• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol

asacol

Did anyone who took asacol has a problem with their legs ache like you have the flu? It got so bad for me that I stopped taking the pill. I was wondering if anyone else has that problem or maybe I had just got some type of bug.
JUNE

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi June,

I have not taken Asacol, but that seems like it could definately be causing a side-effect if it has occured just after taking it. I recommend speaking with your doctor ASAP to discuss this thouogh, as not taking the drug may cause other problems.

J

jarsek2000

JUNE said:
Did anyone who took asacol has a problem with their legs ache like you have the flu? It got so bad for me that I stopped taking the pill. I was wondering if anyone else has that problem or maybe I had just got some type of bug.
JUNE
Hi June,

I took Asacol for many years and it put my (then) Ulcerative Colitis into remission. I thought that it was a wonderful drug. Doc told me that the drug is designed to KEEP disease in remission so you have to keep taking a dose even when you feel well and have no symptoms. I certainly had NO side effects whatsoever.

I'm not qualified enough to venture a reason for the legs aching but what I do know is that one of my Crohn's symptoms was a form of arthritis and especially muscle pain which did affect the legs and arms.

I did some research on the Internet and found a condition that fitted my symptoms so well that I was convinced I'd found something that the medical profession had overlooked. It's called "Fibromyalgia" but when I put it to the consultant he was very dubious but to be fair, kept an open mind. I now think upon reflection that the muscle pain was attributable directly to Crohns Disease and not fibromyalgia at all.

I don't think that the Asacol is to blame - in fact i found it to be a very benign drug with no side-effects at all!

Hope you get to the bottom of it and do keep me informed.

Best wishes,

Jim

I was on Asacol for over 4 years and actually found that i did not have any side effects from it. But i did find that it also didn't do anything for my crohns either. which in turn i had muscle aches and a lot of stomach cramping. It could just be that your not going in to full remission on the asacol. I would definitely talk to your Dr, maybe it just doesn't work for you as well. My Dr explained to me that there now finding that asacol isn't as good as they first thought it would be for crohns patients. hope all goes well for you.

update

Well I just quit taking my asacol and all my aches went away. I could not even walk. mybe everything just went in remission. Not sure. I have not went to a new doctor yet. I hope to see one by the end of the month. I suppose by then I would know if it was the asacol or just the crohns.
june