• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C-C-C-C-Crohn's

well, I am John and I just turned 25. I have had stomach problems since I was a small boy.

In high school I was put on several steroids and other medication, and it made me blow up like a balloon. They never did a biopsy or scope or anything. At one point I was on about 10 different medications, about 40 pills a day. This all led to depression and anxiety. When I was around 14 I developed schizophrenia and depression, so I was already on medication for that. Top it off with gaining about 60 pounds in 9 months and I was a wreck. Had to go to alternative education. Was sleeping about 35 hours at a stretch. Spent some time in a mental hospital. Became homeless. Emancipated from parents.

At that point I was in college and then went to europe for a few months alone to get my head straight.

Took a couple years off from school and kicked ALL the medication. Most of my symptoms went away with meditation etc. The stomach pain and long hours spent in the bathroom stayed though. Every once in a while hemorrhoids which were the worst. Bloody stool. ULCERS have been in my life since I was about 8.

Fast forward a couple more years and I am back in school. One year left with an international relations degree.

This past summer I had a flare up. Finally found a doctor that didnt just want to give me medication. We did all kinds of tests including scopes in both ends and biopsies.

Crohn's is the case that they gave me.

So now I am on 2 big pentasa 4 times a day as well as boswellia and probiotics. I try to watch my diet, no cheese or fatty things. also tomatoes set me off for some reason. Beer can too sometiems. I smoke about 6 a day. Sometimes I smoke the marijuana or bake with it, or make pills with it. It is a help now and then.

So somedays are worse than others. Some days its hard to get out of bed. Other days I am a real asshole. But most days I just tell myself tomorrow will be better, and usually it is.

I spend my time reading and tinkering on my old motorcycle. Read comics watch movies, camping, going to the river here in San Marcos texas. Play with my schnauzer and spend time with my girlfriend.

One day at a time I guess. Well this is my first post. :hallo2:

Welcome, Johnny.

"One day at a time" is a pretty good philosophy. That's probably how many people in here can sum up their disease too.

I'm glad that you were able to do what you needed to get your Crohn's under control. Some people are still struggling around here. They could use your insight to focusing on you. You seem like a strong person at heart.

Welcome to the forum, and best wishes. <3

Hi, Johnny. I was on meds for anxiety/panic. Now I think my anxiety and panic were due to being so sick most of the time. When you're sick everything seems so impossible. I feel pretty lucky as I'm newly diagnosed and I'm middle-aged. I can't imagine being burdened with this disease from the time I was a kid. You hang in there and never ever give up.

Louann

Thanks folks.

Whos to say what caused what in my case. My family was pretty terrible growing up. No idea what that kind of stress can do or how it manifests itself in a body.

I am not religious by any means, but I guess I coud be spiritual. For all the pain I am in at any moment my mental condition definitely plays a large part in how I feel. Extreme cases excepted of course. There have been times where I really felt like death, but over the last few years I really think understanding my body and my emotions and truly managing them has been key to managing my condition.

I havent really explored these forums yet, and I dont know how comfortable I am offering any advice, or how open people will be to taking it. But I will be available in this thread at least. I spend most of my internet time on my motorcycle forum. Throwing myself into projects helps a lot. Last year it was gardening. idle hands and all that.