• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well...another newbie lands.

Not sure how this will help. Maybe it will be an online journal...for thoughts, feelings, advice, or just rhetorical ramblings.

Anyhow, the Reader Digest version of my journey to Crohn's Disease began 7 months ago. With lots of the dreaded D. Throw in a bunch of miscellaneous illnesses that never really cleared up for months and a bunch of tests of expensive tests...and voila!

Was diagnosed 4 days before Christmas. And lost my job 2 weeks later (due to company folding...not health).

So...needless to say, 2011 is not off to a great start.

Suffering from bouts of exhaustion (which I guess will be the norm going forward), stiff joints, cramping, and my very first bloody BM.

I'm taking an arsenal of drugs, including Prednisone (which, at the time, I knew nothing about).

Doctor said it was type of steriod...to which I interrupted..."Like Schwarzenegger 'riods??"

The doctor paused, then said, "and you should avoid alcohol or such."

Well played, doc. Well played.

Anyhow, dose is only 40 mg but already having side effects...like being really...really....really... H U N G R Y! Also, m hands are shaking and occasional headache. Guess it could be a lot worse.

Guess not much else to say...other than hello and I'll be lurking.

Hello Crohn-Magnon! and welcome!:)
There is a lot of info on the forum, so lurk to your hearts content!
Don't forget to join in on the discussion once in a while!
Sorry about the new diagnosis and having to take prednisone. I got back acne, moon face, massive amounts of energy, and wild mood swings! But it helps short term and is often a necessary evil.:goodluck:

haha, Schwarzenegger.....welcome!!!! i was diagnosed last year, in April, but still feel i am VERY new to this disease. you'll find out a lot helpful things and things that may terrify you, as i have..good luck with the prednisone and i hope you're feeling well these days.

Welcome!

I think a lot of us get the pred hunger! I ate so much when I was on it, like 5 proper meals a day. I'm yet to lose the weight I piled on.

I've done quite a lot of lurking on here, there's nothing wrong with that, I do join in more now though.

I'm sure you'll find some useful info on here. Everyone is very very friendly so feel free to vent any frustrations or ask what may seem the most ridiculous questions. Oh, and just a heads up, we're pretty un-gross-outable. There's never too much information!

Astra

Hi Crohn-Magnon
and welcome

On a positive note, that's a quick dx! Some of us have had to wait years for that!
Good luck with the Pred, I think it's a fab drug, evil yes, but magic!
I had tons of energy and ate like a little pig! I had the jitters and shakes too, but it'll pass, I was also speedy and wizzy, but I loved it!
Enjoy the forum!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx