• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all!

Hey everyone,
I am 20 years old (will be 21 on Thanksgiving!) and I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease since I was 13. It has definitely been a journey to say the least! The last 8 years I have been on prednisone, and my doctor and I are now considering alternate methods of treatment. After months of tears, appointments, frustrations, ER visits, and tests, I have my first Remicade infusion on Monday! The past year has been especially difficult, and I am ready to take my life back. Juggling school, work, crohn's, and trying to apply for graduate school has definitely made things interesting. I've come to the forums in search of advice, support, and possibly to meet people around my age who have my condition (I actually met a girl with Crohn's as well who was sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME in my class at my university. She asked me for the notes for a class she'd missed and after talking, she told me that she had missed class because of her doctor's appointment due to her Crohn's! Imagine the look on her face when I told her I had Crohn's as well! We are now good friends and having her support has been a godsend! Funny how life works, right?). I am also the only one in my family with any history of Crohn's disease.

Besides the Crohn's, I am a fourth year Biology major at a university in California. I love to read (I love Fantasy novels, including the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series) and I love anything involving fashion, art, music, or theatre. I have six brothers and I am the only girl. I am not sure what else to say... I hope to get to know some of you! :D

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi TICinderella, and welcome to the forum. I hope Remicade works well for you. I haven't been on it myself, but my friend is on it and it's been working well for her (and I agree with you that having a close crohnie friend is a godsend!). There's a thread in the Treatment forum called "Remicade club", you should check it out. There's lots of information in there that should be helpful to you.

You say you like fantasy novels - have you ever read anything by Terry Pratchett? My husband is a huge Pratchett fan. Happy early birthday, and again, welcome! :)

Astra

Hi cinders
and welcome

that's fab that you've found a fellow Crohnie! You'll be able to support each other and compare notes!
good luck with the Remi, that's a long time to be on Pred! Hope you're ok, bone wise?
glad you found us, lots of peeps your age
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi TICinderella, and welcome to the forum. I hope Remicade works well for you. I haven't been on it myself, but my friend is on it and it's been working well for her (and I agree with you that having a close crohnie friend is a godsend!). There's a thread in the Treatment forum called "Remicade club", you should check it out. There's lots of information in there that should be helpful to you.

You say you like fantasy novels - have you ever read anything by Terry Pratchett? My husband is a huge Pratchett fan. Happy early birthday, and again, welcome! :)
Thanks for the welcome! :D I have a friend who was on remicade and it put her in remission for four years, so I'm hopeful. I will definitely check out the "Remicade Club" forum. Thank you for letting me know! As for Terry Pratchett, no, I have not actually read any. I'm looking for some new books to start reading, so I'll definitely put him on the list!

Hi cinders
and welcome

that's fab that you've found a fellow Crohnie! You'll be able to support each other and compare notes!
good luck with the Remi, that's a long time to be on Pred! Hope you're ok, bone wise?
glad you found us, lots of peeps your age
lotsa luv
Joan xxx
thanks for the welcome! :D
bone density wise, I'm fine, but it certainly was a long time to be on prednisone! I think they persisted with it because at first I was able to sustain remission on a low dose. Not so true anymore unfortunately. :/ hopefully I'll start remicade and see some improvements, but either way it's definitely time for a life overhaul (I need to start excersizing, eating better, etc).

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi cinderella and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. This is a great place with loads of support and info and there are heaps of members around your age too! I hope the Remicade does the trick for you and it's great that you have a friend who will understand exactly what you are dealing with. I look forward to seeing you around, welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, Cinderelly (sorry...I love those little mice!), and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome TIC!! Good luck with the Remi!! Please stick around!! Having friends who can empathize is good for everyone!!