• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm new here, and don't have Crohns!

First off all I hope the title doesn't depress anyone in any way, and instead reinforces are positive message. Also I can't believe I didn't go and find emotional support throughout my journey, as I believe it would have helped me so much. Nevertheless here I am... and here goes...

My Crohns battle began late in 2002, when I was 11 years old. I don't remember most of the details since it was quite awhile ago, but I believe it began with me feeling abdominal cramps and suffering from constipation. It was such a shock for my family back then, as we had no history of IBD in my family, and they were of course worried of my future.

My high school life began shortly after, and what a shocker it was...Toilet related humor was at an all time high... I was like a living skeleton throughout all of it, unable to put on any weight, severe cramps all throughout the day, yet still I was able to make a number of great friends, who I was able to tell of my condition (Its tough, but so worth it). I constantly had days off school due to checkups with the doctor, which involved me traveling to the city to visit my gastroentologist with my mum/dad, who in turn had to take time off work to come with me. If there was a positive in any of this, I guess I was able to mature very quickly

Over the years the disease had been getting progressively worse with the doctors reluctant to have an operation and instead had numerous colonoscopies, and moving from one medication to another, to control the symptoms. You name it, I've had it - Salazopyrin, Prednisolone, Flagyl, and even the upper class drugs such as Infliximab and Humira each giving me relief from cramps, only for them to emerge again weeks later. Skin tags and hemorrhoids came into the equation three or so years into my disease, and it was here in my life that I was down the most. I was rarely socializing and my grades were also suffering. I didn't give a shit about anything, and I was constantly questioning life and religion in general. I'm not too sure how I got through it all, but I'm sure it was due to the undying support of my familiy who were with me till the very end.

It was shortly into early 2010 that I was on Himura when all of sudden I had an extreme flareup, and was rushed to hospital via ambulance. I was put on morphine, till I had a colonoscopy and CT scans were done to identify the problem. Turns out I had an 'obstruction' meaning inflammation was rampant in an area of my bowel, and had therefore narrowed the lining of my bowel, and food was being 'obstructed' causing the severe, severe pain. Again, doctors were still reluctant to do an operation, instead bumping up my Prednisolone levels to 50mg a day,taking me off Himura, and giving me a diet to follow. I continued this for a few months, where the doctors were advising me to try out a new trial medication. During the screening process, I had another intense flareup and this time the doctors basically said Screw the trial, you're going in for an operation.

It happened this year on June 16th, I was (and am currently) 19 years old. Luckily for me, they explained that my crohns disease was strictly in one area only and I believe was part of the small and large bowel, about 30-40cm all up. They intended to cut the lot (and they did) and told me I could be having a bag, depending on the severity of inflammation in the small bowel. The operation however went smoothly, and I woke up to intense inner pain, a scar through my belly button (I don't have one anymore :p), yet thankfully no stoma.

It has been now a good three months, and I can't tell you how much off an impact this operation has made. Months ago, I couldn't remember what it felt like to be 'healthy' and let me tell you it is the greatest thing ever! I'm just so thankful to the doctors, who have helped me over the years, just being healthy was all I ever wanted for such a long time as I have had this awful, awful disease for almost half my life.

During my time in hostipal during recovery, that I met 26 year old patient with crohns about to undertake his second operation. It was such an eye-opener for me, and we discussed for hours how the disease has affected our lives in general. After leaving the hostipal free off chrons, I just couldnt stop thinking off all the people such as yourselves who are going to through what I have been through, or even worse. It has made me want to do something such as fundraising to raise funding and awareness for this crappy disease, and has made me even want to change my career path from commerce to medicine/nursing field.

So yeah I'm glad you took the time too read this fellow Chronies, I for one advise anyone going through what I went through, to discuss a potential operation with your Gastroentologist, and also to never forget the undying love and support of you're family that will most often and not, get you through the toughest of times!

I hope to visiting these forums on a weekly basis in case I can help in any way, and also to serve as a reminder for myself, on what I have been through.

Keep fighting guys, there is always light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks again guys,

Nilan

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Nilan!! That's quite a journey!! Hope you stay in remission many, many years!! There are several members in your age bracket. Good luck and stick around!!

Dallies

Dragonfly
Hi Nilan, I am so happy that you are Crohn's free at last, as is my daughter Meg (aged 16) She had her surgery last month and it really was the only option and of course the best option for her.

It's wonderful to have you here, your support here will be priceless. Long may your remission continue. Where are you from??? You poor love, having to have coped with this from age 11, Meg found out in June it was Crohn's, suffering badly since she had her appendix out in April - Fortunately she managed to cope with her school exams and is now painfree, in remission since surgery and studying A levels. Much love xxxxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Nilan and :welcome:

Good to see you here and with a great attitude too! My daughter had a Right Hemicolectomy 4 years (age 14) and has been in remission ever since. I certainly would never wish her to go back to her pre op time but she was also undiagnosed until her op so I often wonder what her life would have been like if she had had the oppurtunity to go down the path of medication. I know everyone is different but reading your story has most likely given me some insight into that, thank you.

I hope you receive many, many years of remission from your op. Are you on any meds or supplements?

There's are loads of members here your age so you will be a very welcome addition. Lots of supportt and info as well. Good luck and welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Thanks very much for the replies. Yes, I too hope to remain in remission till the day I die! :tongue:

There are several members in your age bracket. Good luck and stick around!!
Thanks for the welcome Dexky, I look forward to meeting a great many number of people. I shall indeed be sticking around :)

Hi Nilan, I am so happy that you are Crohn's free at last, as is my daughter Meg (aged 16) She had her surgery last month and it really was the only option and of course the best option for her.
Hi, Dallies, it amazes that me that parents such as yourself, take it upon themselves to support and learn about their child's condition, going as far to join a forum dedicated to it. Meg should be in a much better position thanks to you, and I too wish her a never ending remission!

Too answer you're question - I am off Sri Lankan nationality, born in New Zealand and shortly thereafter moving to Australia where I was raised for the majority of my life.

:welcome:Welcome Nilan:bigwave:
Thanks for sharing your story. I can literally feel your excitement.:emot-dance:
I had my first resection shortly after I had my appendix removed when I was 16 (i'm now 36 can't believe I'm pushing 40!!). During the appendectomy they discovered I had CD. Probably the inflammation of the intestines that caused the inflammation of the appendix. I had a temporary ileostomy, but after reversal, I had many, many years of remission. Oh, what a feeling. To be healthy again was AWESOME. :emot-waycool:
I do hope you look into some type of maintenance drug. Crohn's is a lifelong affliction, I'm afraid. Surgery does not cure the CD, only temporarily removes the diseased portion of bowel. It's likely it will rear it's ugly head again. :(
I'm not trying to burst your beautiful bubble, only to help you remain this wonderful feeling as long as possible. :sun:

Wow these replies don't stop coming!

Hi Nilan and :welcome:
Hi Dusty, thanks for the reply. Yes I too also wonder, what life could have been if I had initially had the surgery. However they are doctors for a reason, and I also believe surgery should be the last option. I mean, say the disease comes back shortly after an operation, the loss of an organ - or part of it would be quite detrimental I believe. Great news of you're daughter as well, I too hope she continues remission forever and ever :)

I hope you receive many, many years of remission from your op. Are you on any meds or supplements?
Ah woops, I forgot to mention that in my original OP. Yes I am currently on meds - Imuran (2.5mg per kilogram in weight) and 400mg of Flagyl (for three months) I am also part off a study, to examine chrons patiest post op. It involves monthly checkups, and colonoscopies every 6, 12, or 18 months.

:welcome:Welcome Nilan:bigwave:
Thanks for sharing your story. I can literally feel your excitement.:emot-dance:
Thank you, and thanks for the reply :) Ah that's great to hear! :D

To be healthy again was AWESOME.
It sure is! I hope that you sufferers out there achieve it soon!

I do hope you look into some type of maintenance drug. Crohn's is a lifelong affliction, I'm afraid. Surgery does not cure the CD, only temporarily removes the diseased portion of bowel. It's likely it will rear it's ugly head again. :(
I'm not trying to burst your beautiful bubble, only to help you remain this wonderful feeling as long as possible. :sun:
Ah yes, as Dusty reminded me, I am on post op meds. The study was also an option, but I signed up instantly. I constantly want to know what is going on inside of me, and these colonoscopies should do the trick. It may be a slight hassle, but nothing like in the past :p

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome:Nilan, your story it not intirely different from the rest of us, I had bascially the same journey but there was no biologics then. I have to thank you for your story because I have been staying all along that if you have narrowing or strictures, no medicine can reverse it. I think we become more aware of it and really watch what we eat. I have cut out beef, too chewy. Even after having two resections I know what I can and cant eat. For the most part I follow the low residue diet.

I know about support, I didnt have it in my early stages of the disease but now I have a wonderful husband that puts up with everything I throw at him, and he is still hanging around :lol:

I hope you can continue in your education, and keep yourself busy. You can do this with your good attitude. We have thought what you were thinking from time to time but it all works out in the end. Glad you are here and hope to see you help others and join us!

Astra

Hi Nilan
and welcome

I love your positivity, it shines thro!
And for someone so young who's been thro it all, you really can make a difference with awareness and fund raising! Good luck with that!
Also good luck with your remission, hope you have a long healthy happy one!
hope it doesn't rear it's ugly head again for years to come!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hey Nilan and welcome!
It's great to see more Aussies in our age bracket joining up ^_^
I'm glad you've found something that has given you relief :D
I look forward to seeing you around.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Nilan and welcome!
Yeah I have noticed a lot of Aussies lately and lots from Texas??? So what you do you people have in common?? :ytongue:

Hi Nilan,

Welcome and glad to hear you are in remission and I hope it stays that way.
I think its a great idea to try and raise some money. Have you any ideas on who you would like to donate it to?

I have to thank you for your story because I have been staying all along that if you have narrowing or strictures, no medicine can reverse it. I think we become more aware of it and really watch what we eat. I have cut out beef, too chewy.
Yes you're exactly right. I was put on the low-residue diet shortly after my obstruction, yet it happened again not long after, which prompted the doctors to go with an operation. Also I can't really explain it, but the pain associated with an obstruction 'feels different' I would say even worse than the regular cramps. For me, it resulted in extreme bloating in the span of half a minute, resulting in excruciating pain at its peak, only for it to deflate again and then repeat. Not good :(

Hi Nilan
and welcome. I love your positivity, it shines thro!
Thanks very much, its important for us crohnies to have, isnt it?

Hey Nilan and welcome!
Thanks, yes it is indeed, I'm sure we can totally relate.
Yep, I shall indeed be prowling these forums :)

Hi Nilan!! Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your story with us :0)
Hi there! Thanks very much, it was no problem at all :)

We are all good looking :thumleft:
That we are :p

Hi Nilan,

Welcome and glad to hear you are in remission and I hope it stays that way.
I think its a great idea to try and raise some money. Have you any ideas on who you would like to donate it to?
Thanks!

Well, I believe Crohns is severely underfunded compared to other chronic conditions. More research needs to be done, and a cure must come out soon!

For you Aussies out there, I actually had Peter Gibson - (Refer to crohnsandcolitis.com.au/board.php) look after me, in the final two years of my battle, and I still meet up him every 2 months, as I am part of this study, so I intend to discuss with him potential options.

This is a story I want to read every day. Thank you Nilan for sharing it.
It was no problem at all, thanks for taking the time out to read it.

That is a great story with my kind of ending. Keep on keeping on!
Thanks, yep I wish you all be crohns free soon!

Hello Nilan and welcome to the Forum!!
With your positive outlook and family support you will go far!

I absolutely love to see an attitude like this in such a young person.

Enjoy your time here...I'm sure you will be able to help many others
and in doing so make some long lasting friendships.

May you stay in remission forever!!

Welcoming Hugs~Nancy