• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira shots very scared plz repley

It was this june that i found out i had crohns disease but i had many signs since last year. It started with ankle and foot problems then low iron and then i started throwing up and not being able to go to the bathroom. So want to ER and the found out that i had a blockage and they put a ng tube down my nose. After the tube was taken out they did a colonoscapy on me and the found out I had crohn disease. Im only 16 years old. So they put me on pentsa and 6mp 50 but then up it to 75 which i could not deal with because i was sick all day everyday from the pill so he put me back to 50 and i got another blockage. I just got out of the hospital a couple days ago and im predonsine but i have to get a tv test done on monday and after that he said he will start me on humira. I have been reading things on the websites and see all this stuff about death from infections and cancer from these shots. I am very scared that im going to get cancer or infection from them and die. Is anyone else on these shots?????

Hey George - welcome! Sorry to hear about your struggles.... if you do a search for Humira on this forum you'll find a lot of great info - there's a thread called "Humira Club" or something like that that should help you!

ok thank you its says that your on 6mp 75mg/day. Does it make you sick all day? because i was on it and i had to go down to 50 because 75 was to much for me.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi George -
A lot of people on the forum have either been on Humira or are on Humira right now. I was on it and it worked reeeeally really well for 4 months, but then it quit working. I have been on Remicade for almost 2 years now (similar to Humira) and I am in a great remission!
I know it seems scary at first, but I haven't felt this good in a long time.
Read the Humira thread and maybe it will calm your fears a bit. Yeah, the shot is gonna sting, but it is not for very long and it is soooooo worth feeling better!
I had my husband give me the shot because I was chicken to do it. Maybe your parents can give you yours instead of you doing it yourself.
Good luck, and I hope you start feeling better.
Welcome to the foruum!
MBH

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi George and :welcome:

I'm sorry you had to find yourself here but since you did it's a great place for support and info and heaps of young one's on here too! Here is the link to the Humira Club if you haven't already found it..............

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6500

I hope you stick around and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Heya, George, I am on Humira, too. I've been on it for about 8 months. I was really scared to start it, too; It took about a year after my doc suggested it before I finally broke down and tried it because nothing else was working (6MP and Imuran made me sick, too). So far, things have been OK on the Humira - I was worried I might get sick more often or get all kinds of infections, but I've been surprised that I haven't noticed any trouble. MBH has a good suggestion with the injections, in that it might be easier for you to have someone else do it. I do the injections on my own, every two weeks, and even after all these months it still takes a lot to psyche myself up to do it. The only negative effect I have experienced so far is a reaction at the injection site... I take one dose of pred on injection day, and that seems to make it less itchy.

There's lots of scary info about the adverse effects of Humira - it freaks me out, too. Lots of other drugs have potential for these kinds of side effects - I guess you need to weigh the risks with the benefits. Long term use of prednisone can be really damaging... and most of us need some maintenance med to keep us in check, or else there's all kinds of complications that can come from leaving Crohn's untreated. Be sure that your doctor checks your blood regularly. Best of luck to you, I really hope it works for you. There are several of us on Humira, if you do go ahead with treatment and have more questions, we'll be here to help you out.

I've been on Humira twice in my life, this current stint has been for about 13 months now. I inject weekly. I too have only ever had injection site reactions... although I think my first time on it, I got a fungal infection a bit more easily than a normal person would've. It was pretty difficult to get rid of too... but I'm still here :)

I also suggest reading through the Humira Club thread.

I don't know much about Humira, but the chance of getting Cancer from it, is pretty low.
Any immune suppressant will slightly increase the risk of more infections, not just Humira.

I am curious about the ankle and foot problem. These are not typical Crohn's symptoms. Can you elaborate on this?

Dan

Hi George, I'm on Humira for a year now and it has helped. I still have some bad days, but the pain is a lot less. I had a pretty bad sinus infection once and a nasty cold once but that's it. I work at a children's hospital where there are germs everywhere. I wash my hands a lot. Try to avoid people who are sick. Other than that really no problems with the Humira. I don't think it works as well as it did, but I inject weekly and will keep doing so for now. Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.

ok thank you its says that your on 6mp 75mg/day. Does it make you sick all day? because i was on it and i had to go down to 50 because 75 was to much for me.
6mp has never made me nauseated or anything - I was on it for over ten years in my late teens/early twenties and the only trouble I had with it was fatigue. I actually just had to go down to 50mg because the 6mp in combination with the blood thinner I take is screwing up my liver levels - argh. So I might be in for a med change in the near future!

Anyway, glad so many people posed about Humira - and I hope you get some relief soon!!!

Hi George. So sorry to hear about what you are going through and I wish you all the best. I am on 6MP and haven't felt sick from it. I give myself a shot of Enbrel about once a week or so. It is scary having to give yourself a shot, but if it helps get you better then it is worth it. Try to stay positive even though its tough. I wish you the best of luck. I haven't been on this forum very long but everyone here is very supportive and can really help you out with answering your questions and lifting your spirits.

Hey George, welcome to the forum :)
I'm absolutely terrified of needles and yesterday I had to give myself my first Methotrexate needle. I was scared but I know that my doctor wouldn't be putting me on it if he didn't think it was going to help. And you know what? The shot itself wasn't bad at all. It takes only a few minutes and it's only once every week and if it works, the discomfort of those few minutes will be more than worth it. Best of luck with finding something that works for you and keeps your symptoms under control :)

Hi George,
I know this is a tough spot to be in. I have been on Humira since May at first every other week and now weekly for the last month. A few suggestions to help with the discomfort and itching at the site after the injection. I started icing the site five minutes before the injection and immediately after for five minutes and it made a big difference with the discomfort and itching. Also talk with your doctor about having the injection done in the office for the first few times and have a family member with you so they can learn as well. Even though I am a nurse my 18 year old son helped me a lot. Remember this is a wonderful support place and you are not alone. Thinking about you and hoping for positive results soon;) Julie

Thank you everyone for all the replies to my post!!!! :) You have made me feel better and less worried!!! I'm very glad I join this form it really helps talking to other people with crohn's. I am most likey going to be getting humira shots but I have to get a tv test done first and me and my mom are going to talk to the doctor as well because my mom is worried about the shot as well. But Again Thank You So Much For Your Advice. :)

Astra

Hi George
and welcome

Glad the peeps on here have reassured you somewhat!
I've never tried the biologics yet, but hope to in the future.
good luck with everything George and hope you stick with us for lots of support.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

ameslouise

Hi George - I am also on Humira for a few months now. No problems at all for me so far, and usually I get every side effect under the sun!

I am also curious about the foot and ankle pain. Can you tell us more about that, and how you know it is a Crohn's symptom?

Hope you get to feeling better soon. - Amy

Hey George

I'm not on Humira, but I wanted to say it's always scary trying a new drug and all drugs have side effects that are nasty!

Your a brave young fella, and it's good to get well informed about all possible risks/symptoms etc with all diseases and medications.

The more informed you are, the less scary things seem.

Good luck sweetie!

Oh my gosh, at 16. That must be very tough on you. I don't know how I would handle it, let alone deal with pains I have. Don't want to hijack your thread, I hope everything goes well for you my friend.

Have a good night and stay safe.