• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Acupuncture and crohns

Hello everyone

I am new to the site and hope this is where we start topics at, I found out I had crohns Dec, 26, 2008 while on holiday's with my family.....merry christmas too me. I was rushed to the hospital and they removed my Appendix, the next morning the doc said, well that was worthless operation, it is your intestine's what are swollen.

After finally getting home, 4 days later my wife took me into emergency, since all I could do was moan, that night my wife's boss, a well known surgeon looked at me and put my right on the operating table.....well after the operation he had to tell the wife about my condition, and state, he just held my wife for comfort, since they all thought I would make it through the night. 52 days later they released me from the hospital, and spent another 2 months with house care from nurses.

I had a scope done 4 months ago, along with a CT scan and an ultra sound, and all crohns were cut out of me, and still has not come back,yayayya. I still need a surgery to fix my stomach muscle's. Well enough about the problem's, I know everyone here is hearting in some way or another.

My question is has anybody had acupunture done to help with the crohns, I have been reading up on it, it seems like it might be worth trying out. The only medication I take is (cholestyramine) I take 2 4g poaches aday so I am not running to bathroom every 5 minutes. I sure would love some info if anybody has tried acupuncture, because I might go and start trying it. It say's it also helps with back pain and sleeping at night.

Thanks Dave

Astra

Hi Dave
and welcome

I've tried acupuncture and I really like it, but not for my Crohns, I have it for neck and shoulder pain. I also see an osteopath sometimes, this is cos I have Occipital Neuralgia. I don't know whether any of this is Crohns related but these treatments do work. I also take 25mg of Amitriptyline, in low doses this med works by blocking nerve pain and aids sleep, it's a fab drug!
glad you're surgery went well and you're here to tell the tale!
lots of friends here for you and support too
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi deeds and :welcome:

So good to hear that you are in remission, YAY! My daughter also suffers with short bowel syndrome. I don't know anyone who has had acupuncture for Crohns. What are you looking for the acupuncture to do? I would be interested to hear how it goes if you go down that path.

This is a fab place for support and info so I hope you stick 'cause it would be great to have you here. Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

:sign0144:

Hopefully this is how I reply!!!

Dusty I am not to sure, I had met a lady the other day and we started chatting and she was telling that Acupuncture can help with crohns, in what way I am not sure!!!!I have been looking when I can on the net, but very little info, (OF COURSE) or should I say proof of it helping.

Joan, that is one of the reason's why I think I am going to see an Acupuncture for back pain, and also for the lack of sleep....but I am sure going to investigate to go for my crohns.

Since i am stubburn and refuse to take any meds to prolong the desease to attack again, I am trying to find other solutions what are better for my body. I will send all the info of what I find out to you all....tell then I wish everybody a great day.

Dave

All over the net, there is stories of how Acupunture has cured and helped people with crohns, I am going take the plung and make an oppointment. I do not have any active crohns as of right now, but this might help keep it away, with out any meds.:ysmile:

Acupuncture
Acupuncture has long been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to treat inflammatory bowel disease. One study in Germany found that acupuncture and moxibustion were effective specifically for treating Crohn's disease. Acupuncturists treat people with inflammatory bowel disease based on an individualized assessment of the excesses and deficiencies of qi located in various meridians. Moxibustion (a technique in which the herb mugwort is burned over specific acupuncture points) is used because it is thought to reach deeper into the body than using needles alone.

From what little I know about acupuncture, and it is not much, is that it is a temporary pain relieving method. I only know one doctor that uses it, but this is how he describes it. He uses it to temporarily relieve chronic back pain and similar problems.

I do not know how it could possibly cure a disease, and I am skeptical of that claim, but like I said, I do not know all there is to know about it.

I would like to hear your experience with it, and welcome to the forum.

Dan

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I have tried Acupuncture, specifically for Crohns it may have helped a bit but not a notable improvement. Have had massage therapy, Reik, and another manipulative therapy... Not much I haven't tried and nothing for me helps. But like I always say, everyone is different and if you can control it from coming back and you are covered by insurance why not? Can't hurt :thumright:

:bigwave: from another Canadian crohnie.

Last edited:
I will call my buddy who practices acupuncture Deeds and ask her how it helps crohns.

I would think (this is my opinion) maybe it helps with inflammation or even maybe stimulates the immune system.. maybe?

I'll get back to you on that one.

Maybe I can get her to do a 'note' on the subject and post it on here ;)

I tried acupuncture soon after I was diagnosed last year.
Personally, I don't feel it worked as my crohn's was too widespread.
I really wanted it to work, and did find it relaxing but ultimately it was expensive and didn't seem to be producing results.
However, everyone is different, so it may work for you!

Lucinda

Hey deeds

I finally got hold of Tanya, and it was VERY confusing, so I made her send it to me via email. I've copied it, so I'll just paste the information she provided me with :)

So, how to use acupuncture to help treat Crohn's. Well, for starters it of course has to be in conjunction with diet and your own inner work - you know - meditating to sort through any emotional issues that are contributing to/aggravating the condition. In Chinese Medicine, Crohn's disease can often be seen in terms of what one text (Maclean & Lyttleton) calls the 'Pathological Triad'. This means that the person will suffer from Spleen Qi deficiency, which can be due to things like poor diet, drawn out emotional issues etc which results in poor digestion and things such as bloating, nausea, loose stool and fatigue. They will also have Liver Qi stagnation due to frustration and stress over a long period, and this may also have been the cause of the weakened Spleen Qi in the first place, as the Liver tends to attack the Spleen when we are stressed (hence why we might get nausea, bloating, diarrhea when stressed). Liver Qi stagnation causes things like moodiness, anger, depression, tight shoulders, pain in the intercostals. The both of these combined lead to Damp-Heat or stagnant heat in the Intestines causing the good ol' burning diarrhoea (you need to have a bit of knowledge of TCM to understand how - basically, if the Spleen is deficient it leads to damp because the Spleen is in charge of transforming and transporting all the foods and fluids in the body (it transforms food and fluid into Qi and Blood and then transports it around, so if this isn't happening properly it all just accumulates). Damp is heavy so it causes things like a heavy distended feeling in the chest, diarrhea if it descends that far, heavy limbs, foggy head etc. The Liver is in charge of the free flow of Qi in the body, and when it becomes aggravated Qi flow tends to stagnate or get stuck. This eventually leads to heat. Damp on its own also causes Qi to stagnate as it blocks free flow, and this can also lead to heat. This Damp and Heat combine in the Intestines to create the delightful condition of hot, urgent diarrhoea.)

If this has been going on for ages, it can also lead to Blood stagnation (which would result in a really stabbing fixed pain - think nasty nasty period pain), mental health issues as the Shen becomes disturbed (insomnia, anxiety...), and plenty of other disharmonies.

Anyway, to treat the condition successfully you therefore have to first resolve the Damp and Heat which can be a slow process. Acupuncture can help but herbs will be the real movers and shakers for this as it is so internal. We also have to soothe the Liver and move the Qi as well as tonify the Spleen. Whichever of the three pathologies is presenting the most is the one that should be focused on, but you should also treat the other two as secondary issues. As you know, what signs and symptoms are happening changes a lot so, so too would the treatment you get. You would also have to treat any other disharmonies that may have arisen due to the chronic nature of the condition.

As you can see, it's a long process and really requires the client to work with the practitioner so that any good that the herbs or needles are doing aren't being overridden. I can't tell you any more specifically than that because TCM is individualised to each client

I really hope that helps you and helps you understand more.
Good Luck with everything :)

Some of it makes sense to me, and a lot of it does not. It is a whole different paradigm than what I am used to.

But, on the other hand, I am sure it sounds pretty "out there" that I kill pathogens using frequencies also. Even with that, I am still using a Western model of pathogen = disease.

Emotions do play a role in this disease, I have no doubt about that. It will be interesting to see what can be done with acupuncture. Keep us posted.

Good Luck

Dan

WHOA D Bergy!

How do you use frequencies to kill pathogens?

I use a tapping method on my chest bone to stop common colds and flus. It's amazing, I used to get the common cold and flu often (at least 3 weeks out of 4) since using the tapping method, it's only probably maybe 3 days out of the month.

It may just be mind over matter, but all the same it works (for me)
Tan got me onto that one also.

Treehugger, WOW is that some info, only if I understood it all...:ywow:

I now have some reading to do before I call and make myself an oppointment, sure would hate to go there and just be another number for them to make money.

Will be in touch, now heading to net to look up some of the words, and study more....Keep up the good work on this site LOVE IT.:mario2:

Cheers Dave

I hear you deeds re: another number to make money!! It's always a concern!

Shame you don't live on the Gold Coast in Queensland lol
Tanya I can say in all honesty isn't about money and is completely devoted to helping to heal people!

Her and I have been best friends since we were 12 and she's seen all the struggles my brother and I had in regards to health and emotional problems and it helped bring on her love of medicine (western and eastern, as she's also a registered nurse (that was years ago) and is now a highschool teacher, but moving out of that profession to the healing/herbs)

She's my widdle angel!

Good luck looking all those words up! I think it's mainly the channels for energy in our bodies? (I finks!!!) you probably know more now then me!

Tan always raves on with those words and I just nod and smile LOL

Take care and good luck with your treatment, and IF it's a success, let us all know xoxoxo

I have tried acupuncture, not for my Crohn's though, it was because I was having trouble sleeping. It didn't work for me and I didn't notice any improvement, but that's not to say that acupuncture doesn't work, period.

I know many people who swear by alternative therapies, as opposed to or as well as pharma.

Some things work for some and not for others, but it's certainly worth trying other therapies if possible to try and help manage IBD and other illness or ailments.

Liam