• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Almost Diagnosed...

After what appears to have been a long and winding road, I am getting close to a formal diagnosis of Crohn's / IBD. I've had stomach problems for over 10 years and have been variously treated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, GERD, Duodenal ulcers and even diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME.

I finally had a full investigation (CT scan/Ultrasound/Blood Tests/Colonoscopy), which confirmed ulceration and inflammation in the junction between the large and small intestine. I'm just waiting for the histopathology results from the six biopsies they took during the colonoscopy to confirm my Consultant's opinion that I have Crohn's disease.

Somewhat of a mixed blessing I feel... I'll be glad to finally know what's been wrong with me all this time - but concerned about the various medications that I may have to take / tolerate

Currently I'm the middle of an episode/flare-up, probably the longest / worst yet, with burning nagging pain around the lower right-hand side of my tummy (appendix area), sore throat, sore joints, tiredness and general low mood.

However, trying to keep my chin up and put my best foot forward!

Hi, welcome to the forum. Its a mixed bag getting a Crohn's DX. At least now you will be able to find a treatment plan and hopefully get your quality of life back. I hope you start feeling better!

Thanks Nica,

I have a appointment with my consultant in about a week's time - and hopefully then we can start thinking about how we can get this current flare under control (!)

Tony, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel (or is that just the end of the scope?) Anyway, glad you found this site, the people are really great, understanding and empathic.

Best of luck with your doc visit next week. I might suggest taking someone with you who can be supportive of you and also help ask questions and listen. I find sometimes that I do not always "hear" everything the doc says because of the emotional reaction I have to what he might be saying and I always forget some questions I was longing to ask. Good luck and keep us updated!

Thanks BigUglyCat, LOL - definitely light at the end of the 'scope! - thankfully Midazolam is a wonderful drug, 'cause I can't remember all that much about the colonscopy. I do remember trying to climb off the table at one point however, as my consultant tried to negotiate my "tricky corner" - his words not mine!

I have only just been diagnosed very recently; obviously its sad news, however its such a relief to have a diagnosis so you can be put on relevant medication!!! So hopefully you will have your answers soon!!

Much love

Thanks Kelsea - I'm looking forward to seeing the Consultant and hopefully getting this current flare under control. It's definitely the longest and most painful yet. How is taking the Pentasa? I'm sure this will be what I'll be started on - or at least one of the Mesalazines...

I've only been on Pentasa for a week or so...to be honest i'm not really seeing any differences as of yet. I've been told by my consultant to leave it a few weeks and then come back and see him if it still isn't helping and they will put me on steroids too. I'm quite grateful they are trying to sort it without steroids but i'm also realistic! lol.

Good luck and keep us posted!