• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

Stomach began to hurt like crazy senior year of college.
Two years later I had 2 abscesses followed by fistulas (you know where).
Surgery, several years of pain meds (percoset was great when it was great).
Avoided red meat generally. Never had any more fistulas. Always had since that time (and continue to have) terrible gas. Became mostly vegan about a year ago (except for fish). A little improvement with the elimination of dairy. I dont take any medications. In the first few years I took Pentasa every day, 1 million blue pills a day. Did jack. Same with everything else. Only tried a little 6MP because it freaked me out. Now I take nothing because the doctors told me, oh, ok so we found out Pentasa doesn't really do anything. Until they find a pill that actually fixes it without causing leukemia or infuses you with biological agents, I am staying away from the meds. Being vegan has been very interesting, because I have explored so many new choices of vegetables, supplements, fruits, things I never really ate before. My symptoms certainly haven't gotten worse. I REALLY wish the gas would go away though. I feel like I have millions of the wrong bacteria in me attacking my food and digesting it way up high in my intestines before digestion is supposed to happen and that it just releases tons and tons of gas that gets released later. Its awful and embarrassing. Strangely, switching to a diet of mostly fruits and vegetables has NOT increased the gas. Bread, though, is hell. Everytime I eat bread. Same with some soy milks. Chocolate appears to be a problem. Everything else, its just generally the same. An uncomfortable, but not incredibly painful, very large amount of gas that has been going on now for 7 years.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Scott and :welcome:

Good to see you here. Interesting to read your experiences with a vegan diet. My daughter has been on a vegan diet for a couple of months now and finds it suits her very well. She has not eaten red meat since her surgery 4 years ago and over time has eliminated all meat, dairy and finally seafood. She feels she has more energy and definitely no more bloating. It would seem this diet coupled with natural Psyllium Husks has also brought her short bowel syndrome under control. She doesn't have issues with gas. She has been in remission since her surgery.

I hope you stick around 'cause it would be great to have you here plus there's loads of info and support. Good luck with your diet and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Scott!! It may be naive of me to think it could help, but have you tried Beano, Gas-x etc.? I see it advertised, but I don't know if it really works. I've also seen them mentioned on here occasionally. It seems they work for some and others are not so impressed by them. Good luck with your diet. I hope it continues to work for you and you can stay off the meds. Stick around!!