• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does long standing history of Crohns affect a man fertility

Hi all,

I joined this forum about a year ago. My husband is suffering from crohns. He was diagnosed when he was 15 he is 31 now. He is currently on Remiciade and it has been working well for him. I am very concerned as to how Remiciade will affect his fertility? He has used Prdinosone in the past on and off. I talked to his GI he said there is nothing to worry and he doesn't think that Remicade affects a mans fertility. Any suggestion or advice are welcome. I would really appreciate if I can get any kind of suggestion from male members who are going through the same situation. or are trying to start a family.

I have read a lot of about crohns and it effect on a woman's fertility but there is not much about it's effect on men.

Any suggestion or advice is appreciated.

extremely worried.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Pred can really mess with testosterone level, but considering that he's not on it continuously, that will most likely no be a huge problem. Sulfasalazine can cause issues with fertility in men (it's the sulfa part that does it), mesasalazine (sp?) shouldn't cause any issues.

Those are the only two meds that I know that can cause issues. You could ask your doctor to test his testosterone levels.

Last edited:
Pred can really mess with testosterone level, but considering that he's not on it continuously, that will most likely no be a huge problem. Sulfasalazine can cause issues with fertility in men (it's the sulfa part that does it), mesasalazine (sp?) should cause any issues.

Those are the only two meds that I know that can cause issues. You could ask your doctor to test his testosterone levels.

Thanks von folk. He is going to do some blood work and check his testosterone level. He hasn't been talking pentasa mesalamine for about two years. How does the testosterone level affect fertility. I have read on internet that it can have some serous side effects.

thanks again

Maryam,

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I meant to say shouldn't cause issues, Pentasa is fine, I have a habit of forgetting to type the negative contraction.
Well testosterone is a sex hormone, so if levels are low things may not work as well. My assumption is that low testosterone may hinder sperm production.

I am 31 years old and got Crohn's at 15 like your husband and been on similar meds. I am not married but I think my doctors would have advised me if these drugs effect fertility. It's never been mentioned so that should be a good sign.

Shouldn't do, I'd had Crohns for about 16yrs when my wife fell pregnant with our daughter, quickly too. She's healthy, no issues.

My wife gave birth to my son after 20 years of my Crohns. He's 3 now and just wonderful. I don't think i was on Humira at the time, but certainly years of Pred and other Crohn's drugs.

Also methotrexate should be stopped for 3 months before trying to conceive for both men and women. Its totally contraindicated.

I have done a sperm test last year and it was very good , bu last juanury results came with morphology issues ,the doctor said that mesalasine (Rowasa)could contribute to male fertility, i've just stopped it before doing another test ,
is it so normal to just stop taking rowasa.and could it really cause fertility problems.

Had crohn's for over 20 years when my daughter was conceived. Was on huge heaps of meds for almost 2 years previously, including almost 2 straight years of pred. My daughter is healthy as a horse. Not sure how remicade will affect as I started it a couple months after my daughter was born.

Fingers crossed for healthy and happy!