• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New at this.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in March 2010. Yet, having problems a year before that. I got pregnant July 2009 (or found out), and now the doctors think I was having a flare-up during the pregnancy.

I am 5'3", and only gained 10 lbs. with the pregnancy. I had a lot of vomiting. I also ended up having my baby 5 weeks early, and she was underweight. Now doing a lot of research, I am learning, that babies are underweight when born to a Crohn's mother. The doctor thinks she would have been the same size no matter carrying until term or not. She is healthy.

Anyways, six weeks after I was "suppose" to be well from the c-section; I ended up in the ER getting ready for a CT scan. I thought I had an appendicitis. After the scan, the ER doctor came into my room, and yelled at me for not telling him I had Crohn's. I started laughing, and told him I didn't have Crohn's...all in all...I have Crohn's.

I guess the thing that makes it all funny; is BOTH my mom's parents have Crohn's. They divorced, because my grandmother couldn't stand my grandpa being sick all time, and didn't understand Crohn's. Years later, she now has Crohn's. (I guess that's what she gets for being mean ;)

I was in the hospital for four months and every medication they tried; failed. I ended up having surgery and I am now on remicade and imuran. I don't think they're doing anything, but whatever. I am almost done taking medication. The side-effects are too much, and I am sometimes wishing I'd flare-up as bad again, so they can actually SEE what is wrong! Right now, they're going off my word...which isn't helpful.

So, my grandma, grandpa, my aunt (who was diagnosed a few weeks ago, lol), and myself have Crohn's. I luckily live close to my grandpa, and we do our remicade together.

It's crappy disease (literally). I; kinda thankfully, have the constipation Crohn's, I also vomit a lot...which is a bit more helpful when trying to "show" someone you're actually sick.

I am a new wife, mother, and trying to get through Pharmacy school...all makes stress, and add a new disease to the mix...fun!

Wow you have a lot on your plate! I am glad to hear your baby girl is healthy. I was diagnosed this year as well and like you said, adding a disease to the mix is the cherry topping stresser. I hope you stay healthy and peaceful with all these new challenges. :)

Thanks! Being on this forum has helped. I know I have family members with Crohn's, but everyone is different, and it's nice to get other advice.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Ashley, :welcome: :bigwave:!! My my, we have similar problems in the past. I have Crohns and a sister (when I wasn't even diagnosed yet and in the hospital on an IV, she thought I was "faking" for attention... Lo and behold she now has Crohns colitis the worst they'd ever seen!!!! And she bleeds to boot). So I can see karma happening. My older brother has UC and my uncle died at 49 yrs of age with Colon cancer, and my younger brother has something but wont get tested, and my other uncle IBS, grandmother who has gastritis, and my 75yr old mother....nothing. My younger sister, thyroid and gerd, and I have had 2 resections.

I became allergic very bad on Remicade and Imuran. I know about the drugs not working. In the midst of getting a new referral for a new Gi.

It is hard on us when we stress, and it is very hard to control. I had a rough time with my daughter 22 years ago and she is fine, me...well hanging in there. Glad you found us, hope we can help you too!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Ashley and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. So sorry to hear you are having rough time. Wow what a family history! but as you can see you will find many kindred spirits here. Do you know what the next move is if those meds aren't working for you??

I hope you stick around 'cause this is a fab place with loads of support and info and we would love to have you here. Welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

What were your symptoms for being allergic on remicade? The last time I got it; I was really itchy...and some joint pain; I think. Nothing seems to work; surgery...meds...nothing. Or so it seems.

Dusty; thank you. It's nice to talk to other people that know what I am talking about. My husband tries, but he thinks every time I feel ill; I should go into the ER. Which, I have to the most part; and has had to stay there for weeks at a time, but I don't think I should be running there for every symptom.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
What were your symptoms for being allergic on remicade? The last time I got it; I was really itchy...and some joint pain; I think. Nothing seems to work; surgery...meds...nothing. Or so it seems.
Severe acute pain in the lymph nodes and my arms, couldnt move them. 2 Percocets, every 4 hours for 4 days barely touched it. Then went into my left foot had to get crutches, couldnt walk on it and purple and swollen for a few days. Stressed out back then too a bit. So no more Remicade for me! Imuran and 6mp went straight to the liver... niice.

Pen: My pain hasn't been that bad. I hope it was just a one-time deal. I guess without lab work; I am not sure what Imuran has done to me. I hope nothing, but I can't see any difference with it.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, and welcome to the forum! What a year you've had - woah. We're glad to have you on the forum and I hope that you start finding treatment(s) that work well for you.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Ashley, welcome!! Good to hear that your baby girl is healthy!!! I hope your physical problems aren't interfering too much with your ability to enjoy her!! Good luck finding something that works for you!! Hope you stick around!!

Hi Ashley, welcome!! Good to hear that your baby girl is healthy!!! I hope your physical problems aren't interfering too much with your ability to enjoy her!! Good luck finding something that works for you!! Hope you stick around!!
Thank you! I am trying to enjoy every moment I can! She's getting really big, and holding her has become a problem, but I do what I can.

Astra

Hi Ashley
and welcome

I've had symptoms for over 20 years, or more. (long story) and I only got a dx in 2005 of Crohns. I had 2 pregnancies, my daughter is nearly 19 and weighed nearly 9lb and my son is 16 and weighed nearly 8lb. Not all babies are born underweight to a Crohns mother!
So glad your baby girl is ok tho and healthy. You have got a lot of stress at the mo, really hope the remicade works for you now.
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Astra: I was having a flare-up during my pregnancy, and not ALL babies are born underweight, but it is a common trait among women with the disease. I am glad you and your children are okay. I am not sure if the remicade is working. They had me get three infusions; and when that didn't work...I ended up in surgery. I am still trying the medication, but again; not sure if it's actually doing anything.