• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello My Story

Hi my name is Scott and I started to have problems sep 03 2009 mostly gas some mucus little diarrhea. Thought it was something I ate so I didn't dwell on it so much big mistake. But in retro speck it did go away in a few days so next what happen is that I got a call to go to work for a road construction company. I went north to High Level which is in northern Alberta I live in Calgary let’s see the date would have been sep 12 2009. I stayed up in high Level with no problems till the oct 06 2009 and I thank god I was working the scale shack at the time because it was the only place with a toilet for 30 kms around. This time lots of gas and blood plus diarrhea and at the time I said go see a doc but with only a week left of work I though wait it out till you can see a doctor down in Calgary. So I manage to get to Calgary to see my GP and he thought it was hemroids even after telling him my grandfather and aunt have uc and crohns. Then all at once on oct 20 2009 everything stop and returned to normal no bleeding, gas or mucus I thought the GP was right never gave it a second though. Wasn't till dec 16 2009 four days after I quit smoking It came back with a vengeance I mean 12 trips to the bath room felt dehydrated even though I was drink plenty of water blood, gas, mucus nothing solid coming out by this time I was like this is no hemroids haft to go see a real doctor. But couldn't get in for like a week so I thought I could tough it out for a few days and see the doctor after christmas boy talk about hell this coming from a guy who broke his collar bone and dislocated his shoulder and didn't go into the hospital to fix it for a day. Then on dec 26 2009 I went in to emergence room because I couldn't wait another day for my appointment with a GI ended up with fluids in my arm that help a lot saw the GI for that hospital he schedule a colonoscopy for dec 31 2009. So after that I went home till my appointment and on new Year’s eve I was told you have crohns he gave me some prednisone and set a another appoint up in late January to see how I was doing well let’s just say that I didn't make that appointment on Jan 12 2010 Went back into emerge doc wasn't in but they knew what I had so they ran lots of tests my favorite one was in the x-ray room. They had me standing up taking pictures when suddenly I felt dizzy all I manage to say before hitting the floor was can I sit down for a sec next thing I know I ‘am flat on my back while 3 x-ray tech are look over me saying thank god I didn't hit my head on anything. While in the hospital they took blood samples in the mornings and nothing but liquid diet even though I wasn't absorbing any water except through my arm and they tried me on ever pill they could think of nothing worked on a last ditch effort before surgery they tried remicade. That worked so I was finally able to leave on feb 11 2010 nine days before my birth day.So thats my story Oh I got hooked on Food Network while in the hospital I was wondering if that happen to anybody else. P.S sorry if any writhing is not perfect

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Scott!! I've seen the food network mentioned on here several times lately!! Are you still on remicade? You sound like a tough son of a gun but now that you know what you've got I hope you can stay on top of it. Good luck and stick around!!

Welcome fellow Canadian! I'm guessing that Remicade is still working good for you then?
PS-is that Tassadar as your avatar? SC fan I see!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Scott and :welcome:

Good to see you here! Wow, I'm so glad to hear the Remicade worked for you and you were able to avoid surgery. If you haven't already found the the Remicade Club here is the link.......................

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=4544

This is a great place for support and info so please stick around 'cause we would love to have you here. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

:bigwave:Hey Scott...
Well, if your avatar is any indicator, you look like one tough cookie!!
I'm glad you found relief relatively soon, even though it may not have seemed that way to you at the time.
I too found myself watching the Food Network this past weekend while in hospital on liquid diet. I think it's the human fascination with something that's off limits. Maybe also living vicariously through those people as well. We always want something we just can't have.
Hope the Remi keeps working for you. Welcome, stick around. Folks here can offer great support and a wealth of knowledge. Oh, and a good laugh too!!!

:welcome:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Scott!!!:welcome:. You are a tough cookie for sure, but passing out must of been pretty scary :eek2:. That is one thing I have never done. Be glad you were in a hospital! You got diagnosed pretty easy and most people dont.

There are many Canadians here and lots from Alberta and you and I share the same birthdate! But not the same year :lol: Hope the Remicade helps you, so many have done amazing. Welcome aboard!:smile:

Hi again thanks for the great posts. I don't think that I ‘am that tough just to stubborn to say where it really hurts sometimes. Should have gone in a lot sooner but you all know you don't want anyone to tell you you’re not alright. But the past is the past and the future always looks brighter even when we don't want to acknowledge it. So yes I ‘am still on remicade oh and Zalanicht my avatar is acutally Zeratul one of my favorite game characters. Also rottengut91 I fully agree with you on the food network thing humans always want what they can't have and I hope you are feeling better because that liquid diet is not the best in the world. One more thing Pen Passing out wasn’t scary waking up with 3 x-ray techs that are all girls and not remembering how you got there for the first 10 seconds that was scary and thank you DustyKat for showing me the remicade club.

We’ll talk to you all latter

Astra

Hi Scott
and welcome

Wot a horrible time you've had, hope the Remi continues to help, and as a matter of interest, my friend with UC flares every time she quits the cigs, one doc advised her to start again! silly sod!
stick with us, we're all stubborn too! well, sometimes!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx