• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi Everyone!...in need of some guidance.

Hi Folks!

Hows is everyone?

I was originally diagnosed with colitis 2005/6 but after sending another camera crew up my you-know-what in 2008 the doc told me it was more like crohns with a dash of colitis.

Anyhoo. After a couple of years of passing blood in my stools I was put on these 'Elemental 028' drinks in November/December of last year. These helped greatly almost instantly, it was astonishing. However, over the past 3 or so weeks the blood has come back with a vengeance. I personally think it's down to alcohol. Not that I have much ever but I had a friend over 3 weeks ago and we have quite a bit plus fizzy drinks. That's what I think anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can help heal my bleeding ulcers?

Love,
Steve

I am not sure how to help your situation but wanted to say Welcome :)

Hopefully someone on here will have some good suggestions for you...

What treatment are you taking for CD/UC?

Only my opinion but i don't think alcohol will make you bleed.In a lot of people it will cause more BM's but not blood.If your GI tract is ulcerated you need to find the treatment to stop it or it could get worse.

Hi,

Im currently on 125mg Azathioprine, 2400mg Mezavant XL, and taking around 5 cartons of Elemental 028 Juice.

I dont think the alcohol caused the original bleeding but think maybe worsened it a few weeks ago...or maybe it was the carbonated drinks?

There is some link between Crohns and alcohol . . . . I think it's a bit tenuous but I know everyone gets affected by different things.
I have been off alcohol for 7/8 years but decided I'd had enough of that in october last year, got ill in december, have been in flare since.
Maybe it's just your bodies way of saying it doesn't like that combination??
As for the healing, my body likes plain foods only, white (not brown) bread/rice/pasta for a few days may be helpful-if you can eat with the elemental things??
Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Just a bit of advice from me. I find that alcohol and me do not get along at all. I quit drinking any kind of alcohol about 6 years ago but have had a few nights since then that I went out and did it up. It definetely did not agree with my system but like they say everyone is different. It does suck sometimes when my buddies are going out and I really know that I cant drink but I just deal with it and the next morning when everyone is hungover I usually feel better about not drinking. Good luck with your situation.

Thanks for your thoughts folks, much appreciated.

Monkey - Im trying to stay away from anything gluten just now whether it be brown or white. Ive read that anything wheat based should be cut out as it can irritate the gut with Crohns.

Im pretty much sticking to fish, chicken, and veg just now. And Ive started making veg based juices so I can try and absorb more nutrients and vitamins.

Cheers
Steve

Welcome!

Hey there,
I know that when i drink carbonated drinks like coke it makes my condition much worse with more bleeding and increased abdominal pain, so I try to avoid them as much as i can. Wish you the best of luck!

I've tried various diets, I was Gluten free for a year and that really helped with the bloating etc but didn't do anything with this flare. My GI put me on a low residue diet-which is basically nothing- that might be worth a shot if what you are doing atm isn't helpful. Seriously tho, every flare is different for me, just listen to your body, it'll sharp tell you what it doesn't want!! Hope you're improving!