• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Predict Complications??

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Interesting. I wish there was a web-based tool where you could input as much data as you know about yourself, and could get feedback from it. Also interesting that they seem to say that females are more at risk for complications. And I wonder what they mean by older age at diagnosis - I'm 31 and undiagnosed, my onset of symptoms was just before I turned 30.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
How neat - thanks for sharing, Jessica!

Cat, I was wondering same: do they mean onset of clinically significant symptoms, or do they mean actual diagnosis? For many people, there's rather a large gap there. I reported my symptoms about 6 years ago (was told that D 15-20 times/day is "just normal for some people").

Plus, the longer you go untreated (since they wouldn't help me until I had a diagnosis) can mean that the inflammation has had more time to do damage. I wonder -- certainly can't say for sure, but I do wonder -- if the long lag time to starting treatment is why I'm still suffering and unable to get ahold of my symptoms 6 months after diagnosis.

Last edited:
How neat - thanks for sharing, Jessica!

Cat, I was wondering same: do they mean onset of clinically significant symptoms, or do they mean actual diagnosis? For many people, there's rather a large gap there. I reported my symptoms about 6 years ago (was told that D 15-20 times/day is "just normal for some people").
They told you that was normal!? When I was diagnosed, I remember telling the ARNP I was talking to that I have D about once a week, but "only after eating an entire bucket of popcorn," really trying to be dismissive about it (because I thought it was normal) and being told that not only is it not normal, but it's something to take note of.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
They told you that was normal!?
Crazy, eh? I couldn't get anyone to listen for a very, very long time (not until the regular bleeding started... so getting people to listen must REALLY suck for those with Crohn's who have little or no visible bleeding).