• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story -or- Gastrointestinal Destiny

Hi there. I just recently signed up for these forums after a long while of searching for a Crohn's community online. If you have time, I'd love it if any of you would be willing read my story (Sorry if it's a bit long!)

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2006, when I was a sophomore in high school. My sister was diagnosed at almost the exact same time (a few months earlier), and my father had Crohn's disease also. To top it all off, my maternal grandfather had Crohn's also. It's like it was some sort of horrible gastrointestinal destiny! Despite how surprised my family and I were when I was diagnosed, when all the pieces came together we should have assumed such a diagnoses would eventually occur.

When it hit me, it hit hard. Luckily, I first began to show symptoms very late into my sophomore year of high school. As the year wound down, I began to notice a very strange change in by body. I suppose my Crohn's first appeared at the end of Winter break. I was getting horrible, watery, painful diarrhea at the rate of maybe 15 to 20 times a day. This, being not the most... pleasant of maladies, was something my puny 16 year old ego could not handle. I refused to tell my mother (whom I lived with, my father lived across town) about my issues until it began to truly show. I gradually began to lose weight - over the course of 3 months, I dropped over 30 pounds, and by the end of the school year my ankles were swelling from something that I've yet to see since that time. At first, the doctors thought I had Lyme disease, but after all the blood work and genealogy searches and such, it was decided by my physician that I had Crohn's and required the services of a GI doctor.

So, I went on some very big blue pills (Pentasa), some little yellow pills (Azathioprine) totalling out at 27 per day, with a healthy dose of Prednisone. Moonface and moodswings, ahoy! I was a pretty miserable 17 year old. The occasional acne breakouts from the steroids didn't help much either, and yet I got by. Around 2008, I began taking Remicade infusions, which I believe is a dubious wonderdrug, but I'm not complaining. It works amazingly, though when I'm due for treatment my Crohn's hits hard once again.

I graduated high school (I was even Class Thespian 2008 for my acting skills!) and went on to college. Now, any Crohn's story is relatively sad, but I'm going to warn you that this is the definite low point of my life. The first month of my first semester at college (I go to a state school not far from my home town) my father (a fellow Crohn's patient) was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. A month later, he passed away. Needless to say, this made my first year of college quite intense, and (by his orders) I stuck it through and finished up. However, looking back, I truly wonder how I made it to winter break.

Because of my father's absence in my life, I was uninsured and thus unable to receive medication for a while. My mother, whose insurance could only cover the costs of her medication (high blood pressure medication) and my sister's infusions and pills, could not provide for me. I went months unmedicated, and though I don't think I was ever quite in remission, I flared up big time and barely finished up my first semester. Luckily, with help from my brilliant gastroenterologest, I was able to find help through a charity that currently provides funds for my Remicade treatments. Hooray!

I'm going to school to become a teacher, so I understand that the stresses involved with such a career may do little to help curb the voracity of my Crohn's. However, given my prior life circumstances, I'm really not afraid of stress. Anything I'm afraid of, I try to embrace. Without this mode of thought, I don't think I would have stayed in school. I'm halfway through my English degree, and I'm planning on getting my Master's and teaching license. It's been fun, and I've had my share of obstacles, but I prefer to kick their asses instead of letting mine control my life =D

I'm pretty sure that covers up my history with Crohn's, for the most part... oh, and I have ulcerative colitus too! Which blows. But yes! I look forward to spending time here on these forums.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Silent Lunch and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. Oh my, you certainly have been through a lot and I'm so sorry about your Dad, what a terrible time that was for you.

Good on you for all that you have achieved and for what you are determined to achieve, :applause::applause::applause: You have a wonderful attitude and it will get you far in life. It's also great that you have a fab GI! YAY!!!

I hope you stick around 'cause we would love to have you here plus there's loads of friendly and supportive peeps hanging out here. I wish you continued success with the Remicade and welcome aboard!

Oh yeah, check out the Remicade Club..................

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=4544

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome SL!! I can't imagine going through all that at your age. Good to hear the remi is doing the trick!! I hope things continue smoothly for you now. Sorry for the loss of your father!! Good luck!!

Astra

Hi Silent Lunch
and welcome

I'm so sorry about your Dad, I lost mine too, and my Mum, but you've made it thro!
I can honestly say that this will make you stronger, and face adversity with a two fingered salute!
Your positivity shines through! You'll make a fab teacher!
good luck with the Remi, and the studying
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Oh wow, what a story! Sounds like things have been quite a roller coaster ride for you. The bad times certainly make you appreciate the good times though and you seem to be in a very positive head space which is brilliant. :)

But welcome to the forum and good luck with your studies and I hope things continue to improve for you.

Welcome. I'm so sorry about your dad and all of the trouble you had, but I'm sure you'll continue to do well and overcome all obstacles. Your optimism will always be a wonderful asset. I'm a teacher and so far Crohn's hasn't impacted my work, but I've only been sick for a year. Well, I guess missing the FCAT tests was a big impact, but other than that, it's been fine. I teach 5th graders and they are just an awesome bunch of young people. Luckily, I have a bathroom in my classroom. Sometimes I'll be so tired that I will start to have a private pity party, but then one of the young, healthy teachers will start moaning about her exhaustion. Then I realize that it's normal to be tired after being on your feet and working hard to keep a bunch of ten-year-olds on task for a full day. lol

Thank you for sharing your story. You seem very brave and strong. If you keep that up, I am sure you will get through anything life throws at you. I am new the the forum too. I am looking forward to getting some support from others who can relate. Best of luck to you!