• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Old hat, new to forum

Hello from Michigan. I've been looking for a better forum for a long time and am very hopeful from what I have read so far that this is a great place to be.

My story: 33 years diagnosed, 9 surgeries, 13 hospitalizations. Initial diagnosis took almost a full year (ok that was back in the dark ages after all). Seem to run 4 years in remission, then some kind of flare, very often each time is different.

Right now, dealing with another flare, been going on for about 4 years now, including rectal stricture/bleeding, so on Imuran, suppositories and Welchol. Considering Humira, but had a bad reaction to Remicade, so hoping the suppositories work.

I am fortunate in my job, which is outside sales, so I can, to a great extent, control my own time. Even at that, I work part time so I have time to rest and recooperate. Welchol has been a miracle in controlling the diarrhea.

Looking forward to hearing everyones stories and hoping my experience is a help.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi BUC and :welcome:

You really are an old crohnie! ;) Good to see you here and it would be great if you stayed 'cause you sure sound like you have plenty to offer. There's a great bunch of friendly people hanging out here with loads of info and support.

Guess we must still be in the dark ages since a lengthy diagnosis time remains all too common. :eek: Good to hear you have been able to get on with your life and I hope you can get your current flare under control. Have you seen the Humira Club? .............

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6500

Look forward to seeing you around. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome BUC!! Wow, 9 surgeries!! Were they all resections? Do you or have you ever had an ostomy? After so many surgeries, it would seem like you'd be running out of options. I hope that isn't the case!! Good luck with the Humira!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi BUC, welcome to the forum. I agree with Dusty, we're not quite out of the dark ages just yet, as I've been ill for 13 months and counting with no diagnosis yet. I hope you stick around the forum, with 33 years and 9 surgeries under your belt you surely have a lot of wisdom to share with us younger folk! (I'm 31 so you've been a crohnie longer than I've been alive!)

Astra

Hi BUC
and welcome

Are you male or female?
You'll be a great asset to our forum with your experience!
hope you stick around
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks for the great welcome! I will try to answer the questions you posed: I am female, 3 resections, 1 anal abscess, 1 fistulectomy, gall bladder removal and a few other non-crohns related surgeries. I am facing a possible ostomy if the mesalamine suppositories and (if I try it) the Humira, fail to work. I will check out the Humira Club. With my history I always fear I will scare those who are newbies, but I try to emphasize that during all these years I went to college, moved to Colorado, then Chicago where I lived for 15 years, lived in London (UK) for 14 months, traveled extensively and was employed during all but 1 year of the time. Not always easy, but I have been very lucky (some may call that stubborn).

He was my cat, and no he wasn't ugly, he kinda came by that name accidentally and he liked it. I've used that screen name for 15 years. He was 18 when he passed away last May. He was my angel.