• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fecal Transplants

Hi all. A few of you have mentioned Dr. R David Shepard in Tampa. I am actually a patient of his. I have Crohn's and have undergone the fecal transplant treatments in conjunction with taking Low Dose Naltrexone ("LDN"). I believe that they would work for UC as well. I would highly recommend you consider having Dr. Shepard treat you (or finding a G.I. in your area that uses the same combination of FT treatments and LDN). I had excellent results. It does take a few weeks for the colon to recolonize with the good bacteria but once it took, I it was a game changer for me. I also take VSL#3 and Saccharomyces boulardii daily for priobiotic maintenance.

I have seen many doctors over the years, including the top doctors in Boston. They simply do not compare to the the guidance I have received from Dr. Shepard. He is a great down to earth guy with innovative thinking and is not afraid to use natural treatments in conjunction with western medicine to get the job done.

I just thought I would share my experience. There are other options out there than having to use immune suppressant drugs.

Dave_Tampa
Where has your inflammation been located?I'd like to know if can help for small intestine Crohn's.
thanks!

xmdmom,

My inflammation has been historically lower left sided. The diagnosis was UC for quite some time. However, then the dignosis changed to Crohn's once they saw the inflammation spread a little higher and run a little deeper in the tissue. I would think you have a good shot of it helping. Especially when administered through a colonoscopy procedure and adding the use of LDN. I had it administered through a colonoscopy and endoscopy. So it pretty much lined my entire intestines with good bacteria.

For me it made a lot of sense. The doctor had me on 2-3 weeks of potent antibiotics to kill all the bad bacteria (of course some good was lost as well). But immediately after the course of antibiotics the good bacteria was administered through the procedures to help recolonize my entire intestines. Out with the bad in with the good.

fecaltransplant.org/fecal-transplants-how-to-do-it-yourself-video/

Enough talk. See a success story of a guy who is now symptom free for 2 years after a DIY :poop: transplant procedure and left behind 12 years UC.

:goodluck: for everyone!

BUMP.

where did everyone who ACTUALLY DID THIS, go? i don't care as much about the theories and arguing right now as much as people who actually gave this a try. what were your long term results? can you provide more blunt detail? how did you get that thing up there! i cant imagine how i will do all this.

i saw the video in the above post recently before finding this thread and was already about to begin FMT tomorrow. 3x a week, for 5 wks, as a start

hope to see success

Finding a good donor is the hardest part of the procedure I presume. It seems like you did it, tested or untested it doesn't really matter if you trust him / her. Please keep on posting and share us the symptoms you have. Thanks.

unfortunately, a ctscan recently picked up some issues as i was ramping up with this alternative. i have an abscess in my small intestine and have to handle that, THEN get on remicade/mp6 and get in some kind of remission before i can experiment with FMT unfortunately. this would be the most effective way to do it. forced to bide my time for now!

I met with my GI today, sayin that I will start FMT any day now, he still say that it´s too early and that there are no evidence blablabla.

So I told him, like I did before, that there ARE studies for FMT and crohns and that I would send him the links. Are they all in this thread?

i_eat_constantly: Crohns in the ileum I presume? Any other problems, h pylori or parasies? Please tell about your FMT-story

sir clausin,

i am at mt. sinai, and it has been difficult to get tested parasites or anything besides crohns. i will check if tested for h. pylori, is there anything else?

i did a stool test yesterday and im not really sure what to test for, none of these doctor's seem to be looking for anything

xmdmom,

My inflammation has been historically lower left sided. The diagnosis was UC for quite some time. However, then the dignosis changed to Crohn's once they saw the inflammation spread a little higher and run a little deeper in the tissue. I would think you have a good shot of it helping. Especially when administered through a colonoscopy procedure and adding the use of LDN. I had it administered through a colonoscopy and endoscopy. So it pretty much lined my entire intestines with good bacteria.

For me it made a lot of sense. The doctor had me on 2-3 weeks of potent antibiotics to kill all the bad bacteria (of course some good was lost as well). But immediately after the course of antibiotics the good bacteria was administered through the procedures to help recolonize my entire intestines. Out with the bad in with the good.

@Dave_Tampa
I'm glad to hear that you like Dr. Shepard. I'm having a consultation with him soon. My questions to you: how many infusions did you have, did you use your own donor poop (if not, did Dr. Shepard use fresh or frozen poop) and how can you tell if your gut is colonized with the good bacteria. I'm also from the Boston area. Thanks.

I had the fecal transplant procedure through the Mayo last March. I have Crohns, but the intense pain i was having was caused by cdiff. I tried all the antibiotics but it kept coming back.

My wife was going to be the donor, as she has always been healthy as a horse. But to our surprise, she tested positive for some little bug and I couldnt use her. Instead, the Mayo has some anonymous donors who have been screened, and I had to go that route.

I am sad to say that i dont think it worked. Within a week the pain was back and i was back on antibiotics. However, after that course the cdiff appeared to be clear for a few months. I did have positive tests again for cdiff. As a result, i have been forced to stay on low does of flagyl on a daily basis.

Rockin on: Wow, that´s odd! Can´t you use another donor? Maybe the donors you tried with doesn´t have what you need in the bacteriadepartment?

Where is your crohns located? What other meds are you using?

I would like to think that FMT, providing that it´s used a couple of times, works in almost everyone and with a 100% hitrate. I never heard of anyone where it did not work.