• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Phsycologically influenced BM's?

Hi,
Anybody recognizes that when being in public ( travelling, in the city etc.,etc.) the psycological stress of Crohn's could develop a tendency to manipulate yourself to feel the urge for a BM even though its not really happening ? Lately I have had these crazy mind induced feelings of "ohh my god no toilet......and i need to" and for no apparent reason because I didn't need to go ..... huh?!?:poo:

For the record : I'm in remission and on Remicade since may 2010 and nothing else.

I have had this on occasion but the other way round. I really dislike going to the toilet anywhere other than home (as a kid I once held it for a week whilst on holiday), so sometimes the relief of getting home causes me to think I need to go. And sometimes it does cause me to go, so I get to the toilet sharpish just in case!

Hi,
Anybody recognizes that when being in public ( travelling, in the city etc.,etc.) the psycological stress of Crohn's could develop a tendency to manipulate yourself to feel the urge for a BM even though its not really happening ? Lately I have had these crazy mind induced feelings of "ohh my god no toilet......and i need to" and for no apparent reason because I didn't need to go ..... huh?!?:poo:

For the record : I'm in remission and on Remicade since may 2010 and nothing else.
I have this......I set off to work in the car and then I will get about 10 mins into my 40 min journey and think I need the toilet. I am not bad when I am inremission, however I am in a flare at the moment and had to turn round and drive back home last week as I thought I was so desparate to go, now that has worried me and I am worried about my journey to work tomorrow.

I felt stupid about it up until now as I no it is not just me!!! fingers crossed I make it to work tomorrow! :eek2:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I think its similar to your sense of smell making you need to go. Whenever I smell coffee or cigarettes, I need to go and quite often if I think about or am about to do one or the other, I need to go even without smelling it.

Crabby- both caffeine and nicotine stimulate the bowels, so that is probably classical conditioning- coffee and cigarettes have made you go so often in the past that smelling them or preparing to have one triggers the same response. Like Pavlov's dogs, who salivated everytime they heard the dinner bell ring.

Thx for the posts, I'm obviously not going crazy after all....! :kello:
Working on the mind thing.......

It's actually the exact opposite for me. When I'm out and about my mind just stays occupied (I usually overthink things, but not thise one for some reason). I've also noticed when I'm out I tend to go less often, maybe because it doesn't cross my mind.

I have convinced myself that if I don't go home after eating out it will be a really bad "D" thing. Even if I eat carefully I get scared that it will just run right thru me. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. My mind just says go home, go home. Lol