• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eating fibers?

eating fibers?

[FONT="Arial Narrow"]Hi,
Do u still remember me? Well, in a nutshell, I have been diagnosed with Crohn's in 2007 microscopically only. I'm still waiting for the damage to emerge and have a definite diagnosis. Have severe stomach problems, GERD, gastritis, dudonitis and H.pylori. Now, I'm taking 40 mg pred, 150 mg azathioprine, 80 mg Nexuim, Xanax, Stablon, a multivitamin, Vitamin A. The problem is that I have decided for more than 2 months now to boycott any type of fibers. No fibers whatsoever in my diet. Whenever I take fibers, I have severe abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Things were going fine without fibers until I have become constipated. Does anybody do this? Not eat fibers whatsoever? I've read somewhere that not having any fiber intake can cause colon cancer. Is this right? Should I eat fibers to fight that severe C or do without them?
______________________________________________________[/FONT[I
]][SIZE="1"]Previous meds: a variety of antibiotics for a year.
Pentasa and then Salofalk 500, 4 x 2 for a year and a half.
Had in 2009 many flare ups for which I took antibiotic injections.
Suffer from Vitamins A and E deficiency
anal fissures and rashes, fatigue
[/[/I]SIZE]

My doctor told me to add fiber to my diet. He even suggested those fiber wafers that you buy at the drugstore. Maybe you should get a second opinion just to be sure.

Hello! I agree with Tmgread you do need some fiber....what about low-fiber/residue stuff. There is some fiber even in white bread and rice. there is fiber in just about everything anymore since our country is addicted to poop!
Good luck I know what you are going through!

Mangos work in our house or half an apple that is sliced. We have to stay on the low fiber side. Otherwise, same issue with cramping.

Another option is Miralax which will help your stool absorb water. Hope you get some relief

My Gi told me to take miralax for constipation. I am still on a fairly low fiber diet, have been on one for over 10 years now. GI tells me to eat some, but "don't go out and eat a salad" so some fiber is OK, but if it causes issues cut back.