• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

It started in about 04 and confirmed in 06 that i have had crohns for awhile.I was in denial for a few years and just went back to the doctors with a flare up.Just wondering what people are doing with there diets,exercising and there energy levels.My energy has been down for awhile and i am going for blood work to see if and what i maybe lacking.I am glad to have found this forum thanks!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi GMDURAMAX and :welcome:

Good to see you here. No doubt there will be others along that will great advice for you regarding diet and exercise 'cause I'm not to cluey on those things. ;)

Where is your Crohns located?

When you are flaring you will have issues with malabsorption due to the inflammation also scarring from previous flares causes absorption issues as well. If your crohns is located in the ileum then most people have problems with B12, Folate and Iron. Deficiencies in these can induce anaemia and therefore you will experience increased fatigue. When you go to have your blood tests done ensure they test for B12, Folate and Iron stores. The Iron Stores are particularly important because you can have normal serum levels but your stores can still be depleted.

This is a great place for support and info and I hope you stick. Welcome aboard!

Dusty. :)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome GM, (govt. motors), you're either a man or a farmer's wife:). I hope you've found the sections of the forum on Diet and Treatment by now. There is a load of info there for you. If you are looking for something specific, there is a search function at the top of the page as well. Glad to have you aboard!!!

PS: If you work for GM, my apologies!!!

Hey Welcome.
I suffer with energy levels on and off, and have done for past 11 years. I now have B12 shots and also take iron tablets, which seems to help but I still suffer. I sometimes find that gentle exercise really helps this, I know sometime it is the last thing you want to do, but if you can manage a half hour stroll it may help. Def get on to your docs to check levels

Jo x

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Gm to the forum. Lack of energy is very common with IBD. Especially when you are flaring as we tend to not absorb all the nutrients we should. As mentioned, B12 is a big one, I get shots once a month, lack of potassium and iron can do that. Iron pills can constipate so make sure you are tested for that, eating iron rich foods are safer in my opinion. Magnesium Citrate can help too. I am assuming you are from the US?

Glad you are here, welcome aboard, let us know what you find out~ ;)

Thanks for all the help my crohns is in the whole colon.I feel lucky not to have any major problems yet but doc says it looks worse this time around.I feel fine but energy is just low have good days where i think nothing is wrong with me and then think i don't have it anymore.I feel blessed to have more good days then bad i guess i will start believing i have crohns.Have a good day!

Hey GMDURAMAX,

Everyone has given good advice about nutrition and right now I think light exercise is the way to go because you want to hold on to as much nutrition as possible if you're flaring. Plus exercising is not an easy feat when your levels are low anyhow. A nice, short walk should be sufficient for now until you're getting better. Nothing too strenuous!

As far as diet it depends on what you believe with the disease and your lifestyle. There are a few different kinds of diets out there and it's interesting to see the differences and similarities. If I were you, I would figure out what foods you can't tolerate first and then find out which diet coincides with that so you can get the maximum benefit. As a rule of thumb, grains and dairy are common irritations. So are fibrous vegetables and acidic fruits. This doesn't mean you can't eat them, it's just something to be aware of when you try to eat them. Also be sure to keep a food diary so that you know what you ate and if something bothered you, you can remember what it was and eliminate it :)

It does'nt seem to be any specific food it just seems to happen but i wouldn't know that cause i don't keep the diary.I was in denial for 4 years i started running last year for about nine months 2 to 3 miles every other day felt great then it just seemed i lost all energy.I am on 2000mg of pentasa twice a day and before this i didn't take it unless i notice some stomach pain which wasn't very often.But i will keep the diary now for sure thanks for the advice.

Astra

Hi GM
and welcome

ooops! I did this too, I was in that big River D-Nile, didn't take my Pentasa properly, only when it suited me, when I could be arsed basically!
Ended up in hospital half dead and blocked!
Now I've got OCD! lol
glad you found us GM, start your Pentasa properly, and keep it regimented, you will soon see some difference.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

welcome GMDURAMAX.. energy levels and jogging

It does'nt seem to be any specific food it just seems to happen but i wouldn't know that cause i don't keep the diary.I was in denial for 4 years i started running last year for about nine months 2 to 3 miles every other day felt great then it just seemed i lost all energy.I am on 2000mg of pentasa twice a day and before this i didn't take it unless i notice some stomach pain which wasn't very often.But i will keep the diary now for sure thanks for the advice.
Hi Gmduramax,

I'm a newbie.. However, I'm sure now I've had symptoms for quite a while! The energy levels are a battle w me too! Lately my levels have been low, but just had surgery. Since I was cut open down below I have to take it easy. But I love to jog! Its a favorite pasttime of mine. Had a Ballys membership for years. Would go through periods of time where if I ran less than 5 miles I felt like I was slacking. Now I feel like I'm swollen, and just can't get motivated. I want u to know that you def are not alone! I fully understand the joy of jogging/running, and the sudden tiredness. :) I wish u the best of luck! I don't really do the food diaries yet. But I think I need to! I am in a half-denial myself. My stomach is swollen & has been, I'm scared I may have the partial blockage thing going on.. But I'm scared to face it. But like u I have been sort of eating whatever I wanted this past week. Followed a strict diet for a short period of time after surgery on 24th o last month. But went crazy on eating whatever now. Had mad crazy indigestion last night, and even had to give in and take a omeprazole 40mg.Anywho.. Hope u r doing well! And would love to know how things work out for u!
Best wishes!!
And sorry for the long post!:)