• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello...new here.

Hi, My name is Tracy. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 14 years ago. Had 4 feet of colon removed 12 years ago and have been symptom free drug free up until 6 weeks ago when I started experiencing joint pain. After five weeks of being bounced around by doctors not knowing what was wrong, it was finally diagnosed as Crohn's related arthritis. In the time since my surgery I have given birth to two healthy children and lived a 'normal' life. I currently had no gastric symptoms from my crohn's until I took Arthromax 75 for the arthritis and had major "issues" six hours later. My doctor has now prescribed mylan-naproxen for my arthritis. As it is also a NSAIDs was just wondering if anyone else had used it without any major side effects. Because I've been in remission for so long I really don't want to risk a flare up. Just trying to weigh my options between suffering with arthritis pain or potential gastric upset.

Hello Tracy!

Welcome! I am also new here. You will find many great people here as well as a plethora of knowledge and experience regarding Crohn's, IBD, etc.

I have Crohn's and take Naproxen regularly. I had a total left hip replacement in January 2009 and I have end stage osteoarthritis in my right hip. I use naproxen to treat my osteoarthritis. I take up to 880 mgs per day (most often 440 except on really painful days)and it doesn't bother my Crohn's at all.

I also use cortisone injections in my right hip as well with no adverse affect on my Crohn's.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Regards,

Steven

Astra

Hi Tracy
and welcome

What a shame you're suffering again after so many years. I'm not sure about the meds but hope they don't flare you up like some NSAIDS have a habit of doing!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks for the info Stevenb1291. So far so good with the naproxen... I had almost instant upset with the Arthromax, but also faster relief... It's a trade off I can live with though!

Thanks Joan, hoping this arthritis flare up is almost over and I won't be on NSAIDs long.