• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humria Question

My son has had crohn's since he was 3 and he is now 9, Jon is great, smart and funny kid, you would never know he suffers from this disease. We have been on several medications over the years. We are no where near remission and have never been. It is in 98% of his g/i tract, so surgrey is not an option for him either. We have been on Humria for 6 months now and we just went to the dentists for a check up. We were there in Aug for cavities and now there is a hard white bump on the front of his bottom gum and it was not there in Aug. Did anyone have this problem or hear of it, I am thinking the medication might have something to do with it. I looked onlien and did not see this mentioned from other people. He needs to go to an oral surgen now to check and see if it nothing or something.

Wendy (Mom)

Im on Humria and have realized that Doctors don't know to much a about this drug. I agree that it does help a lot of people however ive been having some weird side effects that are not listed. I hope someone has an answer for you ;-(

Im on Humria and have realized that Doctors don't know to much a about this drug. I agree that it does help a lot of people however ive been having some weird side effects that are not listed. I hope someone has an answer for you ;-(
Thank you and can I ask you what kind of side effects you have been having? My son was complaining that his heart felt like to was beating fast, I took him to the Heart doctor and they put a 24hr monetor on him on his day to receive the injection. Of course it did not pick it up during that time.

I have been having real bad heart pains almost like I am having a heart attack. I went to the E.R and he said that Humria would NOT Cause it. However I don't know what else it would be. Also I have gained 30 lbs, and am starting to get bad acne. Ive done some reading on it and the cancer part in really scaring me, I feel that it is a really new drug and maybe they don't know everything about it yet. Im going to go to the Doctors tomorrow and request for something diffrent. I don't want to be the one 3 months from now that ends up with a heart attack and them saying oh maybe we should add that to the list of side effects. I hope I can help, its so hard because you want to feel better but at what cost??? Have you read the makers diet??? If not you should im not a religious person however I have started following some of his ideas especially the vitamins and they have already made a HUGE diffrence.

Thank you for the information, it is hard to hear these thing, but he is just a little boy and I have always feared what these meds might cause. We are keeping in touch with the heart doctor and going to see an oral dentist about the bump on the gum.He has not gained any weight, in fact he lost 2lbs. did you contact the drug company Humira, they have a 24hr support system to help with questions and concerns. They also have a co-pay program, we only pay $5.00 a month for 2 injections. They even sent a nurse out to my house to teach me how to give to my son. I am planning to call them myself about Jon's gum issue and I did contact them about his heart they were very concerned and suggest we do not increase the medication until we make sure the heart is ok. Our doctor did not seem as worried about it, I think sometimes they think I am a crazy mom. I do not care, it is my job to watch our for him.

I pay that much as well, I have no insurance so I go to a clinic who got me set up with Humaria, You are not a crazy mom, we know best and we have gut feelings follow them.

Hi,
I'm 44 so this might not apply. But, when I was sick, I always wondered if the drugs were hurting more than helping. I guess because they never worked for me - and i was alwasy feeling lousy. Anyway, after my last sugery I'm in total remission. I'm still on Humira to ward off any future problems, but I have no side effects at all from it.

I guess it was my Crohn's causing all my issues before, not side effects from the meds.

Thank you the information, at this point some drugs work, but not for long. We always seem to go up and down and never really see remission. We have been on Panteza, Remicade, 6mp, methraxate and humira. No surgeries at this point and that might never be an option, he has it all over his g/ti tract from top to bottom (98%). People are telling that bump on his gum could be cancer and I am trying not freak out!