• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum

Hi My name is Jennifer and I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in May 1976 after many years of pain and diarrhea throughout my childhood and all through high school years. Saw doctors but they didn't seem to know what it was. Finally had exploratory surgery at the suggestion of my gynecologist.Thats when I was finally diagnosed. At that time they removed 1 1/2 feet of my small intestine. I was on Prednisone and Azulfidine for 18 years and various other medications as well throughout this time.Ultimately had to have surgery again in January 1997. I now have a permanent ileostomy and have been mostly healthy and able to do many more things than I could prior to surgery.Also at the present time I take no medications for Crohn's disease.Well thats my story.

Astra

Hi Jennifer
and welcome

It must've been tough on Pred for many years, so glad you're feeling well and in remission.
Enjoy the forum, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Welcome to the forum Jennifer!:welcome:

Umm...18 years!?!?! On Pred!?!?!? You deserve some kind of award! :ybiggrin:

Enjoy the forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Everybody seems friendly on this forum. Yes, being on Prednisone was pretty tough for 18 years. It defininitely took its toll on my body. I had a broken leg due to the effects on my bones and I also have cataracts from the Prednisone. Currently have to take Actonel weekly for osteoporosis and also calcium supplements and Vitamin D of course. Had one lens replacement on right eye for cataract and will probably have the left eye done in the future. Who knows what other effects it has had that I dont yet realize. Jennifer

Thanks for the warm welcome. Everybody seems friendly on this forum. Yes, being on Prednisone was pretty tough for 18 years. It defininitely took its toll on my body. I had a broken leg due to the effects on my bones and I also have cataracts from the Prednisone. Currently have to take Actonel weekly for osteoporosis and also calcium supplements and Vitamin D of course. Had one lens replacement on right eye for cataract and will probably have the left eye done in the future. Who knows what other effects it has had that I dont yet realize. Jennifer
wow, you really do deserve an award, i'll not complain again after being on it for 6 months!! do plenty if weight bearing ex's now to improve your bone density.