• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

White Tongue ?

Hi , Just a quick question if anyone can help.
It's prob nothing but have noticed that these last couple of days my tongue is kinda white and furry lookin in the mornings. After i've had something to drink and brushed my teeth/tongue it's better. It doesn't feel itchy/weird or anything. Dont know if this is new but only just noticed it looked like this
I am taking Flagyl (Metronidazole) at the moment as well as Prednisolone and asacol (also take ventolin inhalors for asthma). Could these be making my mouth dry out and that's whats making it look white in the mornings.
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question , im a worrier :frown: and since being diagnosed with crohns think if kinda been driving my doctor mad with lots of silly questions.
(Also just had a wisdon tooth removed 3 weeks ago and the dentist didn't mention anything about my tongue whilst he was looking round)
Thanks

Hi there, a relation of mine has asthma and takes ventolin inhalors and occassionally has thrush in his mouth which is like a white tongue, do a google images search for mouth thrush or thrush in mouth or something and see if it looks similar.

You can get stuff from your gp anyway so pay a visit! hope this helps

Hey , Just had a look at some oral Thrush Pictures on Google and it doesn't look anything like that, im thinking maybe my mouth is just a bit dry from the meds as after drinkin it does seen a bit better (i really don't drink anywhere near as much as i should) But don't think it's thrush after looking at the pics on there. Im due back to the dentist for a review so i may get him to have a quick look.
Im probably just being a bit dramatic as usual lol
Thanks

I have had thrush from Pred, but thrush won't wipe off if you do manage to get the white stuff off it hurts and can bleed.

Next time you are at the docs mention it to them and make sure, my guess is that its dry mouth.

Oh no it don't bleed or anything , just mouth feels well dry in the morning but once ive had a good brush and plenty to drink looks much better.
Im only on the Flagyl for another 4 days so hopefully it'll be a bit better once i've finshed that. Im just a bit worrier. Im also taking beta blockers and Citalopram for my anxiety so i am on a lot of meds currently so i really wouldn't be supprised if somethin was giving me dry mouth.
Feelin a bit better now , Thanks guys :)

From my experience with Flagyl I can tell you it is most likely that. I would wake up every morning with a vile taste in my mouth and a white tongue through most of the day unless I would scrub and scrape the heck out of it, and even at that it wouldn't go away completely until I was off the antibiotics. Now I still get it from time to time but this time it's due to either Peptamen (/boost) type drinks and/or my chewable calcium citrate tabs. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, personally. If it persists you can ask your doctor or you can ask him/her sooner but I never did and I didn't suffer for it lol..

I had the same sort of thing when I was very sick. It was white and furry looking, kind of like tiny feathers. Mine was geographic tongue, which is quite common with crohn`s disease. I was on asocal when I got it too. Scrapping my tongue with a tooth brush or scrapper made it so much worse. It eventually went away on its own.

It might be because you're dehydrated. Do you have Colitis? Your colon may be so inflamed that it isn't absorbing water properly. This happened to me about 6 months ago.

I was diagnosed with Crohns about 3 weeks ago after 6 months of problems. They did suspect colitis at first , but the biopsys i had showed it was crohns. Ive just been through a flare up not that long ago , but since starting the meds my symtoms have decreased. I think it may be dehydration as i really don't drink as much as i should and with the medications im on and the fact that i do have crohns i really should start drinking more (need to start taking better care of myself) i have also only just noticed it since i started on the flagyl so im thinking it may be a mixture of the tablets and not drinking enough. But only have 2 more days of them left so thinking may try drinking a lot more and see what happens when i stop the tablets.
Thanks everyone :)

Just thought would let anyone know who is reading this thread and has the same problem, that since i have stopped taking the flagyl , the white tongue and bad taste has completly gone and totally back to normal :)