• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well here's a brief version of my story lol

Hey peeps. Im a 23 year old guy from the UK, diagnosed when I was 13 with Crohn's so had 10 years of fun with it :p These days I'm on pentasa and azathioprine which seem to work pretty well. Unfortunatly I was quite ill as a teenager and didnt have much work experience up untill I was about 20 so in these lovely recession times its hard to get a job, especially with a degree in literature and history which is next to useless lol.

I spend most of my free time listening to rock/metal music, reading and being a bit of a geek so any other geeks around give me a shout.

Got any questions then ask away :)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome ?Andy?!! Were you intending to teach with your degree? I'm certainly no lit./history geek but I do enjoy both on occasion. Sounds like your crohns is behaving so that's great. Good luck and stick around!!

I thought about teaching but its probably not for me, I remember the hell everyone gave teachers that couldnt control a classroom and I'd probably fall into the same category as them.

The crohn's is usually behaving itself these days but I need to finally give up fizzy drinks/caffeine (I'm a massive addict when it comes to those but they're not doing me any favours)

Hi Andy :)

I also live in the UK and I'm finding it hard to get a job now I've FINALLY finished my degree. It's frustrating but at least I don't have to worry about taking time off from work to go to hospital appointments. My sister just graduated with a job in History and she can't get a job either and she's perfectly healthy! What jobs have you been looking at?

Still, being a geek is never a bad thing, in my opinion!

Mainly looking into admin type stuff since its what i've done before even if my degree has no actual relevance to that sort of stuff. Would be fun doing admin in a museum or library or something geey though :)

Astra

Hi Andy
and welcome fellow Brit

Glad your Crohn's is behaving itself lately!
You'll enjoy it here, loads of geeks! and they call me Boss Geek in work!!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Andy and :welcome:

Good to see you here and great to hear that you have everything under control, YAY for you!!! Hope you have luck with the job hunting............keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Stick around and browse the forums plus there's loads of members your age. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Andy, welcome. I'm also kind of a geek and I have an admin-type desk job. If you're looking for that type of job, make sure you can type fast (60 WPM is ideal for a lot of employers), that's a big plus. I like this type of job, it's something I can still do on the days when I am feeling less than stellar. I don't think I could do a job involving physical labor, so sitting at a desk all day is perfect. Good luck in your job hunt!

Spending more of my life on msn than I probably should, my typing speed is pretty good :)

Nice to know theres other brits/people around my age here as well :) I imagine I'll be posting random stuff on here a fair bit in the future. Random question, do the mods have anything against random links to youtube? I'm obsessed with music and films and always end up posting random links to stuff on forums so better make sure I'm not breaking any rules before I do it :p

Have you tried temping, Andy? It's what I'm doing at the moment till something better comes along and it pays the bills!
Yeah I've been doing temping most of this year but keep getting stuck for a few weeks+ with nothing between jobs and since its coming up to christmas there seem to be less and less jobs out there :(

Hmm tell me about it. Just try and call them every week to remind them that you're still available. I think i'm going to have to try and join every agency to get maximum job potential, I think :/