• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Welcome Vince

Hi, I was very happy to discover a forum for a disease that has effected my life for almost 20 yrs. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease after I was hopitilized for over a week after being rushed in emergency with very high fever and constipation. I required surgery and am still having problems coping with it. I still take Pentasa and Questran but I recently had a flare up and was hospitilized again. As those who suffer from IBD know infections can occur as well. I'm very limited to what I can do physically. It would be nice to share similiar experiences with members on here. I should have looked for a board for support and to support others sooner. Sorry If I spoke too much for my first time. Wishing everyone on here a Happy New Year 2011.

Astra

Hi Vince
and welcome

I had an infection back in Jan 2010, but after a week in hospital and Metronidazole and 11 months of Prednisolone and Entocort, I'm feeling good and in remission.
It is possible to get there, eventually!
Glad you found us, stick with us for lots of support
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thank you for the welcomes Astra and Nyte.. I haven't received any visitor messages or many replies so I must be doing something wrong LOL. I was given asacol for my colon infection and take now take up to 16 pentasas a day plus potassium pills. I recently had drainage for a huge abscess in my colon. I weigh only 116 right now. I'll keep you in my prayers and would appeciate the same thanks :)

hi Vince, welcome to the forum :)

i only moved your post into this area a few hours ago, which would explain why there's not many replies so far.

i hope you find lots of helpful info here, plus make some friends with our wonderful members - and i also hope you start to put some weight on soon and feel better!

have you ever discussed vitamin B12 with your doctor? if you've had a certain part of your bowel removed, or that part is diseased/compromised, then B12 injections are something you may need. you'd think that we can assume our medical carers would always make sure this is addressed with relevant patients, but sadly it's not the case, and many of us only find out after months of feeling debilitated that we're actually lacking in B12, so it's something to think about..

anyway, Happy New Year to you too - any problems using the forum, just shout.

:)

Hi Vince,

It only took me 47 years to find a forum! Luckily I'm in remission now, and trying to get off a steroid.

Hope you can find your way back to feeling better,
Sandy

Dx 1963
Now on:
Asacol
Azathioprine
Rowasa
Budesonide (sprinkled lightly in Rowasa, shaken, not stirred)
Folic acid

My Doctor is more concerned about my very low potassium level because My bowel control has gotten worse and I was experiencing heart palpations due to the problem.. I can go in my underpants without warning and it's very depressing, The Questran helps but sometimes I need to take it twice a day. I was given B 12 injections for a brief period and use over the counter supplements now. The Potassium is prescribed and to be taken 4 times a day. Thanks for your welcome and Happy New Year to you too :)

hi Vince, welcome to the forum :)

i only moved your post into this area a few hours ago, which would explain why there's not many replies so far.

i hope you find lots of helpful info here, plus make some friends with our wonderful members - and i also hope you start to put some weight on soon and feel better!

have you ever discussed vitamin B12 with your doctor? if you've had a certain part of your bowel removed, or that part is diseased/compromised, then B12 injections are something you may need. you'd think that we can assume our medical carers would always make sure this is addressed with relevant patients, but sadly it's not the case, and many of us only find out after months of feeling debilitated that we're actually lacking in B12, so it's something to think about..

anyway, Happy New Year to you too - any problems using the forum, just shout.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for your welcome Sandy, Was surgery the only option when you were diagnosed? Glad to hear you are in remission now . So far I was never given a steroids just iron tablets and pentasa from the beginning. Take Care.

Hi Vince,

It only took me 47 years to find a forum! Luckily I'm in remission now, and trying to get off a steroid.

Hope you can find your way back to feeling better,
Sandy

Dx 1963
Now on:
Asacol
Azathioprine
Rowasa
Budesonide (sprinkled lightly in Rowasa, shaken, not stirred)
Folic acid

Hello Vince!

I've been on Asacol for about 10 years now and find it's really doing the job.
Any questions just ask away and I think we had quite a few join right when you
did and therefore it took some time to bring you back up to the top again.

Enjoy your stay here....it's a great place to relax, find answers or just vent.

Welcoming Hugs~Nancy

HI Vince and welcome. I'm kinda new to all this too and believe me when I say their are some awesome people here with great advice and answers to questions. Is the prednisone helping you to put some weight back on? It sure helped me and now I'm trying to figure out how to get it off again!! LOL

Happy New Year to you :)

Hi Nancy, I was given asacol 400 mg briefly but I was still having problems with bowel control... The questran sometimes works for less than half a day. It's not being able to sometimes make it to the bathroom that's most upsetting. Thanks for your welcome:)

Hello Vince!

ve been on Asacol for about 10 years now and find it's really doing the job.
Any questions just ask away and I think we had quite a few join right when you
did and therefore it took some time to bring you back up to the top again.

Enjoy your stay here....it's a great place to relax, find answers or just vent.

Welcoming Hugs~Nancy

Sara, I've not taken prednisone only because I was in remission after my surgery and was was my normal weight. The timing has been bad for me. I was receiving disability but it was taken away from me. I hadn't seen my main Doctors for a year the same time my Crohn's flared up again and was hospitalized this October. I take the pentasas, questran , potassium and b- 12. As I am typing, I need to take another bathroom trip very depressing but normal for me. Happy New Year to you too :)

HI Vince and welcome. I'm kinda new to all this too and believe me when I say their are some awesome people here with great advice and answers to questions. Is the prednisone helping you to put some weight back on? It sure helped me and now I'm trying to figure out how to get it off again!! LOL

Happy New Year to you :)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Vince and a happy new year to you also!

I am glad that you have now joined us and as I am sure you have already seen, there are many here who will be able to discuss similar experiences as you have had.

Hope to see you around more in 2011 :).

Thanks Mikey for the welcome and info. I would like to have the chance to really communicate with other members on here. But I think males are always given a tougher time when they are newbies on any boards. I don't know why.

Welcome to the forum Vince and a happy new year to you also!

I am glad that you have now joined us and as I am sure you have already seen, there are many here who will be able to discuss similar experiences as you have had.

Hope to see you around more in 2011 :).

Hi Vince,

Fortunately, I've avoided surgery, except for a fistula when I was about 15. Back then they used prescribed azulfidine, which was an early form of Pentasa or Asacol. I was also put on prednisone as a teen for years. Probably cut my height by 6" but it worked. It also gave me moon face, which was not pretty, especially in high school, and now I have early osteoporosis and glaucoma, possibly as a result. The list of side effects of prednisone is somewhat alarming.

The worst part of getting it in 1963, though, was that it wasn't thought of as an autoimmune disease. Instead it was thought to be somehow due to "stress" or other emotional problems. I saw psychiatrists for years with no effect. Of course, the shrinks never dealt with how to actually deal with Crohn's disease. So I was left with this feeling of being somehow "damaged goods," effects of which I'm still dealing with today (but I'm working them out slowly, with a good therapist).

Best wishes,
Sandy

Hi Sandy, I'm sure it must have really been a tough ordeal being dianosed with Crohn's at a tender age and back when many options weren't available or medicines used today in treating it. Sorry to hear the mental scar this has left you as well. Before I was diagnosed the doctor smiled and thought I had a cold and suggested plenty of vitamin C for the very high fevers I started getting out of nowhere continuously. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Take care, Vince

Hi Vince,

Fortunately, I've avoided surgery, except for a fistula when I was about 15. Back then they used prescribed azulfidine, which was an early form of Pentasa or Asacol. I was also put on prednisone as a teen for years. Probably cut my height by 6" but it worked. It also gave me moon face, which was not pretty, especially in high school, and now I have early osteoporosis and glaucoma, possibly as a result. The list of side effects of prednisone is somewhat alarming.

The worst part of getting it in 1963, though, was that it wasn't thought of as an autoimmune disease. Instead it was thought to be somehow due to "stress" or other emotional problems. I saw psychiatrists for years with no effect. Of course, the shrinks never dealt with how to actually deal with Crohn's disease. So I was left with this feeling of being somehow "damaged goods," effects of which I'm still dealing with today (but I'm working them out slowly, with a good therapist).

Best wishes,
Sandy