• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alcohol and methotrexate

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what people have experienced and been told by their doctors about methotrexate (mtx) and alcohol.

I'm currently on 20mg mtx subcutaneously/week, and have only recently been able to get my social life back on track, the question is how much alcohol should we be able to tolerate whilst in methotrexate? I'm lucky that my Liver Function Tests (LFTs) have always been great with just the medications.

My GP said I should tolerate 1 or 2, but no more than 3 standard drinks. Thinking back to a few weeks ago I've probably had 4 without any noticeable problems, but we'll be checking the next LFTs to make sure that's still good, which would be the first place to show any issues I'm told.

Of course as with unimpeded alcohol tolerance results will vary, I'm just interested to see what others have found

Stefan

Both my GI and GP have warned me to limit alcohol intake as much as possible. Since I haven't drank alcohol in nearly 3 years, I didn't think to ask for a more specific amount.

Hi I am on methotrexate 8 tablets a week, and have been told that 2 units a week is all I can have,although sometimes I have gone over, like you know those social times we have,but not so long ago I had my rhumatologist nurse call me to say my liver count on my blood test was raised, and if it showed at the next test they would have to intervene.so be carefull.

I was told be one of my GIs to take in zero alcohol at all. She was worried about over-working my liver with metho and alcohol. I also have had a history of liver problems when I had remicade; my liver levels were in the category of total liver failure. So for me I cannot drink while on this medication (which wasnt a problem because I dont drink), but everyone is different and I would listen to your doctor.

When I did my short stint with mtx my GI said that I should allow myself to drink every once in a while and I can have a few, but to be careful and not do any binge drinking. He told me one of his patients went to Germany or something and tried to take his methotrexate with as many fancy liquors as possible!:lol:
He said that was fine. Good luck!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I was told be one of my GIs to take in zero alcohol at all. She was worried about over-working my liver with metho and alcohol. I also have had a history of liver problems when I had remicade; my liver levels were in the category of total liver failure. So for me I cannot drink while on this medication (which wasnt a problem because I dont drink), but everyone is different and I would listen to your doctor.
I couldnt of said it any better. To me drinking whilst on Methotrexate is playing Russian roulette.. just not worth the risk. Most meds are not tolerated with alcohol and for Crohns it can wreak havoc. Be kind to your body and your body will be kind to you...crohns or not...why add more problems? Just my thoughts.:ysmile:

I agree with Pen I think it is playing Russian roulette as well. Mthx will have a long term impact on your liver in the end, why hasten the end? I do have the odd bourbon but I not drink on a regular basis anymore. It's not worth the damage. I rather let mthx work for as long as possible before I need to find another serious med to take its place cos my liver packs up. Just a thought