• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can Entocort reduce immune system?

I've been on Entocort for enemas that I take orally. I dissolve a pill in juice. I am also on Imuran. Since October, I've had 2 head colds and now #3 has started. Is it possible that this combination of entocort and imuran could be making it hard for my body to fight infections etc?

I've been on these 2 drugs now since March. My immune system has been through hell given cancer, chemo and 2 surgeries over the past 2 years (chemo in 2009).

Thanks

Yes, definately, since imuran is an immune suppressant drug! Steroids like entocort also have an immune suppressive effect, not sure how string it would be on its own since entocort is not as systemic as pred, but in combination with the imuran your immune system will be lowered. I would tell your doctors, they can check nothing more sinister is going off, and maybe your dosages need to be tweaked.

Hold on a minute, oral enemas? What do you mean?
Entocort in the capsule doesn't work well in the duodenum. The enema pill disolves quickly in juice and when I drink it, it works immediately. I was having Crohns problems there last winter and that entocort solution worked. But it was too late and the scarring that was left required surgery to bypass.

I would say it is more the Imuran than the entocort. But, Entocort is a steroid and you are getting the full systemic dosage I would guess taking it that way.

I have to wonder why they don't have you on prednisone rather than taking entocort that way, I would think its almost the same thing and entocort is super expensive.

I would say it is more the Imuran than the entocort. But, Entocort is a steroid and you are getting the full systemic dosage I would guess taking it that way.

I have to wonder why they don't have you on prednisone rather than taking entocort that way, I would think its almost the same thing and entocort is super expensive.
They tried pred but it didn't work and typically doesn't on the duodenum.

I was on Imuran for 7+ years and never had problems with reoccuring colds but I was wondering if long term use of entocort could make matters worse.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm on Entocort and it definitely seems to have lowered my immune system. I first got ill with this gut disease (still undiagnosed) in Oct 2009, and for a full year until Oct 2010 I was on no meds. I didn't catch a cold that entire year. Now I'm on Entocort and I've had two colds/viruses in two months. Seems like I've just traded one form of being ill all the time for another! :(

I had a staph infection when I was on Entocort, which had never happened to me before, nor since. I definitely think it *can* affect your immune system (not that it necessarily will, or did in my case). It is listed as a side effect and they tell you to "avoid people with infections."

Hi,

I also take budesonide, the active ingredient in Entocort, and Immuran. I believe budesonide is a lot more systemic than most doctors believe. It gets inactivated by the liver more quickly than prednisone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work on the body as before it gets inactivated. I take budesonide in enemas and it definitely makes me depressed (bad) and helps keep Crohn's related arthritis down (good). I think it's also contributed to glaucoma and osteopenia (osteoporosis "lite", so to speak) (both bad). But it's made me well, so I guess it's all worth it.

So, in me, it definitely does have systemic effects. I can fully imagine that in some people the combination of immuran and budesonide could really lower the immune system.

Do you get flu shots? These have helped me, I think. People on immunosuppressants usually get first in line when the shots first come out. I got the usual one last year, and the H1N1 shot too.

Good luck,

Sandy

I've been on high dose steroids for 3 months, and haven't had a single infection whilst others around me have. Not complaining though...
It affects some more than others, but also this is the time of year when there are lots of circulating viruses so you will always get more at this time..on steroids or not. Azathioprine is a different kettle of fish though...does and will lower your immune system- thats how it works- but again may not be responsible for your bout of viral infections.

Docs worry more about bacterial infection than viral..if you had recurrent bacterial infection they would be more concerned than recurrent viral ones.

I've been on entocort for 16 years and Imuran for 14..I have been having chronic UTis for years but the one I was fighting a couple of months ago didn't respond to the 6 different antibiotics that I was prescribed..I ended up getting IV cipro for 7 days twice day...Fast forward to now and the exact same thing has happened again and I am scared that I'm going to get an infection and die from it..I have gotten a new GI doc who says I was on entocort for way too long It has taken me 18 months to wean from 3 caps a days to 1..is anyone out there with similar problems?

I also have issues with UTI's( I have Interstitial Cystitis as well). I am resistant to lots of antibiotics as well and the ones I am not resistant to, well I have allergic reactions too. Resistance happens when you take antibiotics to many times or when you take them for an infection but not for long enough. When I get a UTI it is usually E-coli. My ecoli is resistant to Cipro, Keflex, Gentamycin( which is an IV med that I have not ever taken before in my life), pennicillin and Augmentin is intermediate which means it likely wont work amymore.

It is scary as hell for me. I have an infectious disease doctor who I see when I get UTI's. He admitted that it is not good to have all the resistances. He said it in imperative Not to take antibiotics unless I absolutely have to. I HATE taking them so I always try and avoid them. When you have a UTI though, you have to take them so it does not go to your kidneys.

Last UTI I Had I ended up on Suprax( it is a third generation cephalosprin). I am resistant to the first generation( keflex). Also my Infectious disease doctor said there is one antibiotic out there that they can prescribe called Monurol. It can sometimes work when other antibiotics fail.

I am so prone to UTI's that I literally shower after every Bowel movement to be sure I am clean down there. It is ridiculous all I have to go through in order to help prevent UTI's. I also take a natural supplement called Dmannose daily. It is supposed to work against e-coli in the urinary tract.

I have not even been diagnosed with Crohn's. I have been having issues with my intestines though for 5 years now and I feel like I am getting worse. I worry that if I do actually get diagnosed with Crohn's I have No clue what I will be able to take since I cannot take medications at all. I always end up getting allergic to anything I take. It is scary and you are not alone.

QUOTE=janey27;932167]I've been on entocort for 16 years and Imuran for 14..I have been having chronic UTis for years but the one I was fighting a couple of months ago didn't respond to the 6 different antibiotics that I was prescribed..I ended up getting IV cipro for 7 days twice day...Fast forward to now and the exact same thing has happened again and I am scared that I'm going to get an infection and die from it..I have gotten a new GI doc who says I was on entocort for way too long It has taken me 18 months to wean from 3 caps a days to 1..is anyone out there with similar problems?[/QUOTE]

I am still lost on the way you take the medication. Entocort is made to absorb in the the lower GI tract, unlike prednisone so sin theory less systemic than pred. But ann enema medication taken orally?. My son works in a pharm and this is not something he
can find anything about.

I don't think they have that in the US.

wow - I took myself off of Budesonide (entocort) right after I got bronchitis. It's been 10 days and I'm still not over it. 'been coughing so much rib muscles are sore. I can't believe this medication is even allowed to be on the market. I hope the residual effects are not long - I was only on it for a few days. I feel sorry for the people who are having problems because of this med