• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I am Jack's colon

Did you get the reference?

Hi, I'm Kathryn. And I have Crohn's disease.

At around 1 am on a Sunday on April of 2005, I woke up with horrible stomach cramps and ran to the bathroom. I spent all night in the bathroom and then all of the next day. And then the day after that. I was visiting my parents but had to make it back to school for a test on Wednesday, so I left late Tuesday with the hopes I could make the five hour drive without having to stop for the bathroom. No such luck. I think I stopped maybe 6 times to use the facilities. Wednesday morning I woke up and felt so horrible, I ditched my classes and instead called up a local gastroenterologist and made an emergency appointment.

He saw me three hours later, made an appt for me to come in the next morning for a colonoscopy and boom... diagnosis.

He wasn't able to get my disease under control in the next two months and I ended up taking medical leave from school and moving home to live with my parents in a larger city with bigger and better doctors and hospitals. In September of that year, I spent a week in the hospital followed by another year of it not being under control and then another week in the hospital in October of '06. It was all just one big flare-up that we couldn't get under control. We tried Pentasa, Entocort, prednisone, azathioprine, and Remicaide.

Finally, my body started to respond to high doses of steroids along with a combination of azathioprine and Remicaide. I began to see a therapist to help me come to terms with having a disease and needing to treat it rather than ignore it, or waiting until the last minute to express what was going on with my body to my doctor.

After about four months of that, I was well enough to start working on a regular basis and I came off of the steroids and the Remicaide. Since then, I've had some flare-ups here and there but nothing as bad as that first year. I only take the azathioprine now and have managed to get it down to a sub-therapeutic level. I take other drugs to help me with occasional nausea and heartburn and stress, but nothing else specifically for Crohn's.

When my doctor and I started going over my medical history, he was able to start connecting the dots that showed I had probably had it a lot longer before my diagnosis. I had JRA until I was about 22, had suffered from a lot of stomach "illnesses" in my youth and had rectal bleeding on and off for a number of years. Funny how it always takes that one big flare-up to really find out what's wrong with you. Eh.

In any case, now, for the most part, I'm okay. I moved last year, have a new GI who I really like, and try to stay on track medically. I still have flare-ups but they are much smaller now and just take quick rounds of steroids when necessary to fix. I think my biggest problem is that I really do not like taking drugs, I never have, and have a tendency to take myself off my azathioprine without telling my doctor. It's a horrible habit and has caused issues in the past (forgetting to taper off of steroids and just stopping) but it's something I am trying to work on now. Continuously, really.

I've never really sought out other people with Crohn's disease before but I'm looking forward to learning from other people's experiences to better live my life. And sometimes, I'm looking for someone to commiserate with as well. I figure it's got to be occasionally easier to explain what's going on without editing out the horror. :)

-Kathryn

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Kathryn and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. You certainly have been through the wringer! It was so good to hear they finally managed to get things under control. I'm not going to say anything about the drugs 'cause I reckon you've already heard it all ;) and it is something you are going to have to get your head around, maybe being here will help you do that.

Do you do anything specifically with your diet? Do you take any supplements or maybe not if you don't like taking tablets?

Have a good look through the Food and Diet Forum as diet can play a big role in how people feel when they flaring and when they aren't. Browse the other forums as well and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, nothing is off limits and there's no such thing as TMI!

Looking forward to seeing you around. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Besides my azathioprin (200mg/daily), which I'm currently not taking, I don't take any sort of supplements. I've thought about adding a daily vitamin and I have tried a few times but I usually stop doing it after a week or two. I've never liked taking medicine but at one point I was at something stupid like 32 pills a day and I've been crazy hateful towards them since.

My diet is pretty par for the course as far as a non-diseased person's is. The only thing I really stay away from is tomatoes because they are a trigger for me. The rest of the time, I ignore the discomfort and only change my eating when I'm in an active flare-up.

I have been looking over the food and diet forum because there seems to be a lot of good information there. Heck, there's lot of good information everywhere here, it seems.

Thank you for the welcome.

-Kathryn

Astra

Hi Kathryn
and welcome

so glad that horrible part of your life is over!
I know all about the drug taking, I just didn't take em! But I'm a changed person now, cos I was really ill back in Jan with an infection!
Enjoy the forum, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thank you for the welcome, Joan.

I figure one of these days, I'll learn my lesson and stop doing it. And each time it happens I say I won't do it again even though I usually do. That being said, I do it far less often now, the time between doing it and not has definitely increased. So I'm getting there!

-Kathryn

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Kathryn! I don't know about skipping the Aza!! My understanding is that it takes so long to reach sufficient levels in your system that it may not help quickly should you flare. I hope it's not the case and you have no major problems. Good luck!!

Thanks for the welcome, Mark!

It takes, I'm told, approximately 4 - 6 wks for azathioprine to reach it's full absorption/efficiency.

-Kathryn

I feel ya on diet. I'll continue to eat what I damn well please unless im in real bad shape. Corn is my biggest trigger, but nothing gets in the way of me and bacon.

I went off steroids cold turkey when I was 12 because I hated having chipmunk cheeks. I didn't tell my doc or parents I did it till months later. A year ago I was tempted to do it again because it gave me acne like i have never seen, but then I read that doing that can put you in a coma or kill you, so i begrudgingly tapered. As we get older we probably have less leeway to fuck with our medication.

Welcome to the boards Jack's colon!

Sometimes, if you have the freedom to do it, doing what you want, while not always the smartest, is way better than doing what you need. Heh.

I did the same thing with the steroids shortly after my diagnosis. Of course, I was an adult when it happened, and I can honestly say I wasn't aware of the possible consequences of doing so when I did it, but I did still do it.

I don't think we have less leeway to fuck with our medicine as we get older. I think the leeway is always there, but I think we gain life experience and a better knowledge of what fucking with our medicine really does to us and our bodies. (All true, of course, I have that knowledge and I still do that, too.)

As for the acne, next time it crops up due to the 'roids, try DDF sensitive skin face wash (at Sephora, online and off). I swear by the stuff.

Thanks for the welcome!

-Kathryn