• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overconfidence in feeling good

sawdust

I have recently relapsed and have been trying to keep up on, seemingly, all the new sorts of information out there regarding Crohn's since I last looked. I have been well for a number of years, which was a period of time where I decided quit reading up on the disease, to not look at the pictures, to not read of others’ suffering, frustration, tests, nasty medications, surgeries, and pain. While I’m not entirely comfortable sharing my story here, I have found this forum and have certainly benefited from the information here. The new member introduction stories especially have shown me similarities and differences between my experiences and yours, collectively, that have caused me to feel better about some things and to not feel so different or alone in this for others. I hope that my story here can help someone else, even in just the slightest of ways.

I was diagnosed with a mild-to-moderate case of Crohn's seven years ago in my late 20s. I got my first flare during a stressful time at work, but the pain was more than butterflies, anticipation, or upset stomach. I couldn’t understand any of these symptoms well enough myself, let alone explain it sufficiently to friends and family. I can still picture myself on the phone to my family doctor, doubled over in pain, looking down at my belt dangling in the loops, pants unbuttoned, and with a painful midsection that no longer fit in these pants either. I had lost about 20% of my weight, but my stomach grew and grew. I had seen my doctor a few times about this pain and vomiting before, but everything we had tried to that point was related to stress, ulcers, acid problems, or other maladies that are probably much more common or likely, but also not helping me.

I was referred to a GI doctor, who put me through the battery of tests we all know and love. From the beginnings of my pain to my diagnosis, it was about a year through all the “let’s try this,” “don’t eat that,” and “what about this?” Don’t get me wrong. I don’t blame the doctors and I understand that diagnosis is often a process of logical elimination, and that for something as “rare” as Crohn's, it’s not at the top of the picking order. At the time, I had no idea what was the matter with me, and in fact, that process of elimination went from common, minor inconvenience kinds of possibilities, to much more worrisome, or even life-threatening possibilities. The more time and tests that went by, the more concerned I got. I was asked a number of times to rank my pain on a scale of 1-10, but I didn’t know how to answer this question, usually picking some arbitrary number in the middle or relating it to some previous number I had given about the pain. All I knew for sure, that this was the worst pain that I had ever experienced in my life. Was this as painful as getting shot? Giving birth? A terrible burn? I wasn’t sure, and I always thought those things would hurt more, but I never knew how to answer that question based on what I thought more pain might feel like.

By the time I got a diagnosis of Crohn's, I was largely feeling better already through the time that had passed and revised diet. I started taking Pentasa and started brushing up on the information about this disease I had never heard of before. I had good days and bad for a while, but the bad were never like I had before, and they became fewer and fewer, as I really tightened down my diet, kept a food diary, and really began to learn what worked, and didn’t work, for me.

In the previous year, however, everyone knew I was sick, I missed some work, and especially family and close friends had seen me at some point when I was off somewhere doubled over in a tight little ball wincing away the pain. I had told some of them about the vomiting, the cramping, the blood, the tests, the nasty stuff I had to drink, the preps, the diets, etc, and now I had something to tell them that I wasn’t really interested in sharing with most people. And for those I did want to tell, I was largely unable to explain to them in a way they could understand. Like my 1-10 pain scale experience, I think my explanations reminded them more of the time they ate one too many tacos or how bloated they were after Thanksgiving dinner. While their understanding may not have been that short of the truth, I never felt like they understood the way I thought I was explaining things. These were people who had sacrificed on my behalf over the past year; people who took me for procedures, loved me, called me, had revised their schedules, dealt with my newly found unreliability and unpredictability in response to what I could or couldn’t do that day. I wanted them to understand, but I don’t think that happened like I thought it might.

And so, I became the “sick guy,” the already skinny guy who lost all that weight, the guy who takes 20 pills a day, and the guy who went to the doctors every other week. “How’s it going?” became “how are you feeling?,” and simple, spontaneous gatherings and hanging out with friends became planned events with special menus, restaurants chosen according to their compliance with my diet, despite the fact that I know people aren’t particularly fond of that food. I was the guy who the pharmacist didn’t even have to count out his medicine – they just put his label right on the bottle from the manufacturer, and I didn’t like that I felt that everyone was sacrificing on my behalf. Despite feeling better, I was surrounded by reminders that I was sick. People reminded me every day and I didn’t want to be that guy anymore.

And so I was determined not to be. Feeling better, in conjunction with a much better understanding of the diet that works for me, I stopped taking my medicine and continued to “normalize” my diet with exception of very few foods. I felt great – completely normal – for six years. I went to work reliably, I traveled, and lived virtually pain-free for a long time.

Fast forward to two months ago, when I became severely constipated. I had had bouts with constipation here and there before in my life, but this was worse than anything I had ever experienced before – truly terrible. I eventually got that under control with over-the-counter type things and vowed that my low fiber diet would never do that to me again. I had felt so good for so long, that I had no thoughts whatsoever about what changing my diet might do. It was wonderful for a while; salads, fruits, vegetables – raw even!, wheat bread, grain this, and beans that -- all the things I had missed so much and they tasted so wonderful! But, of course, this turned out to be a very bad idea.

The pain returned, I had other symptoms that I knew what it was almost immediately, and lost 10 pounds in two weeks. At first, I tried to avoid going to the doctor, hoping I would just kind of snap out of it, learn my lesson, and get a reprieve from my mistake, but my energy levels became so low and the pain was worse than I had remembered. I was coming home from work, falling asleep, awaking the next morning and going to work, sometimes eating little or nothing during the day, and I knew that I needed to go back to the doctor. I am now on prednisone and Pentasa again and am awaiting more from that battery of tests we all know and love and back into this dreaded cycle.

At first I was angry and got depressed, but I am trying to keep a good perspective and have been feeling much better of late – certainly not where I want to be, but markedly improved. My goals are the same as they have ever been: feel good, get off the meds, and use this experience positively over time to help avoid this in the future.

Welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing your story here. It is rough when we go out of remission and re-live all the pain and misery of crohn's. I think time has a way of glossing over how bad it really can be. I hope they get you back into remission, and quickly.

Oh, I understand about being the "sick" one. Sometimes you just want to be you without "sick". I think one of the worst parts of this disease is that it tends to get you so young. ( I was in my mid 20ies) It's Hard to not be the sick one with 15 scripts a month and wondering where the bathroom is every time you leave your house..

One way I have found to describe crohn's symptoms to non-crohnies is the stomach flu. I just got over a bought of it and yes it is QUITE similar. Even the lack of energy for the next 4-5 days after the "acute" part ends.

Best of luck to you and I hope you start to feel better soon!

sawdust

Thanks, Nica. Yes, I'm the "sick one" again. :( Well, it was one of the primary motivations for me before, so maybe it'll work in my favor again. :/

Tests are done and I'm on my way. Nothing in the really bad or scary category, so that's good news. Still working to feel better and not over do it.

And for those of you who read this and are undergoing tests or are trying to figure out what's going on with you, I wanted to encourage you. The first time I went through all the tests, they started at my mouth and went to the other end. ;) Lots of tests with no results until they got the right one(s). This time around, I just had less tests by about 75% - just the ones that the dr found helpful last time.

sawdust

I was able to go over some test results with my GI yesterday and ask plenty of questions. I asked him if he could use the "R" word, and he did! :panda:

I am still (hopefully) clearing up an abscess with antibiotics and need to follow up on some eye pressure, but I'm off the pred two weeks now and on my way. It's hard for me to remember how bad it was so many years ago, but I think I can safely say that this flare was the worst so far. Reading around here though, I know it's nothing like some of have experienced.

Thank you to everyone here. When I first got diagnosed years ago, I didn't think I would get any value from talking about it, listening to others, or reading about the disease, but this turned out to be untrue. I'm better informed, and have a waaaaay better understanding of everything from procedures, meds, and tests to relationships, food prep, and the most ridiculous and uniformed things ever said to patients with a chronic disease (I can't believe some of the stuff in there).

Hi there!

I know what you mean by being the "sick" person all the time... I was just diagnosed and it seems every question out of everyone's mouth is "How are you feeling?"... sometimes I even forget that I'm sick (if I'm having a moment or two without symptoms) and then someone has to remind me.

I'm sorry you're having symptoms again... I can see how that would frustrate the heck out of anyone. I hope it can be cleared up without too much trouble, until then...

Cheers!

I compare getting sick again after a long term remission with going through seven stages of grief. Like the denial, anger, bargaining, depression, etc.

Astra

Hiya sawdust

You've been thro so much, so here's hoping this current flare has been kicked into touch and never rears it's ugly head again!
Besta luck to you
Joan xxx

sawdust

I compare getting sick again after a long term remission with going through seven stages of grief. Like the denial, anger, bargaining, depression, etc.
Absolutely. This may sound completely unreasonable to someone who doesn't have IBD, but when I relapsed in the Fall, at first I pleaded, hoped. and prayed that it might just be a weird out-of-season flu bug or some terrible food poisoning that I picked up somewhere. My symptoms didn't match up well with those, but I was hoping nonetheless. No healthy person would wish for any of that most likely, but it's all I wanted at the time. That's denial and bargaining, but I was plenty POed and depressed as well.

But, in a positive light, and the "acceptance" part, I definitely learned more about Crohns and myself this time around. I (re)discovered how much I actually do like and trust my GI when I need him, and that talking with my family about it is a better policy than trying to suffer in silence (and doing a bad job at it). And, as a part of learning so much more about being a Crohns patient - especially from this community - I think I was able to better interact with my doctor, ask better questions, and make better decisions about my tests and treatment.

I totally get your message about those around you...they think you'll be over it in a week or two but it keeps going and going...and you get fed up not knowing if you can do things...one day you feel great (or relatively good) and the next you feel like crap. Everyone keeps asking "feeling better?" and after a few weeks you get fed up saying no....I just say "one day at a time". Great to see you got thru this flare...I am hoping I can cut this one off...I never really had a flare like this and am getting symptoms I never had like night sweats, more nausea, B & M (but this may have something to do with the C Diff I am trying to knock out). I agree it is great to read the postings here and get better educated about real life examples and not medical jargon. March on sawdust and keep those Crohnies away!