diary. It is a pain, but extremely important. I have found that fresh foods prepared at home are the best. Try to avoid the processed stuff. It's your body, and eveyone is different, so unfortunately, there's no standard for everyone.
After a year of getting my blood back to normal, I'm back to getting in great workouts. I'm 54 so maybe it won't take you as long. Good luck.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Velo and welcome!! Wow, you must be special!! Saddletramp has two posts since Nov last and you got one of them. Welcome back Saddletramp!!! Where ya been??? It sounds like good advice ST has given so I'll just say good luck and stick around!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Velo and :welcome:

Welcome aboard! Sorry.....I am no athlete! Where is your Crohns located? If you have malabsorption then as saddletramp has said you may be deficient in many things. Are you having bloods done that test for Iron Stores, Folate and B12? I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you but you may find info that is useful to you if you browse through the food and diet forum and the treatment forum.

Take care, :)
Dusty

Astra

Hi Velodrome
and welcome

How about checking out Sir Steve Redgrave's website, an Olympic Rower with Crohns?
There are some athletes on this forum, hopefully they'll come along and advise you.
sorry can't help much but welcome aboard
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

I am a weightlifter when I can. Your nutrition regimine is important and you should check with both a nutritionist and a phlebotimist. I know your doctor should be heavily involved in your training and you might want to look up a sports doctor with experience in Crohn's.:grumpy:

I haven't gotten any blood work done yet, but will look into that this week. Right now I'm on Pentasa and Entocort. I take a multivitamin, calcium, vitamin C, creatine, a vegan fish oil, magnesium, and I just grabbed a bottle of Vitamin D. The ulcers that we are sure about are only in the last two inches of my small intestines (but I think I have some somewhere else) so it shouldn't be affecting my absorption. I'll still get it checked out since everything else is out of whack too. My doctor doesn't seem to know much about exercise. I'll try to see if there's a sports doctor familiar with Crohn's. That's a good suggestion. Thanks for all the advice!

Welcome hope u find it informative. Made me laugh asking if there any althletes thow, not got energy to get up most day with Crohns. But good for you if you can x

Hey there! Welcome!

I keep looking online, and there are plenty of articles about athletes with Crohn's who go on to do amazing thing. All the articles I've found are more inspirational than how-tos. I don't need to be inspired; that doesn't do me any good if I still don't know how to get from point A to point B.
You hit the nail on the head!!!

In addition to what's already been said, I'm thinking the meds probably need a bit more time to help get your inflammation under control. I used to swim when I was in high school (on the Y's team, so not ultra competitive but not a cake walk, either!), and while the meds kept my Crohn's under control I could train normally. The past 3 or 4 months I've started back on a semi-vigorous (for me at least) cardio/resistance routine (trying to combat fatigue) and it hasn't caused me any gut troubles. But then everybody's Crohn's is different.

Do you work with a trainer, or do you figure out your training schedule yourself? I'm wondering if you could adapt your routine so you could just try and maintain where you're at now while giving the meds a bit more time to work - and then working back up to a competitive level.

Again, welcome!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
The ulcers that we are sure about are only in the last two inches of my small intestines (but I think I have some somewhere else) so it shouldn't be affecting my absorption.
This is the Terminal Ileum and this area is where you absorb B12. You have inflammation there so it would be best to have bloods done for B12, Iron Stores and Folate. Also keep in mind that even if you don't have obvious blood in your faeces you are still most likely slowly bleeding, like a dripping tap, and therefore may also have a Haemaglobin that is on the lower side of normal or under.

Dusty. :)

We are in a similar situation. I too have ulcers along with gastritis currently. I took pentasa but now take delantix for the ulcers. My diet has been wrecked and I bought some rice protein (been away from whey protein since I found out about the ulcers). This protein is very easy on the stomach, while giving you good, clean energy, it really promotes well being. The type I use: Jay Robb Brown Rice Protein. Vitamin Shoppe sells cheaper versions.
I would not say I'm an athlete but I love running! Your supplements look good, I'm surprised you don't take B12 or a B complex? It would also be good since athletes usually have depleted iron stores; since many crohns patients also have anemia it's probably a good idea.
I take Ubiquinol (the bio-available) form of CoQ10), it's expensive but gives you good energy and is easily digestible. It's responsible for over 95% of the body's energy (ATP) production. It's no caffeine but it makes a potent antioxidant and after a few weeks (200-300mg a day) you will have noticeably more energy.
My ulcers have been flaring up bad and not working out is killing me. It drives me crazy if I can't hit the gym. Keep your head up, and stay eating clean food/taking the supplements; like saddle said you haven't given up that's most important.

Im a teacher/athlete lol if thats possible. Im running a half marathon in three weeks and a biathlon in 9 weeks (still dont feel comfortable with the term athlete).

To be honest with Crohns and its joyful nature there will never be an a to b guide. Its so individual to you how your training fits with your lifestyle. For example, i prefer to train 1st thing on a morning so i actually have the energy to do it. Also the exercise always seems to make me feel better.

In terms of supplements etc i have found that aloe vera and codliver oil capsules help my stomach and my joints massively. Again this is very individual though.

My main piece of advice would to be flexible. So if you wake up tired or ill, dont do the training the, wait see if you get any better and fit it in when you can.

I hope this helps.