• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Im new here too!

S

supergurl

I am 28, and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at 22. wow i cant believe it has been 6 years!! the first year of diagnosis was the worst year of my life. I thought I was going to die I was so sick. the year was filled with weight loss, extended hospital stays, and crazy side effects from prednisone, I had trouble with my vision and developed avascular necrosis in my knee and Hip from it. I had to give up playing a lot of sports because my joints couldn’t take the impact.

anyways. its been 6 years now. I still have joint problems, and still suffer from the disease, but have grown and build a strong relationship with my body. i take care of it so carefully and it lets me know when i need more sleep, and less stress or to eat differently. i have found a really big connection to my state of well being and the food I eat. I am so alert to it now. i stopped eating wheat and dairy and found some great sports with less impact.

this disease has also shaped my academic life in profound ways. i am pursuing a PHD in anthropology and have doing a lot of stuff about food and well being. I decided recently to look at metaphors of the immune system specifically in Crohns and colitis. It’s a personal journey and I am really interested in how people understand autoimmunity and how they understand and care for their disease. I hope you don’t mind if I look around here. I am pleased with this forum because a lot of people talk about alternative care. That’s what has really worked for me.

Welcome

Hi!
I wanted to drop in and say welcome to the forum! :)
I'm sure you will find plenty of useful information here...
and also make a lot of friends who are in the same boat.

Hugs~Nancy

Hi Supergurl.
Welcome
Everything you need to know your sure to find it here.
We are all friendly and knowledgeable(us old crohnies)lol :)