• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Welcome Rose55

Hi
I have a 22 year old son who was diagnosed with Crohns 10 years ago. He has only been well for about 4 of those 10 years. He is finding life a real trial and especially since he had a permanent ileostomy and rectum removal a year ago. He is so angry that life has dealt him such a terrible hand and is unable to get on with living. I feel like we both have a death sentence hanging over us as it is not only hell for him it is also really hard work for me to keep positive and supportive.

hi Rosie - i created a new thread for your post so that it's easier for our members to see you've joined, and to welcome you....

i am so sorry to hear how hard-hit your son is by all this, and i can truly commiserate as i was a similar age when i had similar surgery.

is he any better healthwise since the operation?

i know having this kind of operation forced upon you at any age is awful, but when you're young and were looking forward to a normal healthy life, it can completely shatter your dreams and your confidence... but there is a good life worth living, even with this surgery, and i hope in time your son will recover both physically and mentally enough to realise that, and enjoy his life.

maybe he would like to join our forum too? :)

Hi, welcome to the forums. I agree with dingbat that he may benefit from the forums, lots of tips to living with crohns floating around on here and people who understand what he is going through.

Even if he does not join I hope we can help you in some way, I know there is a parents forum plus maybe some ideas on coping.

thanks for your welcome. My son may have joined this forum, I have advised him too. He has joined ileostomy support forum but dosent use it. I can so empathise with everything he feels about his life, his stoma, and all the other symptons of Crohns he has. It seems to be one thing after another. He is continually being knocked down. I just dont know how to get him to a place in his head where he can see a future. He has had counselling, has two fantastic IBD nurses who are very supportive, has a great GP and has been through pain management clinic. He has been prescribed so many forms of analgesia but never takes them for long enough to see if they make a difference. He wont take antidepressants (though I can understand why). He is low in iron and refuses to take iron supplement or eat iron rich food. Arrrrggghhhh ! Hopefully I will meet other parents on this forum and we can help each other.
:grumpy: