• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feeling great after resection!

Hi, my name is Billy and Im from Mi. Had Crohns since 1992, and Im 39. I have been in remission forever, until last Oct! and that is when I had an abcess in my lower right. Did 1 week in Hosp then a drain was inserted, then taken out 1 week later and then back in hosp cause abcess came right back. Dr put a 1 inch incision in my lower right to drain it and then he wanted to due surgery! I put it off cause Halloween was couple days away and I have two daughters. A couple months went by and the incision closed up and a fistula opened right next to the cut. I began to feel like total crap and normally I am very active! racing mtn bikes and hitting lifetime fitness! By Jan I felt so sick I made a surgery date, and could not do anything but sit on the couch, I took a few weeks of work off and am so lucky I get full pay for the whole time I am off! no short term disability! I just had small bowel resection Feb 16 and got home 6 days later. The nurse had me up 9 hrs after surgery cause I was determined to get my body moving. The nurses and NA's were so kind and caring at Troy Beaumont in Troy MI! The best thing they did was to hold my arm or hand when they knew I was nervous or in pain, a little touch goes a long way. Recovery went perfect in hospital, no pain or infection! I was up and walking everyday! and soft foods 2 days later. Gas pains were by far the worst part of recovery, everything else was cake. Did I mention how nice the nurses and NA's were? So I am home and I feel like a new person, now I see how sick I was from the abcess. I actually didn't have a fistula, my small intestine was melting into my skin, then opening on the skin, almost like a fistula but no canal. Poision was leaking into my body and really making me sick. I have been to the store and walking up and down the street, but not over doing it. Choosing surgery was by far the best thing I have ever done and I can only imagine a few months from now how I will feel being fully recovered, when I feel so much better 9 days out! I just wanted to share a positive story! I see a lot of people are having issues post-surgery and I feel so lucky to be in the shape I am. The hardest thing about surgery was pre-op, just knowing what could happen when I was under, but I stayed strong mentally and that really helped. So by spring I will be ready to ride and hit the gym! Thanks for reading my story and I hope it helps someone that has to go through surgery. Oh yea, Dr took out 4 inch of small bowel and 1 inch of colon. The small section of colon was removed so he could connect 2 fresh pcs of intestine. Stay strong! Billy.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I love it! We need more of those. I'm still learning not to let Crohns get me down so often. Finding this forum has really helped me out. The people are friendly and very down to earth.

ameslouise

Hi Billy and Welcome!

Sounds like you have a great attitude and that is half the battle with this disease!

Hope the resection gives you relief for a long, long time!

- Amy

10 days since surgery and I feel, dare I say great! It scares me how sick and bad I felt pre-surgery. The abcess must of been leaking poision into my body and really making me sick. I see my dr. Tuesday and hopefully I will beable to eat normal food! I have had meat and bread and have had zero problems. I am a little nervous to eat pizza! as I am a bachelor and this is a major diet of mine! as well as take out like burgers and wings! I never have to worry about what I eat, but now the Dr. thinks I may be able to put on weight since I have some good insides now! Don't get me wrong, I also eat very healthy as I race mtn bikes and hit the gym and am very worried about what goes into my body. So all is well so far and I appreciate all the warm hello's from everyone! and who knew there were so many pretty woman with this crappy disease! oh yea, are any of you sick ladies single? just kidding! I will update soon, were going to costco right now so I can get out of this house! bye for now!

Astra

Hiya Billy
and welcome

so happy that you're happy and feeling great, hope it lasts forever!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Welcome,
so glad your re-section was a sucess,
are you having your blood monitored ? sometimes after a re-section your body doesnt digest B12 !

Going to see Dr. on Tuesday so I am going to ask about that, I know b12 is absorbed through the small intestine and I had some of that removed. 11 days out and I feel better every day! I see many people have issues trying to recover, I just really feel fortunate that I am heading in the right direction, it also helps I am staying at my ex's house and her and my daughters are really taking care of me! Thanks! Billy

Just an update, I went to the gym for a light cardio workout! feeling great! I am up 5.5 lbs, and am eating everything but nuts and steak. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for my health! Having fixed the leaking small bowel has improved my health! I am feeling great! oh, did I allready mention that! Take care! Billy

great to see that you are doing better. i used to love food, but had to cut down a lot because it would make me feel bloted easy.
did you ever get round to eatting some delicious pizza?

I am on a normal diet, Sushi was the first thing I ate, then some pizza! Deep dish and flat, I still haven't had steak, as I have had bad flares from steak, but I know the crohns is gone for now, so I should be able to eat it, but I am still scared! Oh yea, chicken fajitas were another flare maker, but I have had those like 5 times and felt great after! I have gained 6 lbss so far! I feel fat at 135! lol! Later, Billy. Stay away from those BK fish sandwiches!

hi glad your feeling so great, I too had a resection in Nov similar to you I also had an abcess and I can't believe how well I feel now, you really forget what 'normal' is until you feel normal!!! my energy levels are fine I haven't had my bloods checked yet but I honestly feel so well I doubt there would be anything wrong although it can take many months for B12 to diminish so I will get it checked at some stage. I was eating pretty much normally just after the surgery except fruit and veg which I was told to avoid for 6 weeks. It's a wee bit of trial and error at the mo to see whats fine and whats not. I've had steak loads of times and so far so good!!! the only things that upset me at the mo is raw veg, dark chocolate and too much alcohol (not that that puts me off though!!). I had a foot of sb and a wee bit of large intestine removed and it's the best thing I did. I also have been taken of all meds so am really pleased. Are you on any maintenance meds?? anyways glad your so well but don't overdo it your still recovering from major surgery and if you do to much at the gym it can cause a surgical hernia. Take care Alice

Alice, I am not overdoing it, the last thing I want to do is get another operation! lol! Glad you feel well! I am had cooked veggies but no raw, and some fruits, no oranges of grapefruits, tons of blueberries-stawberries-bananas. I have had everything except steak, as that scares the hell out of me cause proir I would flare from it, but I know I currently have no crohns but still scared of steak. It is a mental thing and I am going to try eating it prob in a few days. I am trying to accept feeling normal, its hard, cause I was sick for so long! so having no crohns at the moment is hard to take in, even though I feel 99% better since surgery! Good luck! or how you people say,"Cheers" Billy

HAHA
Thanks for the positive outcome story Billy! Glad to hear you are doing well and back at the gym. Are you back on your bike yet? I am also (was also) in to a lot of cycling and especially running... everything started b/c they thought I had arthritis in my hip from running so much and it has turned out to be Crohn's and endometriosis. Glad you are kicking Crohn's in the nuts! I think I will give it a good kick too once I have surgery/ more energy. this disease and the treatment is barbaric so it is great to hear a success story! I can not wait to put my running shoes back on :D

Stay strong!

Bloody fantastic billy
i have jst booked my first festival( weekend camping!!!)
Thats my way of kicking crohns in the butt :-D

Oh no what have i done lol

Thanks for the kind words! little update, I am going back to work in 2 weeks and have hit the gym almost every day! Not on the bike as Michigan trails are not thawing out yet! Oh yea, I have gained 11 lbs! and feel great! bad thing is my dam lucky jeans dont fit anymore! I will wait to buy new jeans as I am sure I will gain more lbs! thanks and good luck to all! Billy