• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New To The Forums

Hey guys! My name is Brian and I just joined the forums a few days ago. The support that everyone provides to one another is amazing, and I am happy to be part of it.

I was diagnosed in 2005 after having severe kidney pain for several weeks. My father has had four kidney stones over the span of his life, so I thought that was what I was going through. It wasn't until I woke up at 4:00 am in excruciating pain that I decided something was very wrong and went to the hospital. I was told that my right kidney had nearly died, and that led to my diagnosis.

Life has been different since then, as I am sure you all can attest to. I am not as active as I used to be, and my personal life has taken a bit of a hit, but life is all about perspective. I was blessed with Crohn's instead of something less manageable or perhaps even fatal. Having to face my mortality has shown me a lot about myself, and I find myself growing through the trials I endure because of this experience.

I spent the first year or so on Prednisone and Pentasa, and then I was moved to Entocort and Apriso which I have been on since.

I didn't realize how nice it is to be able to communicate with people that share my position in life until I found this forum.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Hey there! Welcome to the forum! :0) Glad that you found us. It is an amazing place here. So many awesome and supportive people!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there I welcomed you on your other thread,glad you posted your story. BTW kidney stones are common, I had 4 and the lithotripsy to get rid of them was excruciating. They couldnt figure out why...helllloooooooooo I have Crohns disease and it caused that right side area to go into a full blockage and spasms...the urologist thought I had a low pain tolerance...idiot. Sorry you had to get this disease and kidney problems, which do make us aware we have to look after ourselves. :hang: glad to meet you!

Astra

Hi Brian
and welcome

And we look forward to getting to know you too!
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hey Brian:bigwave:
Personally never had kidney stones, but hear they can be extremely painful. :ywow: Glad you made it through.
I just joined this month, too. The people here are wonderfully supportive and full of useful info. Their good for a healthy laugh as well. :rof:
See you around. :hippy:

:sun:

Hello again Brian

Yep...nothin' like a brush with ones mortality to cause some attitude adjustments! Hope the meds have you on the road to remission. Good luck and feel better soon.

-Jerry

Hi Brian and welcome. Your right life is different with crohn's, but being here reminds us we are not alone. I too have had a stone and they are no fun. Lots of great people here to help you on the good and bad days. keep us posted.
:ghug::ghug::ghug::goodluck:
:welcome:

Hi Brian and Welcome to CF. Yes, when faced with one's mortality everything about one's life changes. Its up to that person to decide which road to choose to cope with CD and I feel the best way is also to think of it as a blessing. Things could be a lot worse and the disease we could have gotten could have more serious end results.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Brian and :welcome:

Good to see you here. Just out of curiosity, did you actually have a kidney stone or something else that caused the problem with your right kidney? The reason I ask is my daughter had a similar experience, excruciating pain around her right kidney and it turned out to be the inflammation from her ileum blocking her ureter and causing the kidney to swell. In Roo's case it took surgery to diagnose her. I hope the meds continue to work well for you for many years to come. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Hi Brian and :welcome:

Good to see you here. Just out of curiosity, did you actually have a kidney stone or something else that caused the problem with your right kidney? The reason I ask is my daughter had a similar experience, excruciating pain around her right kidney and it turned out to be the inflammation from her ileum blocking her ureter and causing the kidney to swell. In Roo's case it took surgery to diagnose her. I hope the meds continue to work well for you for many years to come. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty
Thanks everyone! In regards to the question DustyKat asked, I didn't actually have a kidney stone. I was experiencing exactly what your daughter went through. It was pretty epic.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks for reply Brian.

Yeah it is pretty epic when it happens isn't it. Roo went for a nuclear scan because an ultrasound picked up the problem but they thought it was a congenital problem called UPJ (Ureteropelvic Junction) Obstruction...........the rest is history as they say!

Dusty. :)

Last edited:
" I was blessed with Crohn's instead of something less manageable or perhaps even fatal."
This is a great way to look at things, all day today I keep saying it sucks to have to deal with this for the rest of my life... but I am have to have the rest of my life. I am still young and I have a lot in life to experiance.

I was in the hospital a few months ago with kidney stones. They are not fun. It took me awhile to go to the hospital because I just thought it was something I had eaten. Then the pain got really bad and I started to vomit. It felt like something in me was going to explode.