• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

If you look real close you might see scars, but me, yeah me I’m only seeing stars

If you look real close you might see scars, but me, yeah me I’m only seeing stars

I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when i was 16 years old. Years before that i was diagnosed with anemia. I never would have went to the doctor if it wasn't for my mom. When i was 16 i was really athletic and played every sport i could. My only symptom was when i had to go number 2 its was all blood. i was treated and i pretty much lead a normal lifestyle minus taking horsepills everyday. i think i was on pentasa at the time. The older i got the poorer i became.. So i stopped taking my pills. When i was about 19 i had so much pain i couldnt even get up off the couch anymore. i lost about 30 pounds before i made it back to the doc. He then put me on sulfasalazine. About a year later my pain came right back. My doc accused me of not taking it all the time. Which i was taking all the time because i didnt want the pain to come back. I then started going to a different doc. He told me the meds i was on i wouldnt be able to have kids with so i immediately stopped taking that and switched to asacol. It worked for a year and i had no symptoms. I was going to school at the time and again had no money. So i stopped paying for meds again. Same old story. I was then hospitalized for 6 days over easter...i cant begin to explain how bad that was. i was then put on 6mp and humira. Its been three years since the hospital. I have recently had a reduction surgery. i had 11 inches taken out and had to have a illiostomy. i am still on humira and 6mp. Tomorrow i go in to have the illiostomy taken out. I look back on when i was younger and think of how stupid i was, not taking medications and not listening to people who know what they are talking about. I wish i could go back and change that but can't. I do hope that if you are going through the same thing you learn from me. If you ever wanna talk send me a message :) later.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Manderson and welcome fellow Wisconsinite! Good luck tomorrow with having the ileostomy reversed. I haven't had a stoma but there are plenty of people on here who have had that done and reversed. If you check out the stoma subforum, there should be lots of people on there who can tell you what to expect with the reversal.

Oh, and I can relate to having no money! Some of these meds are really expensive! Fortunately I have pretty good prescription coverage. I'm on Entocort which is about $1500 per month without insurance - my copay is $75. It's ridiculous!

Astra

Hi Manderson
and welcome

I wished that I could go back and do everything different the day I was taken to A&E in an ambulance, wished that I hadn't been so bloody stupid and wished that I had taken my meds.
I didn't have Crohn's anymore, it had gone! WRONG!!!
So I hear ya bro! And it was only last year! Not when I was young!
Now I don't dwell on the past, it's sooooooooooooo yesterday!
So good luck with your op, and we'll see you around the forum, let us know how you get on.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

i am way better off money wise than i was back then, but im paying less for meds now. crazy how that works. i take humira (which is also verrrrry expensive) and my copay is $45. but humira has a program if you apply for it that you only pay $5!!! i was paying $45 for years. That is something i thought i should throw out there for ppl taking humira.

i am way better off money wise than i was back then, but im paying less for meds now. crazy how that works. i take humira (which is also verrrrry expensive) and my copay is $45. but humira has a program if you apply for it that you only pay $5!!! i was paying $45 for years. That is something i thought i should throw out there for ppl taking humira.
Same with me! When I started Humira it was a $50 copay. Towards the end of my run it cost$5. But I didn't have to apply to any program. One week it was $50, the next week it was $5, haha!

Shoulda woulda coulda...Don't beat yourselves up over that! It is what it is....I think that is going to be my new by line! :) Give yourself some peace! Sue