• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm pregnant!

I posted a while ago in the intro forum and talked about my narrowing and thoughts on what do to about getting preggers ... well obviously we decided to go for it! I'm 7 weeks along and feeling great so far. This is my 2nd pregnancy; with my first my crohn's was not active and I didn't know anything about the narrowing (may not have been there at the time) and felt great the whole time, like I didn't have crohn's at all. This time is a little different, I'm reminded often that I have intestines and of course found out about the narrowing after my colonoscopy in August. I spoke to my GI guy before getting preggers and he thought for sure I should see a high risk OB, however when I went to see my family doctor she didn't think it was necessary right away - I'm not really sure how I feel one way or the other. I feel great and don't really see the point of high risk when there's others that may need it more than me - but you never know what can happen once the baby starts growing and pushing more on my GI system ... anyway my next appointment is on Nov. 25th and as promised in my intro post I will keep you updated as the pregnancy progresses!

Congratulations on your pregnancy, I really hope everything goes well for you. I do think you should go with the high risk doctor. I had a very successful pregnancy the first time, but then my second pregnancy was a nightmare. I started with pains in my upper abdomin and the doctors kept saying oh it must be indigestion. They were wrong, I had an abcess and it all started there, after three surgeries, 4 months in the hospital and the loss of one of my twins, I finally delivered a healthy baby. It's always better to be checked by a doctor who knows what to look for. I wish you the best of luck and I do not want to scare you, I just want you to get the best care.

-Donna

DustyKat

Super Moderator
What wonderful news, congratulations!............

:congratualtions::congratualtions:

Please keep us posted on how you are going.

Take care, :):):)
Dusty

PS. I would go with what the GI suggests rather than the family doctor.

Thanks for your advice, I will see what my family doctor says but I think you're both right I should stick with the high risk OB ... will definitely keep you posted.

Congrats on being pregnant. My daughter got married in june and she found out she is also pregnant. She is 13 weeks now. How exciting for you!!
Bethy

10 weeks pregnant now and still feeling good, actually I'm feeling really good! Saw my family doc and we did the whole pre natal work up. With a little persuasion (from me) my doctor decited to send me to a high risk ob starting in January. My December appt. will be the last with my family doctor. Thanks everyone for your advice, although I don't feel like I need high risk, you never know - things can change quickly, and so I'm happy with the way things are turning out. Also Since I had a c-section with my daughter I am opting to deliver the same way for this one and since they're already in there I'm having my tubes tied ... so I guess it's all for the best.

thanks for listening!

Congratulations Lorr! I hope you continue to do well.

I'm at 19 weeks pregnant right now and haven't been doing so hot, baby is great, mom-not so great. My OB says I am technically high risk but I still only have to see him once a month for how.

It is so excited to be having a baby, yet so scary!

Manzy B Yes, it is exciting and scary all at the same time, this is my second so I sort of know what to expect with respect to delivery (c section for my first, so I will have one again) not so much with what it's like to be a mom of two... but I am excited!

I ended up having an ultrasound this week (10.5weeks) due to some spotting, turns out all is well with me and the baby ... i saw the little munchkin and his/her heartbeat! Very cool. But proceeding with caution of course ..... I'm anxiously awaiting the 2nd trimester where my risk will decrease.

Just another update :)

I've had more spotting and ended up at the hospital ... long story short all is still well, I had another ultrasound and showed the baby and me are fine. Apparently there are some people who have spotting/period throughout their pregnancy and I'm going to be one of them. My doctor has assured me that everything is okay and I'm to proceed as usual.

I'm now 12 weeks along and still feeling really great, although still uneasy about the spotting so I rented a dopler so I can hear my baby's heartbeat anytime!

My next appt. is in a week and that's when I should get my high risk OB referral ...

I can't believe that I'm almost half way there! 18 weeks now and all spotting has stopped ... and crohn's is doing well - I see my GI guy Thursday just for a regular check up and next week have another ultrasound to check out the baby's development. This will be the one where they can tell gender however we're going to wait. No surprise on the date because I'll have a c-section again so we'll have the excitement of finding out the gender .... Hope all my fellow pregnant crohnies are doing well too!

yay!!!! Very happy for you Lorr.

I'm glad that you are feeling well! Were in you remission when you got pregnant?
I could not wait to find out if my baby was a boy or girl! I think it would drive me nuts not knowing! :) I'm 27 weeks and trucking along. Haven't felt great this whole pregnancy, but baby is healthy!

Well, I got my C-section date today ... June 10th! I'm really excited and nervous all together. I'm not sure how all of my insides are going to be once I deliver but only time will tell. Last time I didn't start getting sick until my daughter was around 3 months, but because of the narrowing it might just happen sooner ... and I know that surgery is in the future ... just how soon I'm not sure .... I will post again in a few weeks once I've had the baby ... hopefully they have wireless at the hospital and I can post from my new toy iPad2 :)

I posted a while ago in the intro forum and talked about my narrowing and thoughts on what do to about getting preggers ... well obviously we decided to go for it! I'm 7 weeks along and feeling great so far. This is my 2nd pregnancy; with my first my crohn's was not active and I didn't know anything about the narrowing (may not have been there at the time) and felt great the whole time, like I didn't have crohn's at all. This time is a little different, I'm reminded often that I have intestines and of course found out about the narrowing after my colonoscopy in August. I spoke to my GI guy before getting preggers and he thought for sure I should see a high risk OB, however when I went to see my family doctor she didn't think it was necessary right away - I'm not really sure how I feel one way or the other. I feel great and don't really see the point of high risk when there's others that may need it more than me - but you never know what can happen once the baby starts growing and pushing more on my GI system ... anyway my next appointment is on Nov. 25th and as promised in my intro post I will keep you updated as the pregnancy progresses!
congrats i am also pregnant 8 weeks

Well I'm happy to say I'm home with my baby boy, Carson! Were doing well, just trying to find the balance of taking care of a 3 year old and a new born. So far my crohns has been good, Carson is 2 weeks today so it's still early, but I'm praying all stays quiet!

Just one question fo other nursing crohn moms? Have you had issue with. Milk supply, and does anyone know if our milk nutrition is any different?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Excellent news Lorr and Congratulations! How wonderful for you!

Good luck and enjoy your precious little bundle.

Much love, :Karl:
Dusty xxxxxxxx

Congrats :) I just found out I am pregnant as well! Not very far along but feeling well.. hope everything continues to go well for you and your family !!!

Well my little guy is almost 3 months now, hard to believe! And I'm feeling well, I can remember being quite sick around this time after my first pregnancy. This time around the doctor has put me on 9 mg of entocort to see if that will help me out to prolong surgery, so far so good. Although I hate taking medication (don't we all) it seems to be doing the trick. I'm feeling side affects which I don't like, currently is 4am and I can't sleep, and slowly I'm shedding my already drab thin/ fine hair ... Much more and I'll need
a wig.

Any suggestions on how to overcome these side affects?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Wow, 3 months already?! I am happy to hear you're doing so well, minus the Entocort side affects.

I can't offer any advice, but hopefully someone else will chime in.

Congratulations on Baby Carson! So sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping. With a new baby it's tough to get enough sleep as it is. Are you still taking prenatal vitamins? Sometimes that helps with the hair loss. Good luck!