• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abdominal muscles

I am trying to improve my general fitness. Since new year I have been doing a fitness dvd 3 times a week. One of the exercises is an abdominal crunch type thingy, where you lie on your back, hands behind your head, bring your legs up and move elbows to opposite knee. I have been doing a modified version and just sort of working my legs in time. But yesterday I tried the full exercise (maybe 10 reps). Today my stomach is quite sore. I'm pretty sure it's just muscle pain. Should I carry on doing the full exercise because the soreness means it's working? Should I do something gentler again, or less reps, and build up gradually? And is it likely to make my Crohn's flare up again? (I have no symptoms other than fatigue and occasional mild stomach ache/ diarrhoea if I eat something naughty)

What type of sore? I am guessing sore muscles. just give yourself 2-3 days of rest before you do it again. Go at the same intensity. You should find the next day, you won't feel as sore. Muscles generally ache a lot worse when you first try and work them. They have not been activated that hard in awhile. It should not make your crohn's worse, but I am no doctor. Just try distinguish muscle pain from crohn's pain, and also pains of just being winded, or drinking too much fluid while working out. I never ever felt worse crohn's wise from working out.

Thanks, ziggy. I'm just a bit wary because when I was flaring I struggled to walk for more than 5 minutes before my stomach hurt. But this pain is definately muscular.

really easy to hurt those guys. did you have surgery yet? I am 18 months post surgery and still really lacking any development in the lower abs. Doing a very light situp type exercise as part of my training for general fitness and it is such a trouble spot for me.

No surgery, just flab from months of treating my abs so gingerly, because when I was flaring it just hurt too much to use them! I'm still taking it easy, I do maybe 3 or 4 crunches and that's it, because my stomach feels more Crohnie the next day.

Hi Rebecca,
You might want to consider a different approach to your abs because despite popular opinion the primary function of your abs (really your core) is stabilization. When you work your core you should focus on 3 muscle groups: rectus abdominus (classic abs), obliques (space between rectus abdominus and erector spinae) and your erector spinae (lower back). *i apologize for any misspelling i don't have my anatomy book handy

I would suggest exercises like:
The plank
Side Plank
Back extensions

This will work your body as a unit instead of just flexing your spin forwards and putting pressure on your sore intestines.

I know when i am at the gym whenever I sucker myself into doing crunches I always regret it because it makes my 'crohns spot' so sore.

Hope that helps :)

The exercise dvd I use has all over body exercises, so it does include the plank, and lots of exercises that challenge your balance, (like lifting one knee up and touching it to your opposite elbow) so if I keep that up and just miss out the crunches that will do just as much good? I just feel like I'm wimping out or something!

First off, never feel like your wimping out because you are avoiding activity for your health. That is like saying someone allergic to peanuts is wimping out by not eating a peanut butter sandwich they were served lol

Second, depending on what your goals are from your fitness routine a total body plan is probably better for you than trying to isolate any particular muscle group.

I would say any exercise that you feel comfortable doing is better than no exercise.

Best of luck

Try Core Rhythms dvd's-they work great. The idea is ab exercises that don't involve floor work through dance moves. Since my surgery I can tolerate these much better than the traditional exercises, plus it's more effective for me. Plus you get the cardio in at the same time, and it's a little corny so it's fun. You can check them out on Amazon.