• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Our story, UC and tots

our story, UC and tots

Well, I'm glad to get connected here, and I saw a place for families like ours so no doubt I'll dig in and get connected more specifically. But a brief rundown of our story is this:

Our second son, Isaac, was diagnosed a few months ago with UC. He was 2 and a half. We recognized right away that it's a tricky business of taking care of / guessing about Isaac's condition and treatments, and that dealing with IBD in young kids isn't common. So we're really interested in connecting with families like ours.

Right now he is in a good way, stable, and on sulfasalazine. Just weaning off some steroids, which seemed to be effective we guess. Actually, he really seems to respond well to probiotics. Even though the 5-ASA in sulfasalazine is transmitted with the antibiotic agent. Anyway, we're new at all this and working through it the best we can.

We have been keeping a blog about it. I can't share the URL yet, but it's called IBDinourhome and it's hosted at blogspot, so you can probably get there if you want to read more. Probably we'll be more active on here and after some time, when I can post a URL you can just click and visit us for more of the details. :)

Also, we would like to get more links to the sites you like best or which tell your stories. So please feel free to overwhelm us.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi and :welcome:

Sorry you had to find yourselves here but on the upside this is a fab place for support and info. It's great to hear that Isaac is responding to treatment and I hope more than anything that he remains stable for a very long time to come.

We have a parents forum and there are quite a few members that have young children, of course feel free to post in any of the forums that you think are relevant..........

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Also there are many members that have had IBD since they were very young and are a wonderful wealth of knowledge, experience and inspiration.

I hope you don't mind but I will post the link to your blog for you.............

http://ibdinourhome.blogspot.com/

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Last edited:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Troy!! I visited your blog and must say I'm impressed. I hope you stick around because I think you'll have a lot to offer. I hope Isaac continues to do well. Early in my sons diagnosis, I too tried to control every aspect of his diet, meds, and supplements. At some point, things slowly returned to a more normal childhood for him. I'm still a hawk about his meds and supplements but he, on his own, has discovered which foods bother him. Of course, he's eleven. All the best, good luck!

Astra

Hi and welcome to you all!

I was impressed too with the blog, humourous and thoughtful.
I can't imagine what it's like with a toddler on steroids, I was like a bee on acid with them! And that was scary enough!
I have found that red meat kills me, terrible diarrhea, so I don't eat it any more, and I don't miss it at all.
Enjoy the forum, and we'll enjoy having you here!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks for the welcome, for posting the blogsite, and for visiting! I've been having a good time perusing the wealth of first-hand experience and observations and support we have here on this site.