• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

Hey Admins and all the folks who are part of this community. I have recently decided it is well overdue that I join this forum.

My name is Liam and I'm 19, I'm just your average type of guy who was loving life and still tries to, when the Crohn's isn't getting me down.

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease for just under 2 years now and since that time, it has been one hell of a rollercoaster, emotionally and physically. I have discovered many things about myself during this time, and would like to think that as a result of the Crohn's, I have become a kinder, more sensitive and loving human being.

It has made me appreciate what I took for granted before. I have just got back home from hospital, having had surgery on my small bowel for Crohn's.

Liam

Being diagnosed with something like Crohns, or any of the IBD's turns your whole world upside down. In joining this forum I look forward to helping all sorts of people, especially those who may have been recently diagnosed or are of a younger age such as myself.

Liam

I'm currently on Azathioprine, Iron (ferrous fumarate), Lansoprazole.

I have been on those three since I was first diagnosed, but I have also had to take Budesonide and have had Infusions of Infliximab.

I have recently had surgery to remove the effected part of my small bowel, it was supposed to be just one operation. I had the first op and everything seemed okay, but after being disacharged and coming home, I was admitted to hospital again after just being out 2 days.

The surgeons thought it was an ileus, to start with. I couldn't keep anything down. I was just being constantly sick.

It was later found after a few days, and an X-ray and CT scan later, that I had a blockage in the bowel. So back in for surgery I went. The blocked part of the bowel was cut away and everything has been okay since (touch wood).

I have found, I can eat many foods that I previously couldn't, so I'm taking it steady and trying a little at a time.

I have found that since surgery, I'm going to the toilet a lot and my stools are either loose, very loose or it's diarrhoea. Is this normal, my GP and one of my surgeons team have told me it will take some time to settle down.

Has anyone else experienced this, or anything similar post operative?

Liam

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Liam and :welcome:

You have found a great place here for info and support and there are many members that are around your age. You have a wonderful outlook on life and that should serve you very well throughout your life. I answered your question about the diarrhoea in the food and diet forum but suffice it to say, yes this is normal. One thing you might like to question your docs about is if you should be on B12 injections.
I hope you stick around as you would be a very welcome addition to the forum.

Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Liam, welcome!! There are several on here near your age so I'm sure you will make many friends if you choose to stick around. Why weren't you kept on infliximab? It seems so many have good results with it. Good luck!!

Hi guys, thank you all for the warm welcome. I look forward to participating on what seems to be a great forum, and a great resource tool for those with or who are affected by Crohn's.

Dexky, I was taken off the Infiximab, because the Crohn's was too far gone to get a decent response. So my consultant decided to take me off it, as it's quite potent stuff. I did seem to close one of my fistulas though.

Take care guys,

Liam

Hi Liam and :welcome:

You have found a great place here for info and support and there are many members that are around your age. You have a wonderful outlook on life and that should serve you very well throughout your life. I answered your question about the diarrhoea in the food and diet forum but suffice it to say, yes this is normal. One thing you might like to question your docs about is if you should be on B12 injections.
I hope you stick around as you would be a very welcome addition to the forum.

Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Hi Dusty, yes I used to have a B-12 injection every 12 weeks, because of surgery though I've been slacking and haven't had one in a while.

I assume I will resume the normal pattern after a week or two.

Liam

Astra

Hi Liam
and welcome fellow Brit

You'll enjoy it here, loads of young uns like you!
Love your positivity, shines right thro!
glad you found us
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hey Liam,

Welcome to the forum. So you had Crohn's only in your small bowel? Im kind of curious, were you only afflicted with cramps/constipation that some of us other small-bowel affected people are, or did you have the whole gamut of symptoms (diarrhea, bleeding, fevers, etc)?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I'm currently on Azathioprine, Iron (ferrous fumarate), Lansoprazole.

I have been on those three since I was first diagnosed, but I have also had to take Budesonide and have had Infusions of Infliximab.

I have recently had surgery to remove the effected part of my small bowel, it was supposed to be just one operation. I had the first op and everything seemed okay, but after being disacharged and coming home, I was admitted to hospital again after just being out 2 days.

The surgeons thought it was an ileus, to start with. I couldn't keep anything down. I was just being constantly sick.

It was later found after a few days, and an X-ray and CT scan later, that I had a blockage in the bowel. So back in for surgery I went. The blocked part of the bowel was cut away and everything has been okay since (touch wood).

I have found, I can eat many foods that I previously couldn't, so I'm taking it steady and trying a little at a time.

I have found that since surgery, I'm going to the toilet a lot and my stools are either loose, very loose or it's diarrhoea. Is this normal, my GP and one of my surgeons team have told me it will take some time to settle down.

Has anyone else experienced this, or anything similar post operative?

Liam
Post op I had diahreah on my second surgery. Took a year be sort normal.If is still bad think Questran from the docs cold be a life saver ! Welcometo the forum!

Hi Joan, Nycguy and Jettalady, thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Jettalady, thanks for the reply, hopefully it will settle down. I suppose the bowels have been rattled around a fair old bit.

BTW Jettalady, the dog in your avatar looks lovely. Golden Retriever?

Liam

Last edited:
Hey Liam,

Welcome to the forum. So you had Crohn's only in your small bowel? Im kind of curious, were you only afflicted with cramps/constipation that some of us other small-bowel affected people are, or did you have the whole gamut of symptoms (diarrhea, bleeding, fevers, etc)?
Hey Nycguy, yes I had Crohn's in my small bowel, probably one of the worst places to have it. I was affected by pain the most. If I ate the wrong thing I could be in excruciating pain for hours, if it was really bad.

At the start I had diaorrhea, but as I found foods that suited me and elimanted those that made me bad, my stools hardened and I only went to the loo once or twice at the most.

But my diet was very limited, so that's why surgery was sort of needed. I couldn't go on on this diet forever.

No fevers as such and rarely did I pass blood in my stools. One two occasions I had quite bad flare ups which did result in me pooing pretty much blood. But apart from that, it was the pain more than anything. So I was quite lucky in one sense, but when the pain was bad, it was really bad.

How is it for you?

Liam

Hey Nycguy, yes I had Crohn's in my small bowel, probably one of the worst places to have it. I was affected by pain the most. If I ate the wrong thing I could be in excruciating pain for hours, if it was really bad.

At the start I had diaorrhea, but as I found foods that suited me and elimanted those that made me bad, my stools hardened and I only went to the loo once or twice at the most.

But my diet was very limited, so that's why surgery was sort of needed. I couldn't go on on this diet forever.

No fevers as such and rarely did I pass blood in my stools. One two occasions I had quite bad flare ups which did result in me pooing pretty much blood. But apart from that, it was the pain more than anything. So I was quite lucky in one sense, but when the pain was bad, it was really bad.

How is it for you?

Liam
I have ulcerations in my jejunum only, and I guess I'm a bit lucky then in terms of symptoms. I've actually never had pain, only chronic constipation and the discomfort that results from it. So, as long as I have the constipation under control, I can pretty much eat whatever I want. Never had blood either. When I get backed up, I end up vomiting if I eat spicy/greasy foods, but that hasn't happened in a while.

Hey, Nycguy, yes I used to vomit up foods that really didn't agree with me. Sausages were one of the worst...lots of pain and then they eventually came up.

Yup...avoid those spicy and greasy foods. If I have a curry it's always mild and if I have sausage, bacon etc..I always grill them. Better for the bowel.

Symptoms wise..we are luckier than some. I found that getting a diet of foods that suited me, into a routine really helped with my pain and digestion.

Liam

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
BTW Jettalady, the dog in your avatar looks lovely. Golden Retriever?
Pretty close! He is a Golden/sheltie mix, the height and some markings and the mane but the colour, well...you know Golden. He was supposed to be a pure bread Sheltie and he was the first to come out...needless to say there was an unneutered male Golden in the neighbourhood! LOL, born on New Years day...he looks like a perma pup lol.

Glad you found your way around here!

Hello!

I had my OP about 8 weeks ago and had all the same probs as you. Don't worry tho, it will get better. I find if I eat lower fat foods then it slows the poo issue down, but mine has improved no end with time and recovery, just don't let it get to you.

Hello!

I had my OP about 8 weeks ago and had all the same probs as you. Don't worry tho, it will get better. I find if I eat lower fat foods then it slows the poo issue down, but mine has improved no end with time and recovery, just don't let it get to you.
Hi riacake, I'm glad everything has turned out okay for you and is getting progressively better. And thank you for the reasurrance and response.

It does seem to vary on what I eat....potato bake and baked beans seem to bring on normal-ish stools and loo habits.

Plenty of them then I suppose...lol.

Liam

Pretty close! He is a Golden/sheltie mix, the height and some markings and the mane but the colour, well...you know Golden. He was supposed to be a pure bread Sheltie and he was the first to come out...needless to say there was an unneutered male Golden in the neighbourhood! LOL, born on New Years day...he looks like a perma pup lol.

Glad you found your way around here!
Glad to be here, I thought about joining for years and then finally after my op I decided to....well overdue I think.

He looks ace, he reminds me of my old golden retriever, Spike. The best companions, ain't they? I know my two have helped me out when I've been a bit down...as silly as that may sound. Just seeing them come around my feet and wag thei tails cheers me up.

Liam

hi liam, welcome to the board, im lucy, im 28 and i have been diagnosed with crohns since i was 9. i am also on azathroprine. 50mg a day. you have great support from all of us here. i hope you are taking it easy after your surgery!. i have had 7 blockages in my bowel was i was 12, it hurt like hell i am lucky to be alive. :( as they thought mine was gastroentritus, not my crohns being active!.
make sure you take it easy!

hi liam, welcome to the board, im lucy, im 28 and i have been diagnosed with crohns since i was 9. i am also on azathroprine. 50mg a day. you have great support from all of us here. i hope you are taking it easy after your surgery!. i have had 7 blockages in my bowel was i was 12, it hurt like hell i am lucky to be alive. :( as they thought mine was gastroentritus, not my crohns being active!.
make sure you take it easy!
Hi Lucy, wow you've been through a bit then. 7 blockages! Is there any reason in particular that the bowel blocked 7 times, was it the same part of the bowel?

I'll be sure to take it easy.....nice to meet and you and all the best.

Liam

hi liam. it was all in the same part of the bowel, just blocked in 7 different places. i have no idea why, just one of those things i guess! how are you feeling? i hope you are on the mend :)

lucy

Oh, okay.

Yes, I'm feeling much better now thanks. Trying out new foods that I couldn't eat previously and am feeling much better in myself.

That Morphine is wicked stuff...good for killing the pain but it made me feel awful.

Liam

Oh, okay.

Yes, I'm feeling much better now thanks. Trying out new foods that I couldn't eat previously and am feeling much better in myself.

That Morphine is wicked stuff...good for killing the pain but it made me feel awful.

Liam
morphine is fab lol. brings me out in sores tho in my mouth usually :( but makes you feel away with the fairies lol :)

liam we talked earlier. I guess before I read your story. Sorry about that. Looks like we have 2 Lucy's on the forum now. You are so young to have to go thru all this. I'm glad to have met you, and I hope things continue to get better. Welcome to the forum. Lucy/Texas

morphine is fab lol. brings me out in sores tho in my mouth usually :( but makes you feel away with the fairies lol :)
Made me scratch like crazy lol.

Good for killing the pain, but the side effects are pretty bad, only temporary but they do make me feel bad.

I stopped taking my morphine after about 12 hours lol....I couldn't take the sweating and feeling ill anymore. And as soon as I came off it I started to feel a bit better.

Away with the fairies is an acurate way to describe it, Lucycharley.

Liam

liam we talked earlier. I guess before I read your story. Sorry about that. Looks like we have 2 Lucy's on the forum now. You are so young to have to go thru all this. I'm glad to have met you, and I hope things continue to get better. Welcome to the forum. Lucy/Texas
Hey Lucy, thank you for your regards. I'm glad to have met you too.

Yes..I'm quite young..but there's also kids and toddlers who have Crohn's as well. As their childhood will be no doubt effected by the Crohns. Which is such a terrible shame. I feel so sorry for them.

I managed to make it through school okay, as I had hardly any symptoms...then I had a few subtle ones in the last year of school.

All the best in the future Lucy and I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Liam

Hey bud,

I'm also 19, I got diagnosed a bit earlier in life at just 12!

Add me on facebook, I don't tend to come on here that much due to time!

When I'm home I'll have a read through properly!

Cheers

Hey Bobby, good to speak to you.

12 years old, I bet that was tough. Did it affect your school terms much? I know a lad who went to the same school as me but was a few years younger, and he had to take a lot of time off school due to his Crohn's acting up.

I don't have a facebook pal, sorry. But I look forward to chatting with you on here, as and when you are free.

All the best to you, Bobby.

Liam

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Glad to be here, I thought about joining for years and then finally after my op I decided to....well overdue I think.

He looks ace, he reminds me of my old golden retriever, Spike. The best companions, ain't they? I know my two have helped me out when I've been a bit down...as silly as that may sound. Just seeing them come around my feet and wag thei tails cheers me up.

Liam
It has been proven that people with animals usually live a longer happier life, and those who are married to a supportive spouse as to being single.

I dont think I would ever be without animals, when you have a bad day, they are always there for you!!! Being alone doesn't help the endorphins. Just my opinion. They never judge you either lol :smile:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
It has been proven that people with animals usually live a longer happier life, and those who are married to a supportive spouse as to being single.
What if you're married to a vet and have 4,376 animals? I'm pretty sure they ain't gonna make me live longer!!!:). One old dog would be nice though:).

I dont think I would ever be without animals, when you have a bad day, they are always there for you!!! Being alone doesn't help the endorphins. Just my opinion. They never judge you either lol :smile:
I totally agree, Jettalady.

It's nice to be greeted by a wagging tail, whatever the mood. I do believe you are right about the endorphins, I mostly always prefer company as opposed to being alone and it's always nice when the dogs come and sit around your feet.

Liam

What if you're married to a vet and have 4,376 animals? I'm pretty sure they ain't gonna make me live longer!!!:). One old dog would be nice though:).
Not sure about several thousand dogs, Dexky. lol

A few dogs are alway nice though, if we had more land and lived in a more rural place I would probably have a few more dogs.

Liam

Hey Bobby, good to speak to you.

12 years old, I bet that was tough. Did it affect your school terms much? I know a lad who went to the same school as me but was a few years younger, and he had to take a lot of time off school due to his Crohn's acting up.

I don't have a facebook pal, sorry. But I look forward to chatting with you on here, as and when you are free.

All the best to you, Bobby.

Liam
Not to worry!

It did, but I was always scared of taking days off and didn't like it as I always thought Crohn's was nothing, and that I was a drama queen. I think I took about 2 weeks off including time off for my surgery.

Oh okay cool..

Yeah, I must admit when I was first diagnosed I played down my Crohns and was down right in denial about it to begin with. But denial isn't the way.

It feels much better to be honest with yourself and accept it for what it is.

Liam