• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileus after small bowel resection

My husband had a small bowel resection surgery on Friday last week. Surgery went well, they removed a small portion of his terminal ileum as well as part of the colon, incision looks great, he is able to get up and around just fine. The only problem we have so far is that he has not been able to pass gas or go #2 yet. Today is only day #3 since surgery so he is probably being a little impatient, but he is VERY uncomfortable. The bowel is making a lot of noise (audible to the human ear while standing close not just with the stethoscope) and he says he can feel pressure there which makes him think relief is coming soon, but still a no go. Poor hubby is quite miserably bloated and crampy. :yfrown:

They have him on Alvimopan to aid things and he is doing all he can to stop using the PCA with the morphine. We had a little setback with the Alvimopan as somehow his nurses documented that he had refused it when he had not, so he has only had about two doses of it that I know of. I am hoping now that we caught that, things will start moving along.

Anyone here go through something similar or have any words of wisdom for us? Could anyone who has had this happen tell me how long it took their bowels to wake up after a similar surgery?

:sign0085:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Normally the bowel won't start working until about day 4 or 5 post op. Roo was day 4 when she first had her bowels open and it was late in the day. She didn't pass wind until that day either. The main thing is he has bowel sounds which is a sign that things should progress normally!

Dusty. :)

Thanks for your reply Dusty. I am happy to report that this morning things are working just fine! He was able to have a BM even! I never thought anyone could be so happy about such a normal body function! You were right on too, because today would be day 4 after surgery. Today he will start on a full liquid diet. Good news is once we get things working normally and he can eat solid foods, he is in the clear, as his incision is giving him very minimal pain! YAY!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Woohoo, great to hear!!! I hope the recovery is speedy and trouble free....................

:goodluck:

Take care, :)
Dusty

I can totally feel his relief. Been there, done that. Keep up the good healing.
My only tip, maybe try to walk as much as possible.